Trains?

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Maxaxle

Trains?

Post by Maxaxle »

Theoretically, could trains be in GR's future? As in, for obstacles and such in stunt and movie-style tracks? For now, you could make train-based cars with 9999 weight and 9999 thrust/brakes, and set up the AI line so that it would simulate a train's path and speed at given points. And the AI starting points could be set so that one would put themselves first and leave the 'bots to the other 5 slots. In the future, however, there could be special slots and a special AI line and special bots that could be turned on or off separately.

What do you think?
Alex

Re: Trains?

Post by Alex »

Well some guy (i think it was Kskins) made a "Choo Train" a few years ago but it isn't very accurate. Here is an ingame image. Realistic trains would be theoretically possible though because there have been long vehicles made before. The only thing we wouldn't be able to do is to make it stick on the rails.
Attachments
shot0145.PNG
shot0145.PNG (8.47 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I once made a train, but it was a total mesh mess (although it looked fine in game), and although I do intend to remake it from scratch (not modifying one of Doorslammer's buses xD), I won't be reuploading that (unless I already did). Some other trains have been made other than that one, but they escape me at present. :)
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

At first I thought that having some special AI would be just a silly idea, and wouldn't really be needed for the game.

But then I thought it some more, and it would indeed be a cool way of creating some more life on some tracks by adding moving spectators (these would still have to be made from the 40 polys though...) or cars. But... It still wouldn't really be needed.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Like I said before, the least that can be done would be some sort of track with a train track running through it, with the AI line following the train track and the first slot being the only actual driving slot. I guess the pit line would be to a train station of some sort, but it could be strange to have train cars drive independently of their engines XD.

Also: perhaps not AI, but instead scripted objects of some sort. Something that mindlessly moves back and forth...
Paw

Post by Paw »

"Scripted objects" are not possible at all in this version, but AI "moving obstacles" are. And one train should be made of one "car", because otherwise as you forementioned, they will be driving separate, it would be hard to make them keep the same, small distance between them. Maybe if their top speed would be set low, and grip high, it would need some testing.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Paw wrote:"Scripted objects" are not possible at all in this version, but AI "moving obstacles" are. And one train should be made of one "car", because otherwise as you forementioned, they will be driving separate, it would be hard to make them keep the same, small distance between them. Maybe if their top speed would be set low, and grip high, it would need some testing.
1. By "AI "moving obstacles"" you mean AIs with obstacle-shaped cars?
2. I hadn't accounted for the train cars having different performance values. Perhaps max. accel. and nearly min. top speed as well as max. grip should remedy it, so long as the train is placed in single-file line.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Maxaxle wrote:
Paw wrote:"Scripted objects" are not possible at all in this version, but AI "moving obstacles" are. And one train should be made of one "car", because otherwise as you forementioned, they will be driving separate, it would be hard to make them keep the same, small distance between them. Maybe if their top speed would be set low, and grip high, it would need some testing.
:doh: No he means like traffic and police and stuff.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Alex wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:
:doh: No he means like traffic and police and stuff.
...So you're saying that there are tracks with stuff that moves!? I'm interested!
Paw

Post by Paw »

Maxaxle wrote:...So you're saying that there are tracks with stuff that moves!? I'm interested!
Ehhh, there aren't. But you can use actual AI drivers to act like obstacled. You can make city and draw AI lines around streets, so they will follow it. But there you won't be able to race with AI drivers.

To clarify: ingame only two things can move: up to 6 drivers with their cars, and pit-mens.