Generally 10th anniversary (2012)

General discussion about your experience with the game.
James C.

Generally 10th anniversary (2012)

Post by James C. »

Hey guys !

You know what, this year is the 10th anniversary of GR, and quite surprisingly, nobody mentioned it yet (or at least there was no thread to talk about it). :shock:

Actually, we already missed the birthday of the first public beta release of GeneRally (which was on 16th May 2002). However I must admit that very few people here witnessed the "birth" of this game (maybe James Burgess and TuomoH are among them), even me who joined the community quite early (in early 2003, it was already 1.03 back then, but I began to be somewhat active in the international community in 2004) can not tell much about it.

The first "official" version of the game (1.0) was released on 8th July 2002 though.

Even if the community is not as big as it was back in the RSC days, it is still active 10 years later and it is quite an achievement for game which is "only" a little freeware like we can find anywhere on the Internet.

So maybe it's time to prepare some kind of celebrations. Also, maybe the devs will ship us a surprise on 8th of July... Who knows... :)

:wave:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Generally 10th anniversary (2012)

Post by Lukeno94 »

It's been mentioned several times, but not in an individual thread of its own. ;)
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

The "anniversary" thing kind of faded away through years. I remember that some people used to release commemorative tracks to celebrate GR anniversary.

Now, it would be great if someone would start a special JE including trackmasters from the entire GR era and make a special track to celebrate this 10 years of this little great game :cool2: Just and idea :roll:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

It would've been better if I'd been able to release the UOGRC for this anniversary :rofl: if only we were able to have the Original Track Update finished (finally) and released for the anniversary... :(
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I remember v1.0. So much has changed in my life since then, but the only game i play regularly is still GR :)
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
Dan Belcher
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Dan Belcher »

Looking back at the date modified info on files in my GeneRally tracks folder, it looks like I started trying to make tracks back in the second week of July 2002. Guess I have been around since basically the beginning, only missing the beta release stage!
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Good to see you around, Dan :) Long time, no speak :D

10 years since GR first graced us, eh? Who'd have thought it'd come this far?!
CuteLego12

Post by CuteLego12 »

guys, if someone make a track remakes from generally 1.0 to 1.05, make it 10th anniversary tracks, it would be awesome.
FEEL THE POWER OF GENERALLY

CuTeLeGo12

SegaRallyForever!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

That's part of the Original Track Update which has been going on for the past 2 years ;)
resir014

Post by resir014 »

Probably we can take the best of what's currently already done on the OTUP and probably the UOGRC thread and compile them together to make a special "10th Anniversary Pack". Of course, this would only be possible if the authors agreed to do this. :)

EDIT: Whoops, didn't know Luke already posted this idea. :D
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Actually, I didn't suggest that idea, which I think is a good idea. xD