What's the secret to going fast?

General discussion about your experience with the game.
GeneSuomi

Re: What's the secret to going fast?

Post by GeneSuomi »

What's your track record with original formula in Germany. My best is 12.08 but computer has 12.06 :headbang: is it possible to drive faster :sweatdrop:
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Humm.... So my control config goes like this:

ACCEL = UP ARROW
STEER = LEFT/RIGHT ARROW
BRAKE = DOWN ARROW

Should I change my control to... (in ACCEL/STEER/BRAKE order)

1. Z/L-R ARROW/X
2. UP ARROW/L-R ARROW/SPACE

Or maybe control config doesn't affect our drive?
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Paw

Post by Paw »

If you are using a technique for slowing down: pressing accelerate and brake button simultaneously, you have to be sure that you can turn at the same time. Also, you may want to have one finger per one key, so you don't need to switch between keys when you brake (in Quake some players used A S D F config, while some others used mouse button for "+forward"!). But that's important only if you are using brake at all.
OlafK

Post by OlafK »

A/Z for accelerate/brake and comma/period for left/right is also nice configuration.
maclape

Post by maclape »

UP ROWN - ACCEL
LEFT/RIGHT ARROW - STEER
SPACE BAR - BRAKE

So two hands is the best for me :drive:

But in compos or "offline" i usually drive cars that don't need too much breaking.
bhz

Post by bhz »

What about strategy-wise? I see many GRC members pit at the first possible second. Is this beneficial in any way? How would you plan a two-stop strategy?

EDIT: Post #1400 in GR section! YEAH!
Attachments
zzz.jpg
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

bhz wrote:What about strategy-wise? I see many GRC members pit at the first possible second. Is this beneficial in any way? How would you plan a two-stop strategy?

EDIT: Post #1400 in GR section! YEAH!
I'm probably not the best person to ask about strategy, but I like to pit early because at the beginning of the race, there is still less rubber on the track, and as most GR cars have more grip on rubbered tarmac, new tires will have more of an effect then. On the other hand, if you pit later you can have laps with less fuel and new tires, giving you a chance for FL. I think it's usually just best to split the race up into even parts and pit between them, but in GRC especially this can depend on traffic...
I like short, simple signatures!
Paw

Post by Paw »

I would like to see some opinions from the GR champions. I was pitting as late as possible myself, so I could make faster last stop, because I don't need to have full tank.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Very much depends, how you can use the benefit of new tyres. Me not very much, so I'm always conservative in strategy.

Generally, if the tyre wear is over 8-10%, I prefer early pit stop (e.g. 9-10 lap of 20). Then with every next lap I loose too much against other drivers on track. Something like in F1 nowdays.
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Thats the tactic I used in forza 3 when I was racing in a endurance competition at nordscheilfe. AI's were pro so so there was only 5+ seconds time difference, but they were only the 2nd and 3rd, bacause they had audi R10 and peugeot 908. When I was at 4/9 lap, I pitted (default setup) and they were weared about 20%. At 6th lap AI's were slow, because they had over 32% tyre wear. I won the race! :flip:
Last edited by Sutinen on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

I only use my PS2 controller sometimes... because i am not used by it

i am in the photo! :trampo:
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Resident

Driving styles!

Post by Resident »

Well, with driving style I mean the fingers on your keyboard, but of course you can discuss about how to use brakes etc.
But anyways, I normally use just one hand, controlling every button with 3 fingers. I see my self as a weirdo because my other friends use one hand on acceleration and steering but other one with braking. Ive known Gene for many years but Im still confused that which style is the best to drive.

On this topic, you can share your knowledge and driving style with other fellow GeneRally racers or you can ask some tips for how to drive! :bg:

Resident, the evil one.

Edit. It ofc depends from your key mappings. Im using numpad 8, 4, 5 and 6
Kimiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!
Woppoz

Re: Driving styles!

Post by Woppoz »

I play one handed, using my middle three fingers, the index and ring finger to steer, and the middle finger for both acceleration and braking.

I do this for all the games I play with the keyboard, and when I try it with two hands, I fail..

So nothing strange you are Resident ;-)

Edit - I use the arrow keys ;-)
Listen to my favourite song here

And subscribe to my YouTube account here

aka. Inca4life
Buka

Post by Buka »

For me it's much easier to use index and middle fingers of right hand for steering (, and . buttons) and index finger of left hand for acceleration (J button).
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

right hand;

index finger for left, middle finger for gas and brake and ring finger for right.

been using it since ToCa 2 and other racegames, so quite used to it.
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

I play like inca4 too :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alx.it

Post by Alx.it »

Hi folks,

left hand middle finger to accelerate (A key) and index finger to brake (Z key, at least on my keyboard...)
right hand index finger to steer left (left arrow key) and ring finger to steer right (right arrow key), balancing around the middle finger that is always pointed on the up arrow key (but never pushing it...)

