What to do after RSC death?

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Buka

What to do after RSC death?

Post by Buka »

Hello, GR community. RSC died with all our history and all our stuff. We can't stop with it, because in that case the community will die too. And of course everyone have something to say about our future. To find the best solution I offer you to post your thoughts here. Make it as a list, post just one sentence - as you wish. Two or three people just can't remember eveythig.
What to do with uploading of old files, how to make this site to be the first in Google search list, how this froum should look like, what to do with GeneRally webpage which probably will be closed soon too? You have something to say about it and even more - go ahead. As Raska always say - the more we are the better it is.
Alonsomania

Re: What to do after RSC death?

Post by Alonsomania »

I have a 80mb archive of pre-RSC tracks and a bunch of GR CDs, but I do not know the policy of this site regarding that kind of stuff, as I would definately not know the creator of most tracks.

Topic hijack, but does anybody have FenrirBRs tracks? Especially the one with double pitlanes and several variations?
Buka

Post by Buka »

Now what I think:
1. We need to find out what will happen with GR source code.
2. We need to send mesages to every GR member about this forum.
3. We need to make new webpage for GR.
4. We need better domain name for this forum (not really necessary, but I better see grracers.net than this one).
5. We need to full this forum with tracks, cars, utilities, FAQs, tutorials from RSC.

What more?
Sunoco

Post by Sunoco »

1. We need to find out what will happen with GR source code.
^^Agreed. Somehow we need to keep in contact with Hannu and Jukka and negotiate making the game either open source or giving the code to developers in the community.
2. We need to send mesages to every GR member about this forum.
^^Yes. It was rather hard for me to find this forum, I wouldn't count on everybody finding it on their own.

3. We need to make new webpage for GR.
^^Another important point. I could get to work on designing one if you guys think it'd be a good idea.
4. We need better domain name for this forum (not really necessary, but I better see
grracers.net than this one).
^^Another great point.
5. We need to full this forum with tracks, cars, utilities, FAQs, tutorials from RSC.
^^Hopefully. I am still confused about the legality/morality of posting old cars/tracks/addons by inactive members. I think in the future people should license their creations more clearly, saying exactly what we are allowed and not allowed to do.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Indeed, I propose that anyone who uploads a file here gives their consent for it to be uploaded elsewhere, with credit given, without prior warning, in case of forum failure. I give it as such for my work, always have done. :)

EDIT: Sunoco, I'm sure I speak on behalf of the community - if you do a website or whatever, we will be grateful. :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Sunoco wrote:
Buka wrote:1. We need to find out what will happen with GR source code.
^^Agreed. Somehow we need to keep in contact with Hannu and Jukka and negotiate making the game either open source or giving the code to developers in the community.
I would just note, that even if RSC is dead, it doesn't mean, that James Burgess died too (e.g. by a sepuku). I've sent a mail to him already (in short - that we are here, trying the best, but still learning and he is welcomed between us like every other from RSC). ;)
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

What NOT to do is to split off the old members of RSC and build up two parallel forums. Like in IRC/WRC or what was called IndyCar Series.
And we have to work with Jo.sk who is in charge of GeneRally World Rank. I wrote him a mail. Let's wait and see.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Yes, using those two examples - ChampCar went under, and WRC has pretty much as well. I agree, all members of the past who agree to comply with the rules are welcome here. :)
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Great Ideas, i think that it is important that the old users know about the new home of gene rally.

An offer from me (german gene rally community): i am willing to make a donation to the new community in form of a real domain.

Cu Crono
Paw

Post by Paw »

Wait wait, if I'm right, RSC will be inactive, but we will be able to browse through old topics and download old attachments, it's what I understand under the "mirror" thingy. Maybe we could ask some admin to place an announcement there about this forum?

Also, if we will be able to download old attachments, there's no need to reupload old tracks and cars here (other thing is if the old forum will remain forever). We may link them up, just like in "Folks without websites" with links to the threads on RSC.

Moderators. What about old Mods if they'll come here? We also need some responsible people to make things go in right direction as the forum will grow.

Also, awards! We want track/car master awards back! There was a list on RSC so it would be easy to reproduce it.

And, little thing to you, Ivo (if you are reading this). In track posting rules, about tags. Add a point, about spaces between tags, otherwise the search engine may not find what someone will look for.

PS. You can expect track from me in few days.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

it's what I understand under the "mirror" thingy
yepp, but only if they can get a backup from the crashed hdd - i dont think they can recover the database. and if - only reading isnt really a opportunity, so we need an new community for gene rally...

Cu Crono
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Paw wrote:Wait wait, if I'm right, RSC will be inactive, but we will be able to browse through old topics and download old attachments, it's what I understand under the "mirror" thingy. Maybe we could ask some admin to place an announcement there about this forum?

Also, if we will be able to download old attachments, there's no need to reupload old tracks and cars here (other thing is if the old forum will remain forever). We may link them up, just like in "Folks without websites" with links to the threads on RSC.

Moderators. What about old Mods if they'll come here? We also need some responsible people to make things go in right direction as the forum will grow.

Also, awards! We want track/car master awards back! There was a list on RSC so it would be easy to reproduce it.

And, little thing to you, Ivo (if you are reading this). In track posting rules, about tags. Add a point, about spaces between tags, otherwise the search engine may not find what someone will look for.

PS. You can expect track from me in few days.
Yes, this will be nice, beautiful and all, but that'll work just if they could successfully recover all the files.

