GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION

General discussion about your experience with the game.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION

Post by James »

Well, I guess it's time I commented on this - as I'd rather see people informed than upset, so here we go.

Development continues: Markku and I are hard at work. We will hopefully have some good news for you in the coming month or two - and we think you'll like it a lot. I obviously can't promise that it will satisfy everyone (you can never satisfy everyone), but we're thoroughly pleased with the progress that has been made. Please understand that this is an estimate, not a promise - we don't give exact dates and we usually don't give estimates... so consider this one a favour. It's a lot of added pressure trying to meet a fixed deadline, when your available time to work is variable... please try not to make us regret it :)

We read almost every post that is made on these forums relating to GR v1.10 and GR's future development, and many comments/ideas/suggestions are incorporated into the work we do. Since v1.10c, hundreds of hours of work have been undertaken in relation to GR - some of which you'll notice (e.g. new features, fixed bugs, etc.) and some you won't (behind-the-scenes performance optimisations, rewrites of some areas of the game, etc.). Every single bug in the bug report thread has been documented, tested and (if valid/reproduceable) lined up for a fix before our next release. Several of these bug fixes were massive undertakings and so have taken a lot longer than we'd initially hoped.

As Ivo alluded to, the rearrangement of the domain names is tied into our plans for the future of GR, as is not accepting donations at this time. We're very grateful to everyone who wants to, or has considered donating, but we want to 'do it right' and not accept donations until we're in a position to provide something worthy of those donations. We hope/believe that in the coming months you'll find good reason to help support development :)

I hope that helps to allay some peoples' fears and provide a little more insight on things!
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Yeah, I'm absolutely certain that it is worth waiting so long for the new version, as you know at 1.05 -> 1.10. :) It's more important that it will be released, and not when it's released. Therefore I (and other patient users) actually don't give a damn about release dates. ;)

Angee with the opinion of other members, I'll keep the fingers crossed for James & Markku. :bg:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I for my part just hope that it won't take another 8 years :D
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Its great to heat that you are working hard on developing GR :bg:
Don't need to rush with the release, we have became very patient about the matter :meditate: :mrgreen:

I have already set aside some $ for donation to this project :cool2:
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Martyn wrote:If GR went open source I think I'd stop playing because it would just become a mess.

There is nothing wrong with GR as it is, you say you left because you didn't like the game anymore so why come back demanding changes, that is stupid. If you don't like GR go and play another game, don't demand that GR change for you!!!
What does open source have to do with "becoming a mess"? There are plenty of open-source games that aren't a mess at all, and it's not like older versions or "official" versions would disappear. :down:

And all of us are here because we like GR, but that doesn't mean that logical improvements can't be made. Just look at the suggestions thread - do you honestly think that none of those are worthwhile?
I like short, simple signatures!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Open source games do become a mess because you end up with some inevitably sloppy coding, and various things that don't get implemented due to this coding. Having been part of open-source communities in the past, I'm perfectly happy to stick with the current setup.

And did you not read James' post? There will be multiple new features in the next version. I'd rather wait a year for a high-quality, high-quantity update than have 12 marginal small ones in a year.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Lukeno94 wrote:I'd rather wait a year for a high-quality, high-quantity update than have 12 marginal small ones in a year.
I'd rather take the small ones, but purely because of utilitarian reasons (like commercial games do it). It's then much easier to keep people regularly interested in playing the game, checking and visiting available websites and so one, which increases chance, that some of them will become so much interested, that will start contribute here, on a national forum or anywhere and naturally replace the leaving members. IMHO I'd be one of best things, which James as game developer could to do for a regular growth of community surrounding this game. And I don't think, that it would cause any major hurt (like CTDs or other instability), especially if it wouldn't be in a terribly exaggerated no like of 12, but let's say 3 per year. You can bet, that among others the 6 updates in 10 moths in deep past between May 2002 and March 2003 helped a lot to create the steadfast ground of this community. But just my :2c:.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

James can we donation the project?
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Renzo Zorzi, Jules Bianchi... God please save my buddies... hope that more won't ever go away too fast
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

If you read the first post on this page, you would have the answer :roll:
V.Mendonca(VITORFM)

Post by V.Mendonca(VITORFM) »

So? i am waiting for news
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

V.Mendonca(VITORFM) wrote:So? i am waiting for news
James said
We will hopefully have some good news for you in the coming month or two
not even a month ago. Notice "hopefully" and "month or two" - patience, my friend. ;)
Demoniac

Post by Demoniac »

Good news, thanks a lot!