What are some good racing tips?

General discussion about your experience with the game.
TinRobin

What are some good racing tips?

Post by TinRobin »

So, I re-discovered this game which I have played a few years ago, and it's oddly a little addicting. Just a fun little time-waster. Still, I seem to have a hard time ranking any spot higher than 4th place in races, especially when I and all the other racers, all of which are AI, are using the General car

One thing I've noticed that I always have a hard time doing, is successfully making tight turns without: letting anyone pass me, without running into a wall, and without losing too much speed or acceleration. I created an AI with the skill level of 200, and named it "X" in reference to Racer X. I attempted to mimic his driving pattern, but it was harder than it looks, and it almost seemed like he was reaching speeds I couldn't even when I tried. What's with that?

So then, I made another AI level 200 racer and pit the two together on the Ohful track, where the yellow-headed Racer X trailed the red-headed X Racer until it found an opportunity to pass him by cutting corners. Funny enough, they didn't even look like they were going that fast.

I then decided to make two level 0 AIs and pit them against each other (Dumb & Dumber) to see how they work, and i noticed that they both kept slowing down and speeding up, and they kept "shifting" or turning their bodies left and right instead of just driving straight.

So, what are some good pro tips on how to not suck as much at this game? Especially when using the General car, and when handling turns.
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: What are some good racing tips?

Post by Haruna »

TinRobin wrote:I created an AI with the skill level of 200... it almost seemed like he was reaching speeds I couldn't even when I tried. What's with that?
The AI driver skill level is a grip modifier past 100% strength. This isn't quite a one-to-one proportion (as you know, 0 AI skill does not mean 0 grip), but as AI skill level increases, the boost to their grip on all surfaces does so as well. For this reason, even the very best racers have a hard time beating 120 AI strength consistently on non-oval courses. Similarly, notice how AI drivers with skill level 101 or greater do not set lap records. This is because they, in effect, cheat.

If you notice that another car is lined up on your outside, you can press the brakes slightly to knock both you and the AI car a bit loose. You'll lose some speed but it's better than being forced wide. If someone is about to dive you on the inside, it works the same way: you can purposely lock sides with the other car. Remember not to angle your block too steeply though, as you'll just get T-boned and get sent flying off-track.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
TinRobin

Post by TinRobin »

Ah, so based on that logic, I'm already am doing pretty good for a beginner if I can occasionally rank 1st against a level 100 AI at a race, right? It kind of makes me wish this game had multiplayer, though.

OK, I think I understood most of that racing jargon and can picture it in my head. Thank you for the advice!
maclape

Post by maclape »

TinRobin wrote:It kind of makes me wish this game had multiplayer, though.
Oh, you better give this a read :bg: