Your pet peeves in GeneRally

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Thunderstrucker

Re: Your pet peeves in GeneRally

Post by Thunderstrucker »

Dan Hakulín wrote:These idiots would tell you that inviting works. Not every driver checks competitions forum every day.
That's the forum I always use the "Mark topics read" thing. ;)
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Alex

Re: The wtbf thread

Post by Alex »

Who the hell decided putting sunk tyres on the inside of corners was a good idea? They're not there in real life, yet I see them in rwls all the time.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

To stop you shortcutting all the time? :p
Alex

Post by Alex »

Yeah but in some instances they are not necessary and just impede your progress.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Actually they are (or rather were) there in real life - check this youtube video:

;) ;)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I've driven simulation games with them as well on older tracks, come to think of it.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Actually many (or almost all) raceways in the USA that weren't made up on an airfield or on streets had these sunken tyres - Riverside, Las Vegas, Meadowdale... Can't think of more atm :D
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I think it was Kemora or Keimola I was driving on that had them ;)
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Our local track also uses them at least on one or two corners of the track. Obviously the purpose built tracks for faster series' like F1 don't have those since they would be quite dangerous, and in the real life it really is that much slower trying to cut the corner a bit more by driving on the grass. :D
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Moved to correct topic. ;)
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

You know what ticks me off in competitions more than ever?

Why are competitions moving away from the Log-in System!?

Race -> Make mistake -> Ragequit -> Repeat!!!!!

That's all I ever get from these series!!!!!

MAN UP!!!!!

ANYONE with enough time can ragequit and restart races over and over until they get their runs perfect...

But in log-in competitions, there is a much stronger RISK VERSUS REWARD racing style present. It brings MORE DEPTH, more FEAR, more EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!

YOU DON'T GET THAT IN A NON-LOG-IN COMPETITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

^ I don't know. People seem to think that non-login competitions are more "newbie-friendly", or more "casual", or take up less time... in reality they do none of the above, because to do well in a non-login competition you have to race over, and over, and over again, and take screenshots, and save games, and so on... Of course you have to practice for a login compo, but that's unavoidable. The only way to prevent that is a surprise-login competition, but for some reason those seem to have disappeared...
I like short, simple signatures!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Surprise-logins were never hugely common, only a couple of compos ever ran at once with it. I prefer using login systems as it does mean that people can simply do one run when they have time - they may not be fastest when doing this, but at least they HAVE then raced.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

The difference also is:
Login system = drivers result usually fits to his average practice performances, so it's way closer to his real skill.
No login = drivers result is dream ride, which he can repeat maybe once from 15 or more rides and has nothing with his real actual performances (comparable with cries about being slower in login than in best practice before login - which is also this once-twice happening miraculous attempt).

But the more funny about this fact of liking no login is, when same people request online-mod for GR. Because it has many similarities with login (because login not 100% successfully simulates it) and all the risks'd same or higher.

But I'm afraid it's bit off-topic, because the topic is about GeneRally, not GeneRally community.
ACM

Post by ACM »

Something I see in the tracks subforum that bothers me is whenever a new trackmaker(as in hopeless) comes along with a poorly constructed track, some of the comments like to pass off "use Paint" or "use SnakeDitor" as construstive critcism.

People. Using third party programs doesn't automatically make for a better trackmaker. These tools take time and dedication to use effectively, and if someone didn't put forth the effort to make something coherent with the basic track editor then Paint isn't going to change that. I've seen some really bad Photoshop jobs, and would argue that they're worse than the worst track editor only job. Even tracks made in SnakeDitor can look like they were put together by a logic computer and have no rhythm or style.

---

Also. I know a lot of people won't like hearing this, but I think introducing different aspect ratios into GeneRally was a big mistake. This isn't a first person game where having a wider screen makes a peripheral difference and helps; all you're doing is looking top down with all the information you need in a single frame. The thing with the previously fixed 4:3 aspect ratio is that trackmakers/artists had greater control over what could and couldn't be seen by players and could make a composition, so tracks were like paintings, but by allowing people to adust their aspect ratio, it ruins that. Wanting a different aspect ratio for GeneRally is like wanting a different aspect ratio for the Mona Lisa or Monkey Island; redundant. But now you have the added frustration of different trackmakers now making tracks around different aspect ratios, which becomes a pain for players who now have to keep switching their game resolution each time they want to race on certain tracks to get the optimum results or to see the whole track.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Tracks with checkpoints that are too short, this particularly seems to show up in [rwl] tracks. It is especially annoying on the outsides of corners, I can sort of understand having little to none of the checkpoint on the grass inside the curve to prevent cutting, but at least the outside can have a nice, long checkpoint area. It's extremely frustrating when you are battling for the win, and then the AI pushes you just a little wide of the corner, and suddenly you end up in last place because the AI made you miss a checkpoint :mad:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA