GeneRally - What is it to you?

General discussion about your experience with the game.
OlafK

Re: GeneRally - What is it to you?

Post by OlafK »

Well, for me GeneRally is… around half of my life, actually. A little game which you can pick up at any time and happily race, also without any goal if you wish, just for the sake of pure racing fun. You can take your time making cool tracks easily too.
Woppoz

Post by Woppoz »

I don't play GeneRally very often but what the main thing is, is the moment when you drive this one perfect lap, it can give such pleasure and makes me feel great :) And sometimes in races when you beat the AI on tactics while they're faster than you :P
On the other, with 2 players it's also possible to have fun e.g. when my cousin drives the big red thing(someone created it last year, it's huge) and then I will race vs the AI and I have to try and avoid him while he tries to push me and the AI off the track, lots of laughing!
Listen to my favourite song here

And subscribe to my YouTube account here

aka. Inca4life
Ed Santos

Post by Ed Santos »

Sorry for the bump...

This date is very special. Today, May 16th, GeneRally is 10 years old, and I'd like to share some words with you.

It has been a long time I don't play GR, mostly because of my personal tasks. Growing up and responsibility take the time that some time ago was free. And I can say that the time I used on making tracks, cars, and racing was well used. GeneRally brought me fun and a way to use my creativity in a way that I wouldn't imagine in the end of adolescence. I remember playing weird tracks with my brother on the same keyboard, my first upload to the TDB, the arrival to the RSC forum, the tracks, cars, chats in there... It seems it was yesterday when I posted a track about the 5th anniversary of GeneRally, and now look - It's ten! That's a long life for a small game - it could have disappeared in time as many other small games, but it's still alive because of the friendly community behind it. That's a thing that many great games do not have.

Well, no more talk but thanks. Thanks to the Super Räbinä Bros for releasing this game a decade ago. Thanks to the moderators, carmakers, trackmakers, racers and other forum fellows for all they've done (and do) for the community, the retired ones and the active ones.

I still have GR in my heart! :D
Qurpiz
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Qurpiz »

It's the ultimate time-waster. It really is criminal how many hours I've put into making tracks, and how little I've posted them.

It also fills that creative niche in my life. The one thing I can be creative about. Psychology 101, a person needs a creative outlet. That's GR for me.
nielske
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by nielske »

Well put, Qurpiz.

I first discovered the game when a team mate from an online Grand Prix 3 sent me the game over MSN. At first I wasn't too impressed with the tracks it came with, so I stopped playing after only a few minutes. Then I saw an icon labeled "Track Editor" in the main folder which sparked my interest. I got a program with blank canvas, a low learning curve, and endless possibilities with the few options it provided. I don't think I spent my free time that week on anything else but creating tracks, or dreaming up ideas for tracks.

I really love games that allow me to change or add things to it, but as I'm not too terribly good at (or interested in) programming, it usually comes in the form of texturing. The great thing about GeneRally is that it reinterprets your drawings in such a way that it becomes a playable track -- so it was perfect for me.

It's been my creative outlet for about 10 years now, on and off, and I hope that I'll be able to say the same about the announced sequel (another 10 years, maybe? If I ever have children,... :D)
// My old tracks (2003-2010) | My new tracks (2011-2012) //
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

nielske wrote: I really love games that allow me to change or add things to it, but as I'm not too terribly good at (or interested in) programming, it usually comes in the form of texturing.
:iagree: . Also one thing which has contributed greatly was that you don't need any special skills for track- or car-editing. A cool track or car can also be made with little experience, while most of the games (e.g. rfactor) where there are also downloadable addons require some skills to make it look decent... :talkth:
M1KA

Post by M1KA »

A very good freeware game, that only needs a on-line mode to be Great.
Easy English, please...
Hello, my name is Iñigo Montoya.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

M1KA wrote:A very good freeware game, that only needs a on-line mode to be Great.
+1 to that. :bg:
Gentlemens, start your engines!
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Generally - simply clever(škoda) or
Generally - das racing (VW)
This is Generally for me :D
Sorry for bump
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)