GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION

General discussion about your experience with the game.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION

Post by James »

Ryumi wrote:- The person's hitbox area is too large and blood is too much. I want you to reduce them as same level as pit crew's.
This is a known problem and a side effect of the randomised size of the people and the way GeneRally's collision system works (we can't size the hit-box to the size of the people... as the size of the people are randomised). This is something being considered for if/when Markku re-does the collision system.
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Re: GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION (yer DLL files)

Post by Rich Nagel »

Dunno if the 32-bit version(s) works with W9x, as according to MS's site the full installer requires WXP+.

Unzip into yer GR directory.

(edit) I prolly should get off of my lazy arse and fire up my W98SE PC and see it it actually works <grin> :) Note though that on my WXPSP3 PC I never actually ran the installer... only copied the two 32-bit DLLs to my GR directory, and it worked fine.

Files deleted by Trigger Happy, reason here.
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
¥Weeds¥ GeneRally Stuff - ALL broken links FINALLY fixed!
¥Weeds¥ File Archives - Music, stuff, and more.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Discussion about Savegamemerger was moved to this topic - because of importance of this problem. All your opinions, ideas and observations related to the tool send there, please.
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Rich Nagel wrote:Dunno if the 32-bit version(s) works with W9x, as according to MS's site the full installer requires WXP+.

Unzip into yer GR directory.

(edit) I prolly should get off of my lazy arse and fire up my W98SE PC and see it it actually works <grin> :) Note though that on my WXPSP3 PC I never actually ran the installer... only copied the two 32-bit DLLs to my GR directory, and it worked fine.
All I did was Google up the DLL filenames and picked the top link. Seems to work just fine as well. So not sure if those two files in your post are any different to each other? Just a thought. :shrug:

Anyway, what can I say. GeneRally for me is well on it's way to full-time playing. I feel a renaissance period is on it's way. Heck, might update tracks again with the new features. :D
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I'll deal with this when I get back from the ski trip. Any Windows 2000 and Windows 98 testing required in future I should be able to do - I have a PC running both (the P4 one). xD
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

Love the new tracks :D and the editor's new stuff ^^ Thumbs up lols
Trigger Happy wrote:Better to see worse but truly yours than false. :bg:
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

Doorslammer wrote:All I did was Google up the DLL filenames and picked the top link. Seems to work just fine as well. So not sure if those two files in your post are any different to each other?
The DLLs that I upload were extracted directly from the MS installers.
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

Just attempted GR v1.10 on my W98SE PC... it appears that GR is now a Windows XP+ only game now.

The 32-bit MS installer wouldn't run, and simply copying the two runtime DLLs didn't do the trick either.

"C:\GeneRally\GeneRally.exe expects a newer version of Windows. Please upgrade your version of Windows."

Yeah right... WinDoZe XPee on my AMD500 with 128MB RAM LOL!

:slap_microsoft_and_bill_gates:
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

I swear Rich is stuck in 2002 sometimes. Hey Rich, when you finally catch up to 2009, GM have this new Camaro thing. You'll love it when you see it. :D

In all seriousness though, would anyone really consider using 98 in these enlightened times of PC ownership? Present company excepted. :P
zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

Thank you very much for the new GR version! I still use XP, partly because I want to run GR without any problems, and it's great news that under Win7 it works fine. :bowdown:
Formerly known as mizzamar, the GRC veteran Team Miskolc racer and occasional track-maker.
My new website: ZsoltBartokGames
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I hope we'll get some updates in short time ^^
but anyway it's great that theres a new version. I hope the track format will stay the same for the next updates ;)
Mr.J

Post by Mr.J »

No one else experiencing lagging? If competitions would be run on 1.10 with this amount of lag I would defenitely retire. :(
Aviazione 1st in ToM September 2011
Proud driver ofECOlogic Racing Team
Alex

Post by Alex »

Mr.J wrote:No one else experiencing lagging? If competitions would be run on 1.10 with this amount of lag I would defenitely retire. :(
I am experiencing this too. It didn't happen last night but today when practicing for GRC S18 the games FPS dropped dramatically whenever i got to a certain speed.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

As mentioned in the bug report thread, we're struggling to reproduce the game lag on any of our tester's machines. It's far more likely that this is a configuration issue - though if we can find, through discussion, a common reproduction (such as a common piece of hardware, OS, or even third-party software) then maybe we can fix it.