About braking, sometimes, when the corner requires a light slow-down (but to release the accelerator isn't enough...), I push together both left fingers, but when I have to brake very hard, in example to approach a hairpin after a long straight, I use to push hard, then release and finally push again my left index finger (sometimes I do even a push-release-push-release-push sequence...), IMHO this way you have a better effort (in other words, you can start braking later...), probably because GR cars have not ABS :rofl:

Best Regards
Alx.it :wave:
Alx.it

Post by Alx.it »

Hi friends,

as I said in another thread, I use left hand middle finger to accelerate (A key) and index finger to brake (Z key, at least on my keyboard...) right hand index finger to steer left (left arrow key) and ring finger to steer right (right arrow key), balancing around the middle finger that is always pointed on the up arrow key (but never pushing it...)

About braking, sometimes, when the corner requires a light slow-down (but to release the accelerator isn't enough...), I push together both left fingers, but when I have to brake very hard, in example to approach a hairpin after a long straight, I use to push hard, then release and finally push again my left index finger (sometimes I do even a push-release-push-release-push sequence...), IMHO this way you have a better effort (in other words, you can start braking later...), probably because GR cars have not ABS :rofl:

About the strategy, it's not easy to find the best one... in endurance races (i.e. Le Mans) it's very hard to guess the best strategy. Motorama Team (my team) required to each team-driver a lot of test sessions with different settings (tyre wear = 0% or fuel consumption = 0%, etc...) before the race (do you remember, TuomoH :hiya: ), and then we analyzed the laptimes, the tyre wear, the fuel load, to find the best solution... in few words: many hours spent working hard, probably to gain only some seconds :? , but anyway it was funny and veeery professional :cool2: , after all isn't a coincidence that we won so many endurance races :P
In "regular" races I noticed that it's often better to make the first pitstop a little bit early, I suppose because the track is not so "rubbered" (like bduddy said...) in the first laps, so you'll loose more time with used tyres in the first part of the race than in the last one, thus you may shorten the first part and have a longer next part. In other words, if you have to do a single pitstop, don't plan it on the middle of the race, but one or two laps before. But, if the championship you race gives you some addictional point for the fastlap, you could choose to pit later, so you'll have a lighter car with fresh tyres and you can catch the best lap. Finally, you have to take into account the position of the AI's: when, with a late pitstop, you can avoid some overtaking, then no doubts, pit late!!! On the other side, if an early pitstop allows you not to lap an AI, then pit early!!!

Best Regards
Alx.it :wave:
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Two handed most of time... I just try to make the best time I can and crash in AIs if they're in the way...
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Control-wise, I use what I like to call the "OL" (doesn't stand for anything, although I've seen the Japanese use it as short for "Office Lady") layout. 'O' for acceleration, 'L' for braking, Z and X for left and right steer respectively. This is really the only keyboard control setup I am comfortable with in racing games, as using arrow keys tends to wreak havoc on my right ring finger.

My racing style is a lot cleaner but if push comes to shove - hey, I'll throw my weight around too.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

My driving style is very unusual and maybe my ultimate handicap:

I mainly attempt to lower my laptimes as often as possible through an "experimental" style: constantly changing the driving line a little (or a lot!) in order to perfect the line. If things don't go as planned, I try another line. Because I experiement with my driving lines so much, I end up being one of the easiest and difficult drivers to actually attack: at times, I can defend my place so well that my laptimes will be bad, yet drivers cannot overtake me because of that. At the same time, however, this experimental way of driving is also very easy to exploit for a more opportunistic driver: once I make a slip-up, he can just punch through and I lose sometimes many places because of this.

Sadly, none of GR's competitions are actually physically between drivers (like in GTR/Race-series, rFactor, etc...), so that makes my unpredictability is one of my biggest flaws. Because you do not have to worry about actually physically battling another driver in GR, the ability to drive defensively becomes a moot point. Since you cannot make contact with your rivals (I don't mean the AI), the best drivers are not simply fast but they are damn consistent, perhaps almost robotic in their precision. Anyone can pull off a fairly quick lap: it takes breaking an old habit to be able to do that and then some every time.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Topics with identical theme merged.
ZeroCool

Post by ZeroCool »

My set is the WSAD or arrows :D Something like left hand middle finger to steer left and index finger to right. I accelerate using right hand middle finger and braking by index. I'm using flat keyboard (laptop)

I'm quite happy about my times, but I have small problem with orginal Formula. I hardly ever use brake (for like 4-5% of corners) and trying to get as close as possible to sunk tyres but I think it's still not the limit of car/me. Maybe I'll show you mine times so you'll get what I'm talking about. Any ideas how to get faster? :ugeek:
Därin - 12:35
Hohenlohe - 12:33
Pumpkin Laek - 13:36
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

My set is arrows for steering and throttle, space for brake. :bg:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I never liked the splitting the control to both hands. Because I use regular arrows to left/right/throttle/break (or left/right/more throttle/less throttle) in many other games, the second hand I leave for control of other things (shifting gears basically in racing games). :)