GeneRally v1.2 - DISCUSSION

General discussion about your experience with the game.
jefcam

Re: GeneRally v1.2 - DISCUSSION

Post by jefcam »

When will new news about the new sequel be comming up? When will the donation open for this project? I like this idea, that community users pay a donation so that developers can work on the project!
Krisu
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Krisu »

The 1.2c package lacks the 'cars' folder. ;)
My latest creation: F-Astor Junior

I know only that I do not know

Long live speed, thrash, death, black and doom metal without forgetting grindcore!
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Ivo just notified me about this, and it has been fixed! Thanks for noticing :D

It's been a very long day :P
Mauricio

Post by Mauricio »

Hi Guys!!!
I don't know if you remember me... My brother (MATT) and I used to take part here.
I saw the announcement of the new GR on my facebook and downloaded it.
It is a pleasure to be here with you guys!!!
I played it a short time ago, and I don't know why my display appears so small :/
I'm gonna take a look in the help topics to fix it.
[]'s!!!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Use higher resolution in menu or turn on the fullscreen mode. ;)
Mauricio

Post by Mauricio »

ooohh I'm feeling so stupid now hehehehehe.
Thank you!!!
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

I saw you tweeting to Kickstarter, hope you can work things around and start up a project :P
Rampage.
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Would like to make this question if possible. What will be the differnce between generally 1.2c and the sequel to generally?

Was not possible to continue working on the same version?
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

jefcam wrote:Would like to make this question if possible. What will be the differnce between generally 1.2c and the sequel to generally?

Was not possible to continue working on the same version?
read the first post ;)
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks a lot for this new version ! (And especially a totally new Generally announcement !)

I hope it will be easier to create a lot of things for Generally, as we can see in all the creations on this site : hot pursuit tracks, Pacman, football, off-road, minis, water tracks, ...

I like a lot this kind of game, where we can spread our imagination in it, and I wait for the new Generally to start a lot of projects. I have in mind to create Rollcage game's tracks and cars... :roll:

So, wait and see ! :D

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

On the advice of TuomoH I'm repeating my post from the TDB thread, about why no one uses it...
...as long as the TDB is only accessible to players through the forum and then one of several tiny, unlabeled buttons in the corner of the screen, no one is ever going to use it. Seriously, why can't this stuff be on the actual homepage? IMO having a more complete homepage with links to the TDB, GWR, ToM and CoM, etc. will give the impression of a more active game and encourage more people to download/participate...
I like short, simple signatures!
resir014

Post by resir014 »

bduddy wrote:...as long as the TDB is only accessible to players through the forum and then one of several tiny, unlabeled buttons in the corner of the screen, no one is ever going to use it. Seriously, why can't this stuff be on the actual homepage? IMO having a more complete homepage with links to the TDB, GWR, ToM and CoM, etc. will give the impression of a more active game and encourage more people to download/participate...
Exactly. The current homepage is kind of really empty, with only a download link, link to GRIF, and a donation notice, people won't be able to see what the whole GR community actually offers you.

As you said, GR needs this kind of promotional campaign. Anything that actually exposes GR as a "community-powered" gaming experience. Whether it's add-on cars and tracks, community competitions, artwork, these are what keeps the wheels spinning. The players.
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
nielske
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by nielske »

Well put. I totally agree.

Also thanks for the new update. Especially enjoying the hedge ;)
// My old tracks (2003-2010) | My new tracks (2011-2012) //
5l1n65h07

Post by 5l1n65h07 »

Why is there a file named "screens" in the generally file? Whats it for?
GENERALLY PLAYER 2012-2016
puttz

Post by puttz »

5l1n65h07 wrote:Why is there a file named "screens" in the generally file? Whats it for?
It is for screenshots that you take in-game by pressing f11 or f12. These are vital for racing in compos, and are also nice for things like track and car making to give preview pictures.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
TinRobin

Post by TinRobin »

The download on the home page doesn't work, so I got it from the Alternative Generally Homepage. When I tried to run it, it just said "no supported resolution could be found."

As it turns out, old vehicles and tracks are not compatible with v1.2c, and just trying to RUN those things break the entire game.
puttz

Post by puttz »

TinRobin wrote: As it turns out, old vehicles and tracks are not compatible with v1.2c, and just trying to RUN those things break the entire game.
This is not true, tracks and cars from old versions of the game should work in 1.2c. The only trick is you have to reset the records on the old version tracks if you want the best lap ghost car to work properly.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
darkracer99

Post by darkracer99 »

On my GeneRally when I go to a time trial it not save my records. Pls help
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

No more communication by the people who were committed in the building of Generally2?

Can the more experienced people here who are still active in this forum/game continue to develop at least Generally1?
Areen

Post by Areen »

Copyright(s), permissions and state of ownership. Right now all belongs to James & Markku (I guess?). Also they are completly silent for 2 years and there is a low possibility to give other ppl opportunity to work on further versions of GR1. I think w/ this golden silence tactic they'll carry this project to the grave. Community needs clear answer on what's the state of work to even start with such an idea. It would be nice since I left the community because of lack of informations from devs. As long as I'll keep coming here and reading this forum, let's sey that I'm interested in developing the game (w/ given information about right tools to use).
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

The original author/s of Generally were not James and Markku right. They asked permission and was granted for them to work on both the original generally1 and then decided to start generally2. I think that permissions/copyright were given to develop something with/for the community and not to go silent for two years.

So the community knows nothing of what happened to these guys?
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

jefcam wrote:No more communication by the people who were committed in the building of Generally2?
El zilcho. :weep: Not even any subtle signs
jefcam wrote:Can the more experienced people here who are still active in this forum/game continue to develop at least Generally1?
If we had access to the original code, we could develop it further for pretty much eternity (given someone here can code it). The jump from 1.05 to 1.1 proved that things like moveable objects and pit limiters could be added.
Areen wrote:Copyright(s), permissions and state of ownership. Right now all belongs to James & Markku (I guess?).
That appears to be correct given by how it has been handled.
Areen wrote:Also they are completly silent for 2 years and there is a low possibility to give other ppl opportunity to work on further versions of GR1. I think w/ this golden silence tactic they'll carry this project to the grave. Community needs clear answer on what's the state of work to even start with such an idea. It would be nice since I left the community because of lack of informations from devs.As long as I'll keep coming here and reading this forum, let's sey that I'm interested in developing the game (w/ given information about right tools to use).
With what they've done, it'd be legally challenging to make a sequel *feel* like GeneRally. Of course you can always bet that they've left town and any other development won't be noticed. :shhh:
View my archived circuits/cars here
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Do we have contacts of the original authors of Generally maybe the most active person in this forum can contact and ask permission for the source code of Generally. I strongly believe that James and his team got the code and copyright on the premis to create something for the community, and not to vanish with the code.

If we get the source code do we have people here who are qualified in programming who can work to upgrade generally?
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only contact a non-leading forum member was able to do was at the old RSC forums. There hasn't actually been any mention of how to contact them outside of the GR2 team.
View my archived circuits/cars here
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

There is probably an official announcement waiting to be made, but I wanted to let you know that GR 1.2d was published yesterday. It's "just" a bug-fix, though, and there are no new features on board.