Your pet peeves in GeneRally

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Qurpiz
GeneRally Trackmaster

Your pet peeves in GeneRally

Post by Qurpiz »

As in things in tracks, cars, gameplay or whatever it is that you just can't understand or immediately annoys you.

Since I'm a track-maker and spend 99% of my "GR-time" making tracks (99% of them you guys never see in any form) I have a lot of opinions about tracks.

- I hate drawn objects. I'm just gonna put it out there. I don't think I've ever done it. Mostly because my drawing skills are s**t (I only use Paint in Lmaps). Even if there are some really good drawers out there, I just never understand why would you draw things on the ground instead of using objects.

- Too small runoff areas. This is something I think really hinders my tracks at times, because I always have to make sure there's room for runoffs and such when making layouts. And of course, you don't ever even need most of the space that I put on my tracks. But whenever I see a track posted with the walls too close to the track (for my taste) it just pisses me off. Street circuits are an exception of course

- This somewhat relates to the point above. Not using haybales or soft walls in the areas where the most crashes would occur. It just rubs me the wrong way.

- Kerbs done with the TEs kerb tool. Completely unacceptable. That tool is s**t. Now I understand there are users new to GR and are just doing their first tracks, but you cannot make a track with TE kerbs and expect me to like it. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. I know my kerbs are nothing to write home about, but atleast I can take solace that they're not done in TE. I do them in Paint like every sensible person would.

- Too narrow track. This is especially true when certain track-makers (you know who you are, I don't mean this as a slight to you, just telling you about one of my personal issues) make those really cool looking (even if some of them are missing haybales and softwalls with too small runoff areas) RL circuits. Gabor Kozma was one of the bigger offenders in this matter, somehow he's still probably my favourite trackmaker of all time with JimmyMetal. The track looks exactly as you'd expect it to look when viewed from a heli or plane, but you just can't race on it. At least I can't

Again, I dont' want to offend anyone, bear in mind when writing this I'm not thinking about any specific users (except Gabor and Jimmy, but IMO in positive light). But I'd like to know if people are annoyed about the same things as I am.
Last edited by Qurpiz on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alex

Re: Your pet peeves in GeneRally

Post by Alex »

I'm pretty much annoyed when people put sunk tyres on the inside of corners. That's like punishing someone for being innocent. It slows me down and worst of all tracks like those are used for competitions which annoys me to no end.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Qurpiz
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Qurpiz »

Alex wrote:I'm pretty much annoyed when people put sunk tyres on the inside of corners. That's like punishing someone for being innocent. It slows me down and worst of all tracks like those are used for competitions which annoys me to no end.
I use sunk tyres inside the corners to not only prevent cutting, but also to show where the checkpoints starts.

However, sunk tyres are one of my peeves too, when used excessively. And I know I used to put too much of sunk tyres inside the corners before.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Exactly, sunk tyres, although can be annoying if placed too closely, actually have a purpose. Mine is that the AI will bulldoze your car if its in the way.
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Grippy cars. My favorite car style is quick, no grip and turn at the minimous touch.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

One of my pet peeves is a track with only SafePit version - no matter how good track otherwise, I won't regard that a keeper. Then, I don't like tracks where the checkpoints aren't marked with objects and/or are too narrow.
nielske
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by nielske »

I also hate sunk tyres, but really because they show me how crappy my driving is. So I should be mad at myself, instead of the sunk tyres.

That's really why they can be found on just about every track I've ever made, haha
// My old tracks (2003-2010) | My new tracks (2011-2012) //
Tonga

Post by Tonga »

I don't really get why people get annoyed about some sunk tyres - just imagine a concrete wall or haybales as an alternative and you're grateful as hell within fractions of a second. :bsmile: :D

SafePit only is also something that I don't like very much, especially if the pit entry is rather long. That's one reason why I keep making No-SP versions for myself. :)

And: the sound engine used in GR. *gg*
/ / / Team Honda Racing / / /

Cheers,
Tonga
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

I'd like to know: what tracks, cars and palettes are your pet peeves?
Track: Osknockenheim by Pahkhakhahkakskhsakhskhakhskshkisika and Mr. Pork. IThe pit was bad made and Pahkasika choosed the WORST turns of each track to put on it.
Car: SDR 01 bu Haruna. It's the most grippy car i've ever seen. And i will need to use it by a good number of GRC's.
Palette: Blind Race by myself by obvious reasons.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I'm always annoyed when people make a track with lots of possible layouts, then only include one or two of them in the release. I mean, I know it takes some time to add extra objects, an AI line, etc., but it still seems like a bit of a waste...
I like short, simple signatures!
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

What about sound packs?
Then, it totally is the Van Wars X soundpack by Genetleman.
The sounds are waaaaaaaaaaay too loud and they just hurt my ears.
Im sure a ice cream van doesnt sounds like that. It should play a music, not kill your ears!
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
Paw

Post by Paw »

The MNZ wrote:Mr. Pork.
Could you please use proper names? It can confuse users, and more important - Trigger Happy might not like to be called like that.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I hate it when sunktyres are placed on white lines. you can't even see where you mustn't drive ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

XYY wrote:I hate it when sunktyres are placed on white lines. you can't even see where you mustn't drive ;)
Same here or even more, when a part of the sunk tyre is on white/snow/ice kerb, that's even worse. Otherwise I have no big isse with GR. :hippy:

@Paw: Thank you very much. :up:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Wouter wrote:What about sound packs?
Then, it totally is the Van Wars X soundpack by Genetleman.
The sounds are waaaaaaaaaaay too loud and they just hurt my ears.
Im sure a ice cream van doesnt sounds like that. It should play a music, not kill your ears!
Then again, the sounds were awesome aswell because they have a sick engine noise, like a twin turbo V8. Especially the Gelati X.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Usage of white/ice, white/yellow or yellow/ice combinations at kerbs :doh:.
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

The lag of the 1.10 version :shout:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

XYY wrote:I hate it when sunktyres are placed on white lines. you can't even see where you mustn't drive ;)
Have you ever played Garbre's Mexican Tour? There its the most good thing ever!
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oh yeah, that reminds me. I'm REALLY annoyed when some idiot tries to force you into joining their competition by PM'ing you. I mean, we're not blind, we realise there's new threads in the competition section and we'll join it if we like the idea. I don't need the dissapointment when i think i have finally got a reply for a addon request when it just turns out it's a automated message about competitions.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

These idiots would tell you that inviting works. Not every driver checks competitions forum every day.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Dan Hakulín wrote:These idiots would tell you that inviting works. Not every driver checks competitions forum every day.
Woops :taped: Sorry but stuff like that isn't my thing. :vsad:
Owner of Team GeneAlex
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Ony put on your signature: Any PM about compo invite will be deleted, readed and rejected. It works with me in other forums. :d
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I suggest this order :D read, reject and delete :goal:
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

Dan Hakulín wrote:I suggest this order :D read, reject and delete :goal:
yep, the other way it sounds a bit weird :D
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Dan Hakulín wrote:I suggest this order :D read, reject and delete :goal:
I use on that order because everyone will ignore this one. and to show my Chuck Norris-skills.