Thoughts of a newbie

General discussion about your experience with the game.
yann

Thoughts of a newbie

Post by yann »

Hello there... So, first of all, small introduction, my name is Yann, I'm 16, coming from France... Well, that's all I guess, I don't think I'm supposed to do a narration of my life there :)

So, I discovered GeneRally approximately 1 month ago, in another forum. The whole thing looked rather promising, so I decided to download it. Almost instantaly, I fell in love with the game : although it is extremely simple, it is somehow extremely entertaining, and challenging... You see, I'm also into simracing a bit, and this game offered exactly the kind of break I was looking for : a very simple software, pure plug and play, where you don't have to "waste" some precious time while trying to tweak your setup. After a few nice hours of playing, I decided to go a bit further, and I tried to see if there was some kind of communities behind the scene, with perhaps some new content to find... And I was then both impressed and disappointed. Impressed of the community, which is a quite a lot bigger than what I expected. Disappointed, because unfortunately, a lot of data seem to be lost since the death of RSC... And also because the tracks I downloaded were really not what I was looking for. I do not play Generally for the driving, but much more for the close racing : when I go for a few tens of minutes of playing, I just set up a custom championship with 5 closely matched AIs, most of the time on Rallycars, I select some wide and easy tracks, and I then enjoy the very close racing. I do not exactly have a good feelng with the driving, as it is quite basic : the keyboard gives no precision. Now, the fact is that the huge majority of the tracks available in this forum are somewhat too ambitious, too twisty, too narrow for me to have "fun" on them. Most of the time, I just end pathetically on a wall or some other concrete object while trying them, which is rather frustrating. And even when I can handle the map, the races tend to be utter boring because the course is too narrow to overtake properly, and eventually I just have an F1 like procession on my screen. Of course, there are exceptions... For example I found Kmin(http://gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51) or Elmo Park(http://gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53) absolutely fantastic, and good enough to be compared with the best standards tracks(Let's say, Nyrpol, Mondega, Brazil, Bytes, Japan, Xupong, and a few others).

So, here's my little story with that game... One of my other regrets(and I belive it's being shared with everyone) is that there's no online multiplayer mode... Just imagine the blast if we could fight directly with people from all over the world from your home :mrgreen:

Hope to hear from you all soon, and take care ;)
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Thoughts of a newbie

Post by AleksiNir »

First of all, welcome. :ghug:

You can download the tracks that the community has voted as best since 2003 July at the Track of Month website. You can download several hundreds of tracks there. :yummy:

If you want to compete with other players, you can go into the championships section. We have our own championship for rookies, and a few others running there. Even if we don't have an online system, the community has invented a "login system", that makes the driving funnier and it's also pretty close to online playing, only that you don't play at the same time with others. ;)

I hope you'll enjoy being here with the community and stay with us for long, it's always very nice to have new people here. I also wish to see some tracks/cars by you or you driving in the competitions :champa:

Oh and btw, it's no wonder you find the tracks hard when you're driving with Rallycar - without doubt the hardest to drive of original cars. I find the original Formula the best car ever made to GR - but if you want to stick with slidy cars you might want to try Yankee, very slidy just as rallycar but easier to keep it controlled ;)
Cristiano Bohessef

Post by Cristiano Bohessef »

Welcome :wave:
AleksiNir wrote:Oh and btw, it's no wonder you find the tracks hard when you're driving with Rallycar - without doubt the hardest to drive of original cars.
I agree, after reading the thread I tryed to race some laps with the rallycar and it's in fact hard to have a great precision with that, all the tracks of the world seen narrow... :rolleyes:
ECOlogic Racing Team
maclape

Post by maclape »

Cristiano Bohessef wrote:
AleksiNir wrote:Oh and btw, it's no wonder you find the tracks hard when you're driving with Rallycar - without doubt the hardest to drive of original cars.
I agree, after reading the thread I tryed to race some laps with the rallycar and it's in fact hard to have a great precision with that, all the tracks of the world seen narrow... :rolleyes:
Reading your words, it's seems is the best for you not to have taken part in 5th event of ToM S5 :hiya:

@yann: Welcome! It's nice to see new faces here :ghug:

Not much to say, AleksiNir told you (almost) everything, sure you will found "GR classic style" tracks in ToM website.

