GeneRally v1.2 - DISCUSSION

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: GeneRally v1.2 - DISCUSSION

Post by Haruna »

Do the cones reset after some time? Maybe someone creative could use the moveable road cones as the "ball" for car soccer/football games...
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
ACM

Post by ACM »

James Burgess wrote:
  • FIXED: Tracks are now displayed in alphabetical order on all systems.
Not on mine still I'm afraid. :shake:
unsorted0.gif
unsorted0.gif (8.66 KiB) Viewed 16001 times
unsorted1.gif
unsorted1.gif (8.61 KiB) Viewed 16001 times
Really, if that was fixed I would be in gravy! As it is now though the new features are pretty cool. Thank you for your dedication to this project.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

ACM wrote:
James Burgess wrote:
  • FIXED: Tracks are now displayed in alphabetical order on all systems.
Not on mine still I'm afraid. :shake:
Can you post your bug in the Bug Report thread please? It allows us to collect all the info we need (your OS version will be particularly important here), and to keep track of things people are reporting. We tested the v1.2 fix on a variety of systems that previously experienced the problem and they all performed as-intended, so we'll need to look into this again (the directory-sorting is provided by the operating system in this case, so I'm not sure how much we'll be able to do, but we will try).

Can you also be sure that you've done this on a completely clean installation of GR v1.2 (no existing options.set, nothing... a plain, brand new installation). I'm sure you have, but it's important that we rule out all other affecting factors :)
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I'm very excited about the new version, the dev team has done a great job delivering this version. :) I do however feel, that the speed limiters should not be interchangable.. The two-way fashion they work in now doesn't serve a greater purpose, it only limits use of them IMO. Some track are (and probably will be) designed so, that the limiter cannot be placed between two solid objects like walls, so their "borders" are indistinguishable. That way you can accidentially run through the second limiter and ruin your race way to easily. :2c:

Please consider redesigning the limiters. :shy:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

YES, FINALLY IT'S HERE!!!

Can't wait to try 'em!
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

egamad wrote:Some track are (and probably will be) designed so, that the limiter cannot be placed between two solid objects like walls, so their "borders" are indistinguishable.
I don't know, why it's a problem, limiters are not mandatory feature for track. In such situation the tracks simply won't have limiters, likely won't have pit lane at all often (just pits in old fashion like in 60s or other sort of pits), you simply won't have them there, it's not a duty. :) Actually from my very brief experience so far I don't intend to put limiters at all occasions, even if it would fitting into pit lane shape, e.g. not on short tracks like Ohful, where pitting under limited speed causes loosing of whole lap behind actual leaders. I simply don't like, how it affects the racing (kills fun from close fighting for mentionable part of race for me). But where appropriate (longer track), it works perfect, it's not bad thing (on opposite actually), rather it's now up to us to learn in practice, when and how use it and when rather maybe not. :scratch:
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

I think it might be useful for slowing down a car in harder and narrow sections. Or when there is a "speed limit" on a part of a road track.
Atleast that is what i thought it was for.

Now my reaction to the new GR version:
HOLY F**KING S**T WTF OMG EPIC YEAH
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I see your point, Ivo, I'm all for rational use of features in all aspects, but why agree on a mediocre solution, that offers less than it's more beneficial counterpart (with no downsides)? I'm just saying, that it's worth considering.
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I know, but it has also other elements, e.g. occasionally while HL alone for fun (not in compos of course) I enter and leave pits by same way (either entrance or exit). So when I do it now, it slows me on entering and release on leaving no matter of which way I use. :)
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

BTW, James forgot to mention in the included Version.txt changelog file:

Stereo sound effects now work again WOOHOO! Now my Sound Pack Pro(s) can again be enjoyed in all of their glory :)
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
¥Weeds¥ GeneRally Stuff - ALL broken links FINALLY fixed!
¥Weeds¥ File Archives - Music, stuff, and more.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Rich Nagel wrote:BTW, James forgot to mention in the included Version.txt changelog file:

Stereo sound effects now work again WOOHOO! Now my Sound Pack Pro(s) can again be enjoyed in all of their glory :)
Not sure how that one wriggled its way out of being included in version.txt - when we release 1.2b, I'll make sure it's back in there :bg:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Is it just me, or are the cars also now being scaled down a bit in the selection menu and player data bars? They definitely seem to "fit" better than before.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Lukeno94 wrote:Is it just me, or are the cars also now being scaled down a bit in the selection menu and player data bars? They definitely seem to "fit" better than before.
It's just you :)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Strange, I could *swear* that they are slightly smaller than before! :rofl:
ACM

Post by ACM »

I'm in the same boat as Trigger Happy in that I like to leave the pits through the same way I entered them when hot lapping so I can cross the start/finish line with good momentum as well as to avoid pit cutting.

What would be interesting is if, instead of being checkpoints, limiters were defined as areas created by draging a box or using a rope tool, so cars inside/outside it would always be slowed down/sped up. Assuming this was technically possible.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

It would be problem in bent pit lines, but otherwise it's good and sounds possible (not just to define length of limiter, but in also width). Bent pit lanes would need Bezier curve shaping in TE for this square-recangle to shape it well, for these cases separate points are better. :scratch:
ACM

Post by ACM »

That's why I stated "or using a rope tool". ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Sorry, missed it, temporal blindness stroke. :D :bg:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I am very happy with the way the pit-limiters work, myself - it's simple and it limits you at both ends, which is exactly what it should do.
Szmajli

Post by Szmajli »

Thank you for the new version!

And for the thing that maybe this is the last major version of the game:
Even if there wont be any new version the community will keep it alive Look at the Richard Burns Rally: Originally there wasnt any online game mode. The community did it. Now there is 4 major community with their own Online game plugin/application. Originaly it was impossible to do any addon tracks for the game. Now its possible and there are lots of tracks that is better than any original track. etc...
The GeneRally is a little bit same I think. We got hundreds of tools to create the best add-ons for the game, and the community does it, and keeps the game alive
My Tracks & Cars
Tracks: Kakucsring, Rabocsiring ([rwl] Rallycross tracks)
Cars: FIA Group R4, FIA Group R5(Car of the Month), FIA Group RRC, Seat Leon Eurocup 2014, Suzuki Swift Cup Europe 2014, Seat Leon Szuperkupa 2008, Copa Tiida 2011

Pronounce my name like Smiley.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

We've released v1.2 with two fixes - check this thread for more information :)
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Though this fix is coming a bit too quick after the release of the new version IMHO, thank you! :)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Are you kidding? The quicker bugfixes are released, the better. :)
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Two bugfixes per day? Maybe one objects for TE per two days? It'll sounds great :D

PS. (OffTopic) New version compatible with 1.2 of GRHmEdit soon :D
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Renzo Zorzi, Jules Bianchi... God please save my buddies... hope that more won't ever go away too fast
ACM

Post by ACM »

Yes... Yes! With both of those bug fixes, this is the definite GeneRally version I've personally been wating for. Thank you so much for your time and effort.