Idea: site dedicated to GR mods and addons

General discussion about your experience with the game.
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Idea: site dedicated to GR mods and addons

Post by LongBow »

Hi folks

I was thinking of making a site dedicated to GR mods and addons similar to the one I made for palettes.

The other day I was searching for some things in my GR folder and I found some cool old addons for GR which can be very fun for racing, besides many competitions in the past where quite interesting (MdP ski and Motocross) but no addon or mod was released and things were lost.

It would be great to regroup these things back together and find them a new and stable home which could be also "inhabited" with new released mods :nod:

Of course this wont happen through the nigh but everything needs to start somewhere :D

What do you think....? Do you find mods and addons interesting? Do you even have any "installed" and using them?

Any ideas or comments are very appreciated.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Idea: site dedicated to GR mods and addons

Post by XYY »

I don't know how long the link will be unedited on this forums if you don't ask the authors...
and if they have to upload it on their own, I don't think you can collect many addons... :|
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Well I can't say that I have any "mods" installed, but that's probably I wasn't aware there were any. If there were organised on a neat website, I'm sure I would have a go at some. :)

But :iagree: , you would probably need to acquire permissions from the authors. (BTW, is the palette DB hosted on your private server? Just curious.)
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I personally not use ''mods'' system, which we know from other (more complex) games. I have all in one GR folder and when I want to play horse race, I simply choose horses as cars for me and AIs, select right track are change sound pack in options. Then when I have taste to run something other, I simply re-set the game to e.g. race with sidamob. :shrug:
Buka

Post by Buka »

I like this idea, but we will definitely will have problems with permissions. And in fact we don't have too much mods. Of course, we can make them ourselves, gathering together, for example, cars and tracks for any F1 season or whatever else. IMO, it would be great.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

These issues are why I think this forum should have some kind of permission system before people post cars or tracks... Just a simple "my tracks can/cannot be reposted" would help prevent so much of the things like this, just in case something ever happens to this forum...

I was thinking of doing something like this myself, but my college webspace is only 500MB (minus some profile stuff), and even my own GR folder is bigger than that... >_>
I like short, simple signatures!
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

bduddy wrote:These issues are why I think this forum should have some kind of permission system before people post cars or tracks... Just a simple "my tracks can/cannot be reposted" would help prevent so much of the things like this, just in case something ever happens to this forum...

I was thinking of doing something like this myself, but my college webspace is only 500MB (minus some profile stuff), and even my own GR folder is bigger than that... >_>
This is one thing I hate about modding communities in general. Permission this, permission that. You absolutely have to get permission for everything, which is why people get pissed when they claim their work is stolen even though they are explictly credited. This is all keeping in mind that the work in question is free.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Ivo Porc wrote:I personally not use ''mods'' system, which we know from other (more complex) games. I have all in one GR folder and when I want to play horse race, I simply choose horses as cars for me and AIs, select right track are change sound pack in options. Then when I have taste to run something other, I simply re-set the game to e.g. race with sidamob. :shrug:
I only use the "mod" system on rare occasions when the change to the game is quite obvious (like MdP skiing)
All other stuff are addons which mainly consist of tracks, cars and sound of a specific "theme". You can easily switch between these addons ingame. At least I use this system.
Buka wrote:I like this idea, but we will definitely will have problems with permissions. And in fact we don't have too much mods. Of course, we can make them ourselves, gathering together, for example, cars and tracks for any F1 season or whatever else. IMO, it would be great.
Permissions are a PITA from the beginning, however this could be more of a problem with new mods/addons as all the old ones already have all needed permission. The only one that I would need is the permission form the guy who merged all stuff together creating a mod/addon to re-distribute this mod/addon outside its primary uploaded place (RSC, site,...)
bduddy wrote:These issues are why I think this forum should have some kind of permission system before people post cars or tracks... Just a simple "my tracks can/cannot be reposted" would help prevent so much of the things like this, just in case something ever happens to this forum...

I know, people should always state their view about re-distributing and use of their work. We would have half less problems as we have today.
500 MB is more than enough. An average mod/addon is around 2-3 MB

@ egamad: the GR.pal is hosted on my IP server
Buka

Post by Buka »

BTW, section or site for soundpacks would be also great.
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Buka wrote:BTW, section or site for soundpacks would be also great.
I was thinking of doing a site for sound-sets as well but I'm not sure which one is more "needed".
However I plan to do a list of all GR sound-sets currently available (on various sites) for :gr: and post it in the misc section!