Possibility of a bounty to get a new GR?

General discussion about your experience with the game.
tonyyeb

Re: Possibility of a bounty to get a new GR?

Post by tonyyeb »

aleksinir wrote:
tonyyeb wrote:
aleksinir wrote:And anyway, I'm 99% sure, that James would not allow this.
How would James be able to stop someone creating a Freeware version of another Freeware game?
Because he (and Rich Nagel) are the followers of Räbinä bro's, making them the "owners" of GR, and they're the only ones who have been given the source code. So it's impossible to make this happen without his acceptance.
I am not talking about reverse engineering the game or hacking it or whatever. I am talking about starting fresh. All new code, by an all new developer. No need to see the source code for GeneRally. This would make a NEW game that looks and plays similar to GeneRally, can load the tracks and cars created for GeneRally but it would have updates such as weather, better AI, online multiplayer etc...

Sorry to sound stern when I say this but nobody can stop that being developed.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

tonyyeb wrote:I am not talking about reverse engineering the game or hacking it or whatever. I am talking about starting fresh. All new code, by an all new developer. No need to see the source code for GeneRally. This would make a NEW game that looks and plays similar to GeneRally, can load the tracks and cars created for GeneRally but it would have updates such as weather, better AI, online multiplayer etc...

A curious question: what is your minimal budget expectations for a similar project, please?
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Ivo Porč wrote:
tonyyeb wrote:I am not talking about reverse engineering the game or hacking it or whatever. I am talking about starting fresh. All new code, by an all new developer. No need to see the source code for GeneRally. This would make a NEW game that looks and plays similar to GeneRally, can load the tracks and cars created for GeneRally but it would have updates such as weather, better AI, online multiplayer etc...

A curious question: what is your minimal budget expectations for a similar project, please?
To be honest i'm not sure what it would take but I think we are looking at $5,000 - $10,000 looking at what else has been developed for less. It may even be more, however if everyone of the 1,100 members of this forum donated $15 then that is $16,500. Obviously not everyone will donate, but some may donate more and there will be others outside this forum that may donate.
Paw

Post by Paw »

tonyyeb wrote:To be honest i'm not sure what it would take but I think we are looking at $5,000 - $10,000 looking at what else has been developed for less. It may even be more, however if everyone of the 1,100 members of this forum donated $15 then that is $16,500. Obviously not everyone will donate, but some may donate more and there will be others outside this forum that may donate.
Well, you're very optimistic. First: we have 1100 members, but only few are active. Second: I don't believe, that there will be many people willing to pay 15$ for this. In my country this is about half of the price of the new games, and you can buy eg. GTR2 for something like ~3-4$.
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Paw wrote:Well, you're very optimistic. First: we have 1100 members, but only few are active. Second: I don't believe, that there will be many people willing to pay 15$ for this. In my country this is about half of the price of the new games, and you can buy eg. GTR2 for something like ~3-4$.
It was only a rough calculation and I did say "Obviously not everyone will donate" that included dormant member accounts. $15 in the UK is currently £10. That is a third of the price of a new PC game and a 1/5th the price of an Xbox 360 / PS3 game. GTR2 has been out a long time so not a good example, plus it isn't GeneRally.

What I am suggesting is that if the community wants a new version of GeneRally with backwards compatibility of tracks and cars, with new features (my top priority would be online multiplayer) then this is an option. The other option is to sit and wait... like we have done for the past 6+ years.
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

Hey - GR 1.10 is a new version!!!
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Wouter wrote:Hey - GR 1.10 is a new version!!!
Why on earth did you have to dig this ancient thread just to say that? :doh:
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

TuomoH wrote:
Wouter wrote:Hey - GR 1.10 is a new version!!!
Why on earth did you have to dig this ancient thread just to say that? :doh:
Sorry, i didnt see it being a bump due the thread being completeley up the list for some reason. And i didnt see the time of last post. Sorry for that...
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

That would be rather obvious as there are very few topics in this subforum, look at the dates of the threads at the bottom ;)