Generally Timeline

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Generally Timeline

Post by Herbal »

I've sent this interesting PM to some highly elders connected to GR...
Hello guys!

Long time no see from me, right? Yeah, I've been kind of busy with my degree work, and well, maybe I've lost a bit of motivation of creating stuffs for GR. However, you know surely, how much I love this game, so I would like to share you an idea.
I've been wondering on a timeline site, with writing the history of GeneRally, as detailed as we can get. Main idea would be to sort happenings by year, or if possible, by months. Of course a precision to days in these is not needed, but some pictures, results, milestones, etc. would be just great to be listed. And that's where you would come in, guys.
Actually, we are the so-to-say "old guys" of GeneRally, some of us are in business since the first day GR has been released. I don't know how much you spared from old stuffs (pics from first track database, forum of Soltys, RSC, competition sites, etc.), but I know we could get that through.
Don't misunderstand me though, this will be a really complex job. Neither am I totally sure, if we could manage to create this yearbook. But I think it would really worth a try to write a chronicle of GeneRally to the time, when GR sequel will be released, and so that we could introduce the game for those, who join to us with the brand-new game.
So, guys, please let me think, what you think about this idea. If you think it's good enough to be discussed for the community, just note me, and I'll create a topic from this.

Cheers,
Herbal
LongBow and Ivo suggested to have an open debate to this theme, and who am I to go against their wish? :sweatdrop:

So, guys, you would have two jobs to do.
1. I'll maintain in the second post, which happenings you think as milestones. For these I need your help, too, what you ACTUALLY think as them. No trolling, please, this is serious business. :roll: No exact times in days are needed, except for forum and site starts/changes/closures and some extraordinary competitions.
2. The place is uncertain currently. At the moment I've got three ideas: one would be wikia.com, a second is a static HTML on gene-rally.com subsite (chronicle.gene-rally.com) and third is a Facebook timeline. Which one do you think would fit the most to us?

Of course if you have any ideas, don't hesitate to post them! ;)
Last edited by Herbal on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Generally Timeline

Post by Herbal »

This page is reserved for summing up milestones of GeneRally community's history.

16-05 - GeneRally v1.0 Beta released
08-06 - GeneRally v1.0 released
26-07 - GeneRally v1.01 released
05-09 - GeneRally v1.02 released
17-12 - GeneRally v1.03 released

21-03 - GeneRally v1.04 released
02-04 - first Joint Effort Track has been released
??-08 - first Track of the Month election held, manager was LWing. Tedminator's Alpha Racing Motorama wins the first ToM election, which 10 voters take part in.
22-12 - GeneRally v1.05ce released
22-12 - GeneRally v1.05 released

??-08 - first event of GeneRally World League has been held, organized by Jo.sk and JTarJ. This event has been won by Imola, before Jo.sk and akouk.
??-11 - according to GeneRally World Ranking, the first Big Four has been achieved in history. That was done by Frenchman Jo.sk.

??-02 - the 50th Joint Effort, Jubilee Coliseum has been released. Contributors were in this project: PitbullFIN, -Jimmy-, Dzamper, Kory Miller, Rat Boy, Lynx_Raven_Raide, Juza 666, AleksiNir,, Michi Michkov and MikeyB.

??-03 - the 20th GeneRally World League, managed for the last time by JTarJ and Jo.sk. This season featured a knockout, which was won at the end by Murano.
??-11 - for two seasons Herbal took over the management of GeneRally World League

??-01 - with the 22th season GeneRally World League has been abandoned until Buka's ressurection in middle of 2010
06-12 - RaceSimCentral closes its doors (later restarted, but not in its original form)
26-12 - GeneRally International Forum starts operating

??-06 - first results for Car of the Month

18-02 - GeneRally v1.10 released
25-03 - GeneRally v1.10b released
02-05 - GeneRally v1.10c released

08-07 - GeneRally v1.20 released
Last edited by Herbal on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

July 2003
LWing suggests the idea to vote the best track every month. The purpose of it is to sort out the mass of new tracks floating the forums every month and also to offer an incentive to work a bit harder on the tracks. The feedback is only low.
August 2003
Without knowing if the forum will accept it but with faith in the idea itself LWing starts the first election. The voting system is as simple as possible: Everyone has to post their vote in a thread. Tedminator's Alpha Racing Motorama wins the first ToM election, which 10 voters take part in.
June 2010 - first CoM results released.

2nd April 2003 - first joint effort is released.
Sometime in 2007 JE 50 is released.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

According to my notes, RSC died on December 6th 2009, and also GRIF beginning was in 2009, not 2010. ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Truth, I remember it was on st. Nicolas day.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

TuomoH wrote:According to my notes, RSC died on December 6th 2009, and also GRIF beginning was in 2009, not 2010. ;)
Trigger Happy wrote:Truth, I remember it was on st. Nicolas day.
Yeah, I've remembered only the time when I've started to set up this forum, and I've started to construct it at 24th... :P

So, this seems a bit better now... Any more suggestions for revolutionary tracks/cars/compos/sites?
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Revolutionary compos - I'd mention the first one, whatever that was, I'd also add the first ToM compo, the first GRC compo, and the first GRASCAR compo.

If it's a Wiki, which is what I would pick, I have a set of "notability" guidelines (note: you only have to meet one of these for you or the thing you're writing about to be notable):

Community member: Notable for having being either a moderator, admin, or domain owner of one of the major forums (RSC, GRIF, and perhaps some of the bigger national forums as well), for receiving a Golden Rabina, for gaining a podium in a CoM or ToM election, for being a car master, track master or wizard, or for directly contributing to the development of GeneRally (not via beta testing). Having run more than X number of competitions that pass the notability for a competition.

Car/Track: Notable for being either receiving CoM/ToM/CoY/ToY votes (ie, more than 1), made by a car master/track master/wizard or Rabina Award winner after they've received their award, having more than X number of downloads at GRIF/RSC (if anyone has any records of RSC votes).

Compo: Having more than a minimum of X entrants in every race, having had more than X seasons, having been run by a car master/track master/wizard or Rabina Award winner after receiving their award. Perhaps by having been won by a GWR top-15 racer of that year in the type(s) the compo used?

Forum - any pure GR forum or forum hosting a GR subforum with more than X members.

Obviously, those need a lot of work, with the Xs needing working out over a series of discussions, but that's just my 2 pennies worth.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

The idea about "chronicle.gene-rally.com" is very good.

For 2012 you can add exact dates for version 1.20a, 1.20b and 1.20c.
Gentlemens, start your engines!