GR Wiki

General discussion about your experience with the game.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

GR Wiki

Post by AleksiNir »

There was some discussion in RSC about making a wiki for GR, but we decided that it's not worth the effort, because there wouldn't be enough material for it etc etc.

There isn't much stuff on the "alternative GeneRally site" now (though we're getting a track database), so I thought that a wiki would be very suiting thing for this site.
IMO there is enough stuff to make articles of, I'm sure there are a lot of much smaller wikis existing too. There shouldn't be any problem with having people doing it, and now hosting shouldn't be a problem either :bsmile:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GR Wiki

Post by Trigger Happy »

I take in consideration, how long time took to community to update the GR page on official wiki, I'm not so optimistic, if it would be easy task for us.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oh come on it would be a snap! Every major game has one. Robot Arena 2, GTA, Gran Turismo etc. Don't say GR is not major because it was featured in numerous indie game magazines in 2002 and 2003 and has got at least 100000 fans. All we've got to do is create a wiki on Wikia and we could take it from there.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Wikia is a bit iffy... they have a lot of ads, and from what I've read don't really respect the people that run the wikis. Mediawiki is free to install on your own site, although I don't know how much bandwidth is still available for this site... I've actually been trying to set it up on my college-provided universal website, but I haven't managed to figure out how...
I like short, simple signatures!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Alex wrote:Oh come on it would be a snap! Every major game has one. Robot Arena 2, GTA, Gran Turismo etc. Don't say GR is not major because it was featured in numerous indie game magazines in 2002 and 2003 and has got at least 100000 fans. All we've got to do is create a wiki on Wikia and we could take it from there.
Just because a game is featured in a magazine does not make it major. And I doubt it has 100,000 fans, not that this number makes it a major one. GeneRally is far from a major game, as all major games have been heard of by the majority of gamers - and have millions of fans, not just 100,000 (if such a figure is true - personally I think it's probably closer to 5k at the very most)

That said, a GR Wiki would be a good idea IMO.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Lukeno94 wrote:
Alex wrote:Oh come on it would be a snap! Every major game has one. Robot Arena 2, GTA, Gran Turismo etc. Don't say GR is not major because it was featured in numerous indie game magazines in 2002 and 2003 and has got at least 100000 fans. All we've got to do is create a wiki on Wikia and we could take it from there.
Just because a game is featured in a magazine does not make it major. And I doubt it has 100,000 fans, not that this number makes it a major one. GeneRally is far from a major game, as all major games have been heard of by the majority of gamers - and have millions of fans, not just 100,000 (if such a figure is true - personally I think it's probably closer to 5k at the very most)

That said, a GR Wiki would be a good idea IMO.
You know what i mean. It's not like those obscure games that only have a few followers.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Well, lets be honest, it is an obscure game with only a few followers :rofl: even at RSC we didn't have that big an audience... :rofl:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Well, then you've probably never heard of Phun or TORCS. Those are obscure with a few followers. This is fairly obscure, but it has thousands of players and fans. Now please lets go back to topic before someone else joins in.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
resir014

Post by resir014 »

For starting a wiki page, I suggest that you download the MediaWiki web engine instead of hosting it to Wikia. Although it's partly owned by the Wikimedia Foundation, Jimmy Wales will not come and disturb your browser everytime you click. :rofl:
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Maybe not a whole wiki, but a help-file with infos/tutorials etc.

Is started a german one 3 years ago (GeneRally He!p, available online and as html-help for offline reading).

Cu Crono
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Would that be necessary, I think theres not that much in the game, that someone wouldnt know something useful about the game...
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I was more thinking it would refer to individual track/carpacks and certainly individual makers ;) Not just the basic game. :)
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Lukeno94 wrote:I was more thinking it would refer to individual track/carpacks and certainly individual makers ;) Not just the basic game. :)
Like ToM and CoM? :hyper:

Add me there and say Im the best!

Naaah just kidding :drunken:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
NicolasP

Post by NicolasP »

I make a wiki of GR in Wikia, link, http://generally.wikia.com/, all be edit. :D
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

@Np2003, I watched your wiki... and I must say that I also wanted to create a GR wiki. But your GR wiki project looks promising, I hope it will be continued ;)
Chairman of Lambda Motosports Cars
Lambda Motosports
Team Manager | Gzehoo on GWR

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
GeneRally Polska Discord Server
puttz

Post by puttz »

There is also a surprisingly detailed Wikipedia article on our beloved game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeneRally
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

puttz wrote:There is also a surprisingly detailed Wikipedia article on our beloved game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeneRally
:wow: i didn't know about it. But they forgot to put version 1.20b and 1.20c :P
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

puttz wrote:There is also a surprisingly detailed Wikipedia article on our beloved game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeneRally
Gorgom, is it yours? Because it's... :bg: (didn't know a bad guy did something useful. Nah, jk :lol:)

Maybe I could work on the grammar there to improve it :)
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
puttz

Post by puttz »

Nope, not mine. I felt like looking to see if there was such a page on Wikipedia, and sure enough there was. I have the feeling that it was made by one of our community members, though. Not sure who.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

When you click on "View history", you'll notice the article was edited by Spacethingy, Luke and NaBUru38 several times.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

IIRC It's only developing very old wiki article about GR, which was deleted in past from wikipedia. Somebody had a back up, so it could be restored and then updated by info about more stuff and events related 1.10 and later by other development (mentioned by Dukla), more about it in another topic in this subforum.

Otherwise this is little bit off-topic, guys. So back to discussion about GR community own wiki efforts, please. ;)