GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION

General discussion about your experience with the game.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION

Post by James »

GeneRally 1.10 - Discussion Thread

Please use this thread for any discussion regarding GeneRally 1.10. If you have any bug reports, please use this thread instead.

If you cannot get GR to start (and get an error about missing DLLs), please read readme.txt for more information. You have some basic libraries to install before you can run GR.

To the community...
We are very pleased to bring you the first official GeneRally release in years - GeneRally v1.10! cheerleader:

As many of you will know from our last "community letter", Hannu and Jukka were working on converting GeneRally to the SDL game libraries. In December, this conversion reached a suitable stage and they were able to turn the source code over to Rich and myself for continued development. So, since December and with close correspondence with Hannu and Jukka, GeneRally has once again been in development by myself and a friend not known to the GR community (until now): Markku. We have plans for further versions, but we are not willing to promise, or to put a fixed time-frame on them.

Please be considerate in your discussion, as we are learning all the ins and outs of the code, and exploring what possibilities there are.

For those of you who've kept trusting that something new would come... we're glad to be able to reward your trust!

The website at gene-rally.com will be being developed over the next few weeks and months... and this forum will be transitioning to become the official GeneRally forum at some point in the future, too!

Stay tuned for more exciting news!
Credits...
  • Markku - for code contributions to v1.10
  • Rich - for general advice, testing and expertise
  • Tuomo - for the amazing new track-pack, and extensive testing
  • Ivo, Balazs & Crono - for their support, co-operation and enthusiasm
  • Hannu & Jukka - for releasing the source code to allow this version to be developed

Changelog...
Game:
  • Game graphic, control and sound functionality ported to the SDL game libraries for greater compatibility.
  • Improved Windows Vista/7 compatibility.
  • Windowed mode (including Alt+Enter toggle).
  • Extra game resolutions (including widescreen support).
  • Alt+F4 quits the game directly.
  • Scroll wheel works in dialogs.
  • Removed 'game speed' option from game - now fixed @ 100%.
  • New official tracks (by TuomoH).
  • Fixed various small bugs and crashes.
Track Editor:
  • Can select world-size from 25-255 in the editor itself.
  • Added some new objects:
    • Road cone
    • Armco barrier
    • Office block (short + small variants)
    • Telephone pole
    • Pedestrian bridge
    • Invisible wall
    • Person (varying sizes, including children)
  • Open track via command line (pass filename to program).

All discussion should be kept positive and constructive... if not, appropriate action will be taken by the forum staff!
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Re: GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION

Post by Rich Nagel »

WOOHOO! It's finally here! :)

@All,

Note that even though I helped a bit, all kudos goes to James and Markku... GREAT JOB, GUYS! :)
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
¥Weeds¥ GeneRally Stuff - ALL broken links FINALLY fixed!
¥Weeds¥ File Archives - Music, stuff, and more.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

James, I would like to personally thank you for updating this fine game. You have done an unbelievable job in doing so. It feels just like it used to and the little touches in between are great :)

EDIT: Thanks to everyone that contributed to the game :bowdown:

The resolution change has helped a ton, and now to have it windowed means track making is a lot less tedious.

Expect some new circuits from me soon.
Last edited by Crowella on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
View my archived circuits/cars here
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Yep, great job, the best GR Version ever! I hope we hear more from Markku next days. But now i have to go - playing some GR :D

Cu Crono
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

:sadbana:

:banana:

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to give this a go later today for sure. Nice work, GeneRally chums. :rolf:
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

I'm gonna try it!
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

The fact that this appears to work flawlessly on my W7, Radeon HD 5770 computer should speak for itself. Fantastic job, and thanks to everyone that worked on it! :clap: :bowdown:
I like short, simple signatures!
mplume

Post by mplume »

:wow: :bg:

And my screenshot bug is solved. :P
Mr.J

Post by Mr.J »

*Oh... GRIF is down.. Or wait a second!* :banana:
Thanks guys!
Aviazione 1st in ToM September 2011
Proud driver ofECOlogic Racing Team
Markku

Post by Markku »

Rich Nagel wrote:Note that even though I helped a bit, all kudos goes to James and Markku... GREAT JOB, GUYS! :)
The kudos goes to James really. TBH if I hadn't worked on this, you guys wouldn't notice it in any way :)

I've been delving into the physics engine code, doing a lot of cleanup and commenting, but I haven't actually changed anything yet (At least I hope I haven't :D If you notice something weird happening, you know now who to blame :shy: ).
Buka

Post by Buka »

Just 2 words: thank you! We've been waiting for an update for so long... Hope it'll bring GR thousands of new fas. :)
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

THANKS A LOT! THANKS A LOT! FROM MALTA

Great news that now you have the source code! Hope we have more features in the future!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

The armco barriers are hard to see from some angles, or so I've spotted, and traffic cones are too solid for my liking. That said, it's great to see these sorts of things added!

Just to let you know if you didn't already - this version no longer glitches with iTunes. :)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

It indeed is great to finally have this out. Thanks to everyone who's worked on it. :)
Lukeno94 wrote:The armco barriers are hard to see from some angles, or so I've spotted, and traffic cones are too solid for my liking.
Unfortunately with the armco barriers we are bound by the GR palette, that's why it's so close to tarmac color. And with regard to the traffic cones, all the objects have to be stationary so IMHO it's the best possible solution to have them like they are now.
Ryumi

Post by Ryumi »

:wow:
Thank you guys! UNBELIEVABLE work!! :bowdown:

Now I'm very HIGH! :drink:
#KeepFightingMichael

https://ryumi248.web.fc2.com/
My website "GeneRoom" (Japanese site).

Now I'm making -> "F1 1950"
Otto Wilson
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Otto Wilson »

GREAT!!! FINALLY!!!
I am loving this version... i am missing a "car object"... but with the invisible wall i just need to block the Lmap cars...
aand... now we need a new GR-Trk Viewer... :D

(Updating a new track... but i will release it without the new objects too...)
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

TuomoH wrote:It indeed is great to finally have this out. Thanks to everyone who's worked on it. :)
Lukeno94 wrote:The armco barriers are hard to see from some angles, or so I've spotted, and traffic cones are too solid for my liking.
Unfortunately with the armco barriers we are bound by the GR palette, that's why it's so close to tarmac color. And with regard to the traffic cones, all the objects have to be stationary so IMHO it's the best possible solution to have them like they are now.
I thought they would work as (larger) tyres, which I think would suit them better.

Great job James & co. Looks great!

After I changed the resolution (1920x1440, maybe I need to pick 1920x1080 but I was in a hurry) the game did a CTD. Worked fine afterwards.

Time to re-do all my old tracks from 2004 :) Adding persons to courses will really bring them to life!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Oh wow, I couldn't expect this at all!

Thank you for the great work, now even the Win7 users can actually play the game. :) The new objects are something that should inspire even me to do something new.

I just think the menu fonts should be changed or updated, now the text is a bit broken all around. There also seemed to be a bit of some crackling sound in the startlight sound.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

As someone who has been playing GR since the very first BETA release, this is literally a day of celebration for me. I have gone out to buy a new control pad for this and am going to cancel all my plans for today. My fiance thinks I'm an idiot but I don't care, as you can see from my sig I have been waiting a long time for this :D :D :D
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
Areen

Post by Areen »

Doesn't work for me... "Not Found The procedure entry point _invalid_parameter_noinfo_noreturn" in MSVCR100.dll library". ;/
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

read the readme
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
Areen

Post by Areen »

Wow, thanks. It really helps xD
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Markku wrote:The kudos goes to James really. TBH if I hadn't worked on this, you guys wouldn't notice it in any way
You mean apart from things like the object collisions (especially the pedestrian bridge) that I'd never have got working without you? :P
Otto Wilson wrote:i am missing a "car object"...
We couldn't give you all the presents at once, now, could we? :mrgreen:
but with the invisible wall i just need to block the Lmap cars...
That was one of the main reasons for the invisible wall - land-map objects :)
Alonsomania wrote:I thought they would work as (larger) tyres, which I think would suit them better.
Not possible at present, until Markku or myself make some changes to the rendering engine :)
After I changed the resolution (1920x1440, maybe I need to pick 1920x1080 but I was in a hurry) the game did a CTD. Worked fine afterwards.
Yup, seems some people occasionally get that problem... we've not been able to reproduce it in testing, so we can't fix it at the moment. If you can work out a 100%-sure way to reproduce it... please post it in the bug report thread :)
1nsane wrote:I just think the menu fonts should be changed or updated, now the text is a bit broken all around.
Will add it to our 'consider' list for the next version.
There also seemed to be a bit of some crackling sound in the startlight sound.
That'll be related to your sound driver, rather than the game, I'd imagine. The game now uses the SDL sound libraries, which should do a better job of the sound. But there may be some more updates to the sound mixer in future versions... so all is not necessarily lost!

Martyn wrote:I have gone out to buy a new control pad for this and am going to cancel all my plans for today.
Let me know how the gamepad works out for you in-game. I have no game-pad, so all controller functionality was tested on a steering wheel! I know for a fact that some POV hats won't work... but, as with a number of things at the moment, will be a significant amount of work to get things like that working :)
Martyn wrote:read the readme
Or, you know, the bright red text at the top of this thread :P
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

The gamepad seems to be working perfectly for me, if anything I'm already faster than I was with the keyboard.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Martyn wrote:The gamepad seems to be working perfectly for me, if anything I'm already faster than I was with the keyboard.
Excellent :bg: