Track layout

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Dragon
GeneRally Trackmaster

Track layout

Post by Dragon »

Hi, I was wondering, what is for you a good layout?
One of my problems is to create good layouts for my tracks.
I'd like to know what features should a layout have for you? How it should be?
It has to be fast with a lot of straights and few corners or twisty with a lot of corners and technical parts? It must have good spots for overtaking or different types of corners and straights?
This topic can be related to various types of tracks: [cir], [stc], [ral]. ;)
I'd like to know your opinions.. :scratch:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Track layout

Post by XYY »

First of all, of course everyone has different preferences for tracks. :D

I think it depends a lot on the track you want to build. For normal circuits, there should be some interesting corner combinations, bends, short/long straights, and maybe (if it's not actually meant to be a tilkedrome) a cool hmap which surprises you for the first time you race the circuit. Also it depends on the Worldsize: if you use a smaller WS, you can't make so many long straights, but if you use a bigger WS, I always think that there are too many corners and too few straights. If I drive a WS 255 track, I also want to go with full throttle here and there ;) One very important thing at least is that not all corners drive like the same, but that differences are made in radius, angle, entering speed... ;)
For realistic street circuits, I think you should rather use many fast sections broken up by slow corners/hairpins/chicanes. But for funny street circuits, you have to use a lot of creativity to avoid all corners getting the same :rofl: Btw, a characteristics of street circuits is their narrowness, so there shouldn't be too many runoffs (rather concrete walls or haybales/softwalls where you get stuck :misch: )

But one thing, you say you have problems to create layouts? :scared: I always have the problem to realize a layout because I have so many other cool layouts... :rofl:
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Track layout

Post by Bouncebackability »

The best bit of a layout for me, which I try to incorporate in my fictional tracks is a fast twisty section which needs a good racing line to get close to the car in front at the end of the section where an overtaking corner is placed. But if you don't get thge first part right, you shouldnt be close enough for the overtake. An example would be my Ashfold where the corners at the top lead to the hairpin in top right.

I also like to have one straight where I can view the stats at the bottom.