This is the classic problem of software bug-fixing: if we can't reproduce it, we can't fix it. :roll:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

@ Alex: does it happen only with GRC pack or in all GR copies, which you have? If in others too, are there some addons or just default elements from download now? What settings do you use? Especially resolution, window or fullscreen, vert. synchronization etc. Post it in bug report thread, Mr.J can add it too to his report.
Mr.J

Post by Mr.J »

Well, I cant for some reason edit my post in the bug reports thread but I have found out that this lagging problem does not occur in windowed mode. In fullscreen mode this problem occurs on all resolutions and no matter if the vert. sync is on/off.
I have no problems running other games like bfbc2.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Mr.J wrote:Well, I cant for some reason edit my post in the bug reports thread but I have found out that this lagging problem does not occur in windowed mode. In fullscreen mode this problem occurs on all resolutions and no matter if the vert. sync is on/off.
I have no problems running other games like bfbc2.
I'll add that to your post - we lock the posts for editing after we've responded, so that we can keep the information in the state/format we expect it ;) That extra info is helpful :)
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

My only instance of lag was today, but was having a few more apps than really necessary running at the same time (Chrome and TweetDeck). Otherwise, haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary as such and has run fairly efficiently.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Doorslammer wrote:My only instance of lag was today, but was having a few more apps than really necessary running at the same time (Chrome and TweetDeck). Otherwise, haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary as such and has run fairly efficiently.
Thanks for that feedback :) Good to know it's not universal. None of our testers have experienced the lag issues a few people are suffering from :( We're looking into solutions at the moment :up:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

James Burgess wrote:None of our testers have experienced the lag issues a few people are suffering from :(
I guess I didn't just mention it but I experienced some lag when I had heaps of processes running. Closing them and/or restarting the machine helped.
Mr.J

Post by Mr.J »

I have tried to close all processes I can, even explorer.exe, but it makes no difference. I read somewhere that SDL games can lag if run with dual-core but many here have those and don't experience this. :shrug:
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

This is the top of our 'to investigate' list... hopefully we can find a solution :) Any more information you can provide would be great. Tomorrow I'm going to start a discussion thread about this bug in particular so people can give any and all information they can come up with.
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

Doorslammer wrote:I swear Rich is stuck in 2002 sometimes. Hey Rich, when you finally catch up to 2009, GM have this new Camaro thing. You'll love it when you see it. :D
Don't wanna get too OT here in the GR discussion thread, in the beginning of last year I migrated to an Intel 3Ghz PC... and.... last month WE FINALLY GOT BROADBAND OUT HERE IN THE STICKS!! WOOOHOO!! P.S. My other old PCs have been retired as of last year, such as my P233MMX, as well as this one -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100.htm <grin>. Still keep my AMD500 W09SE PC up and running though, for things such as my WaveBlaster (1) daughterboard, and my MasterPilot EPROM programmer :)

(edit: re: Camero) Heh, won't hold a candle to my buddy's THREE classic 'Vettes (68/71/73) <grin> :) :)

Back on-topic...
Doorslammer wrote:In all seriousness though, would anyone really consider using 98 in these enlightened times of PC ownership? Present company excepted. :P
The thing is, GR has extremely low system requirements. I'm sure that you've heard of folks (myself included) trying out GR on something as lowly as a P133. Shame that it won't run on that low of a class of PC anymore due to nothing but the runtimes, but I'm not complaining... I understand the reason(s) behind it :)
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Rich Nagel wrote:Shame that it won't run on that low of a class of PC anymore due to nothing but the runtimes, but I'm not complaining... I understand the reason(s) behind it :)
And let's not forget, Windows XP is ten years old this year :P And Windows 98 is as old as/older than a number of the forum members ;)
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

James Burgess wrote:And let's not forget, Windows XP is ten years old this year :P And Windows 98 is as old as/older than a number of the forum members ;)
Exactly LOL! :)

(random musing) Man... where are my PC-DOS v1.0 5-1/4" floppies at <grin>?
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net