Regards!!
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay here. :wave:
yann

Post by yann »

Thanks for the kind words and the tips everyone ;)

Actually, yea, you might be right, the Rallycar might be just too difficult for a beginner like me, but I just find it great. I find the other cars boring and understeery. With the Rallycar the drive is very instinctive even though it is hard to find the apex with it, it just automatically goes on the outside of the corner if you slide too much. I must also say that divebombing an AI on the last corner of the Sewring, while putting your Rallycar in an insane angle like if you were trying to drift it, and then trying to keep the control in order to not goes through the mecanics while the AI is swichbacking is just yummy, it's like a Generally orgasm for me :yummy: :D

Yeh, seems like there is a nice choice of track in the ToM website, looks cool.

About the competitions, this sounds very cool, but I'm a bit lost, which one should I join first? Is there any easy-ish ones with easy combos that I can join without getting rediculised too much? :D (E : Oi, just found there's a Rookie Championship, I will have a look at this)

Oh and also, about the tracks, is there any other track editors than the default one? I feel it's a bit basic overall, I doubt the best track creator use it to make their work(but I might be wrong).
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

well I think that GRC would be best but now it´s not running so you should try netbook racers :hiya: anyway if you have any questions you can PM me :bg:
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

yann wrote:Oh and also, about the tracks, is there any other track editors than the default one? I feel it's a bit basic overall, I doubt the best track creator use it to make their work(but I might be wrong).
Well there's tools like Snakeditor which which is probably easiest way to make decent track, and then there's specified ones like GR Hmap Editor. Thought usually the 'pros' use the generic trackeditor with programs like Photoshop and Gimp.
maclape

Post by maclape »

Dan Hakulin wrote:well I think that GRC would be best but now it´s not running so you should try netbook racers :hiya: anyway if you have any questions you can PM me :bg:
Highly recommended :bg:

The races are too short that you won't be lapped by the world's best drivers (ie: Mmmmm...by me! :roflmao: ), just kidding :lol:
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

yann wrote:About the competitions, this sounds very cool, but I'm a bit lost, which one should I join first? Is there any easy-ish ones with easy combos that I can join without getting rediculised too much? :D (E : Oi, just found there's a Rookie Championship, I will have a look at this)
Yes it's definately GRC what you should start with. But don't let yourself down if you don't succeed in your first races, you will surely come better with practise & experience :cool2:
Oh and also, about the tracks, is there any other track editors than the default one? I feel it's a bit basic overall, I doubt the best track creator use it to make their work(but I might be wrong).
What Quklis said is true, Snakeditor is probably the easier in beginning to make good tracks (read the guide [what comes with the tool] first, without reading it the tool is complicated), but IMO you can make better tracks with TE and what Quklis called "generic trackeditors", what are used to make lmap (land map), but some people use it for hmap (height map) too. You can also modify the lmap in MS paint very nicely, but it's a LOT more time consuming, and obviously you get better results with photoshop and others. If you're wondering how to do it, you can save the lmap and hmap as a bmp file (512x512 and 16-bit for lmap, 64x64 and 256-bit or something for hmap) with the export button on TE, and then just open it in paint or something else. Then after you modified it you just save it and open ite again in TE with the import button, but it has to say as .bmp and as same type of file. ;)
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Welcome aboard yann :drive:

Since you are all mentioning this Snake editor you could at least post a link so yann could find it easily ;)

Its quite a shame we lost all the tutorials which were posted on RSC. Did anyone have any copies of them so we could post them here on the forum?

BTW you can find some info on how to join a GR competition here.
Rebellion765

Post by Rebellion765 »

Welcome, yann! :wave:
Rebellion765
Formerly known as IndyCARman and Shifted.
Latest track: Lake Koenig | Latest car: Dallara SF19
Steam profile | I post about Ridge Racer at Lucid Rhythms