Ah and don't worry about RSC-mods, I had a little discussion with Raska, he'll call the remaining RSC-staff (Kory, Rich, and maybe James) to this forum, in order to discuss about our possibilities.

Awards? We struggle now for our lives, and you want everything shining? :D However, the list should be transferred here too, just like Räbinä Gala winners... I'll search for possibilities, maybe in a form as a picture in the signature.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Crono wrote:An offer from me (german gene rally community): i am willing to make a donation to the new community in form of a real domain.

Cu Crono
This is nice offer! :bg:
Paw wrote:Wait wait, if I'm right, RSC will be inactive, but we will be able to browse through old topics and download old attachments, it's what I understand under the "mirror" thingy. Maybe we could ask some admin to place an announcement there about this forum?

I agree with this, IMHO here is no big reason for extreme hurry, I would prefer to do anything after some discussion with the old mods (as best with James) about it all, especially about chances to save something. IMHO we all don't know much, situation is unsure and uncertain in many points ATM.
Paw wrote:And, little thing to you, Ivo (if you are reading this). In track posting rules, about tags. Add a point, about spaces between tags, otherwise the search engine may not find what someone will look for.
Thanks, I forgot on gaps between particular tags, I reminded only gap between tags and name, when I was talking with Luke about it. :oops: The handbook is solved now. :)
Sunoco

Post by Sunoco »

I am currently making the website, but I was wondering; can I use some of the content (screenshots specifically) on the old generally page? Do I have to get permission? From who?
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Remember, RaceSimCentral still has a Facebook page, so get your messages on there (before that too explodes into flame, like RSC tended to).
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

As has been said already, don't rush with things. We'll get the community running nevertheless, and it's important that when decisions are made they are final, i.e., the site is the official GR site etc. and not just another fan site which is the case if you now just make sites on your own.
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

Hello everybody!
Nice to see this thing going on!
I put the official announcement and a personal statement on the ToM website, so I hope that many will find their way to us.
I didn't read everything here, as I don't have the time; I'll leave in a few hours and will be back in January. But I still have some opinions/ideas:
  • PLEASE look for a really good hosting service. There will be costs, but maybe we can pay it with Ads and donations. But we shouldn't save money at this point!
  • About tracks, maybe we could bring that everyone who publishes tracks in this forum has to use the CreativeCommons Licence. Maybe this one or this one.
This is my goodbye for this year. So.. Happy New Year!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

GeorgM wrote:
  • PLEASE look for a really good hosting service. There will be costs, but maybe we can pay it with Ads and donations. But we shouldn't save money at this point!
Hi, GeorgM!

Great to see you. :-)
But I'm not very optimistic in this point, RSC was big, focused on games for older people and it's paying failed. GR loves many children and students (no real regular monthly income) so would be hard to plan monthly donation or something. I know we would not need so much money like RSC ... on other hand I would be able to live with little bit advertising here if really necessary (like GRITA).

Finally I just mention, that some guys of us tries to survive post-RSC time on forum of racedepartment.com, especially Black Racing Team. This is link to the new GR section there: http://forum.racedepartment.com/generally/. Personally I prefer to be on smaller place like this, but I'll surely check their project from time to time and say hello to friends. ;)
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Ivo Porc wrote:I will just mention, that some guys of us tries to survive post-RSC time on forum of racedepartment.com, especially Black Racing Team. This is link to the new GR section there: http://forum.racedepartment.com/generally/. Personally I prefer to be on smaller place like this, but I'll surely check their project and say hello. ;)
I've never really felt comfy on that site to be honest. Seems to be quite cluttered.
James C.

Post by James C. »

Ivo Porc wrote: Finally I just mention, that some guys of us tries to survive post-RSC time on forum of racedepartment.com, especially Black Racing Team. This is link to the new GR section there: http://forum.racedepartment.com/generally/. Personally I prefer to be on smaller place like this, but I'll surely check their project from time to time and say hello to friends. ;)
I'm there too, and I must admit that there are advantages to be a part of a big forum, especially the fact there many members there, and we need some fresh blood for sure ;)
Buka

Post by Buka »

Ivo Porc wrote:Finally I just mention, that some guys of us tries to survive post-RSC time on forum of racedepartment.com, especially Black Racing Team. This is link to the new GR section there: http://forum.racedepartment.com/generally/. Personally I prefer to be on smaller place like this, but I'll surely check their project from time to time and say hello to friends. ;)
Have registered there, too. And JTarJ is right, new people are needed. Though I want to say that satying here is much like at RSC while racedepartment is something new and absolutely unusual and not very comfortable now at the moment. Maybe after some time...
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Sounds like splitting up community. And we didn't really want that. How to get these estrays back ;-) ???
Sunoco

Post by Sunoco »

Like others have said, we cannot allow the community to be fragmented. We must have a central location.

By the way, I've finished a basic version of the site. I think it looks quite nice, and it gets the job done, though I am still adding more. ;)
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Splitting up the community would be very bad, we shouldnt do that!

Cu Crono
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Sunoco wrote:Like others have said, we cannot allow the community to be fragmented. We must have a central location.

By the way, I've finished a basic version of the site. I think it looks quite nice, and it gets the job done, though I am still adding more. ;)
Yes, we need to have a central forum, but until the decision of James (or Hannu) we can't do anything but wait...

@ Sunoco: could you please upload your proposal somewhere? :P
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars