GeneRally v1.2 - DISCUSSION

General discussion about your experience with the game.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GeneRally v1.2 - DISCUSSION

Post by XYY »

Wow, the cones finally work as they should! :P Thanks for this rather small but very valuable update! :)
Paw

Post by Paw »

I wonder what wat the reason of the new cone bug, it would be nice to know ;)
Also the cones seem to be too heavy to my taste, would like to bounce them around a bit more :) Also their collisions are a bit strange because of that shaking, but it's nice addition nonetheless.
Flaming_Wuzzle
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Flaming_Wuzzle »

Doing a 255-minute race on Lifoval just to see how many laps the AI can rack up, JUST BECAUSE I CAN NOW. I imagine there's shorter tracks that I could use to get an even higher number, but I'm not going searching.

EDIT1: the lap counter for each car just displays as 000 at 1000 laps...well that's disappointing. The lap counter on the left displays correctly, though.
EDIT2: 3,552 laps! :shock:
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Very niceeee.... Keep it up and develop GR 2.0. We will race on 1.2 while we are waiting. :D Very good job guys, you deserve one BIG THANK YOU!
Gentlemens, start your engines!
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

GREAT RELEASE GUYS! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Next, please two cars more on track at least! :mrgreen: :bg:
egamad wrote:Some track are (and probably will be) designed so, that the limiter cannot be placed between two solid objects like walls, so their "borders" are indistinguishable. That way you can accidentially run through the second limiter and ruin your race way to easily. :2c:

Please consider redesigning the limiters. :shy:
Agree there, the second limiter should have no effect if you go over it by mistake, just the first one.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Black Rebel wrote:GREAT RELEASE GUYS! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Next, please two cars more on track at least! :mrgreen: :bg:
No! More objects for TE, bigger WS and more colors in land :D
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Renzo Zorzi, Jules Bianchi... God please save my buddies... hope that more won't ever go away too fast
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

More cars in GR - :up:
GR Online - :down: :down: and :down: . If it'll be online, there should be a new camera mode in game (behind car like in other game)

But I'll be happy for every new version of GR and every new addon ;) but no online mode
Chairman of Lambda Motosports Cars
Lambda Motosports
Team Manager | Gzehoo on GWR

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
GeneRally Polska Discord Server
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Have you considered that the current version of GR may make it completely impossible to add any more cars to the grid, allow more colours and a bigger WS? ;) These sorts of things could well be why they're starting a new version from scratch!
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Any information about the sequel game? What is this project all about? Is it Generally 2?
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

jefcam wrote:Any information about the sequel game? What is this project all about? Is it Generally 2?
Read the first post in this thread
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
Gera

Post by Gera »

Scorpion wrote:
Black Rebel wrote:GREAT RELEASE GUYS! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Next, please two cars more on track at least! :mrgreen: :bg:
Żebrzesz o te obiekty na każdym kroku, a przecież Ty nawet nie zrobiłeś jednej wartościowej trasy... obiekty Ci w tym nie pomogą ;)
http://www.generally.pl
"Pure driving, pure racing... That makes me happy" - Ayrton Senna
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Gera wrote:Żebrzesz o te obiekty na każdym kroku, a przecież Ty nawet nie zrobiłeś jednej wartościowej trasy... obiekty Ci w tym nie pomogą ;)
English please, this is an international forum.
DocWalt

Post by DocWalt »

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but old save games don't work, it crashes GR v1.2. Expected behavior or no? I assume not lol
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

DocWalt wrote:I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but old save games don't work, it crashes GR v1.2. Expected behavior or no? I assume not lol
The save format has changed slightly so this is likely expected behavior.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Gera wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Żebrzesz o te obiekty na każdym kroku, a przecież Ty nawet nie zrobiłeś jednej wartościowej trasy... obiekty Ci w tym nie pomogą ;)
Gera said:
You want objects but you never made one good track. Objects won't help you.

Gera, I'm still learning it, be patience.
Firstly:
Every track marker won't be as Maciej1, BlackRebel, Areen, BBA...
Secondly:
Replace critic good tips, it'll help.
Thirdly:
Now I'm making better track, WiP soon.
That's all.
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Renzo Zorzi, Jules Bianchi... God please save my buddies... hope that more won't ever go away too fast
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

TuomoH wrote:
DocWalt wrote:I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but old save games don't work, it crashes GR v1.2. Expected behavior or no? I assume not lol
'Backwards compatibility' with save games is somewhat 'unintentional' (as opposed to tracks, cars, etc. where it's deliberate) - but I'll take a cursory glance and see if I can solve the issue).

Edit: Have just looked into this and - due to the changes in how players are handled in v1.2 - this almost certainly won't be fixed.
Lerhond

Post by Lerhond »

GR 1.2(b) is completly useless in competitions without Save Reader & Merger made by game developers. James, I hope that you are working on an alternative for SaveGame Reader (and Merger), because it doesn't work with GR 1.2b.
If you won't do Reader & Merger, I think that you should public "documentation" how GeneRally save is saved by game, so maybe someone would create SaveGameReader for 1.2b, like Juan created it for 1.05.
I'm also a bit disappointed that timed race isn't in F1 qualification style (you set the timer to 2 minutes, game counts from 2:00 to 0:00 and you can finish your lap). Maybe it should be included in next GR version.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Developers of the tools are welcome to contact me for updated format information (as other tool developers have already done). Other than that, we do our best to not break things when we make updates (and, indeed, avoid some updates altogether for that very reason) but inevitably, there are some things that need to change - v1.2 was one of those instances. :)
Gera

Post by Gera »

TuomoH wrote:English please, this is an international forum.
I'm sorry. I used wrong button - 'quote' instead of 'PM' :mrgreen: . Delete this post, please ;).
http://www.generally.pl
"Pure driving, pure racing... That makes me happy" - Ayrton Senna
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

Good luck with the sequel project, I will be following your developer blog. I hope you can capture the things that made GeneRally so good and bring them to the 2010's with new features, especially I wish for an online multiplayer mode.

I don't think you can go too much wrong if you keep the spirit of the original game though. Easy moddability is what has kept us playing this game for a decade.

Also, if money is an issue I suggest starting up a Kickstarter project. You probably know about that already though.
Last edited by Hangman on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rampage.
Spacethingy

Post by Spacethingy »

What a lovely little update! Thank you so much guys! :bg:

Movable cones and pit-limiters?! Awesome! That'll make AI races much more interesting.

RE Generally 2 - a good idea. Things like different camera views and multiplayer are really very big things that are almost out of the spirit of Generally in its current incarnation. A whole new game? Sounds like fun, I'll be downloading!
JWong

Post by JWong »

I think just having the current top-down camera angle is better for the game - it's part of its character IMHO.

[off-topic]
TuomoH wrote:
Gera wrote:Żebrzesz o te obiekty na każdym kroku, a przecież Ty nawet nie zrobiłeś jednej wartościowej trasy... obiekty Ci w tym nie pomogą ;)
English please, this is an international forum.
International forum but only English allowed? How ironic :P :2c:
[/off-topic]
DocWalt

Post by DocWalt »

James Burgess wrote:
TuomoH wrote:
'Backwards compatibility' with save games is somewhat 'unintentional' (as opposed to tracks, cars, etc. where it's deliberate) - but I'll take a cursory glance and see if I can solve the issue).

Edit: Have just looked into this and - due to the changes in how players are handled in v1.2 - this almost certainly won't be fixed.
Ok, thanks!
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

JWong wrote:International forum but only English allowed? How ironic :P :2c:
Yes, as in language everyone here should understand. :P
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Lukeno94 wrote:Have you considered that the current version of GR may make it completely impossible to add any more cars to the grid, allow more colours and a bigger WS? ;) These sorts of things could well be why they're starting a new version from scratch!
Did I missed something there? Is anybody working on a new version of GR???
Hangman wrote:Good luck with the sequel project, I will be following your developer blog.
Is there a developer´s blog???

Please keep GR as it is and just improve what can be improved but not killing the spirit of the game.