Possibility of a bounty to get a new GR?

General discussion about your experience with the game.
tonyyeb

Possibility of a bounty to get a new GR?

Post by tonyyeb »

I have been playing GeneRally for about 6 years now. I can't make tracks for toffee, nor cars for that matter but love it to bits. I, like a lot of people would like to see new developments like on line multiplayer, weather etc... but as we know a new version seems unlikely.

What would the GR community think to contributing to a 'bounty' to pay a developer to create a new version of the game which is backward compatible with the existing tracks, cars etc... but has new features we all would like? The bounty is only payable once certain milestones are achieved. This kind of systems works well in other development communities (here is one I have contributed to in the past for parts of an Commodore Amiga OS remake http://www.power2people.org/)

Is this something people would be willing to participate in?
Sutinen

Re: Possibility of a bounty to get a new GR?

Post by Sutinen »

Are you here to advertise that site, or are you serious? :scratch:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

No I'm not here to advertise that site. I am nothing to do with it. I was just using it as an example of what can be achieved using the bounty system.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Interesting idea. ;) But until my trust in J.Burgess will not die (who were saying, that works on 1.06), I'll wait on him. (On other hand it's not time-border-less trust.)
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Sorry, I just was wondering why theres prices like 1000$ in the menu. :shake2:
...... ಠ_ಠ
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Sutinen wrote:Sorry, I just was wondering why theres prices like 1000$ in the menu. :shake2:
1000$ for a purpose-built piece of software? That's nothing!
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Ivo Porč wrote:Interesting idea. ;) But until my trust in J.Burgess will not die (who were saying, that works on 1.06), I'll wait on him. (On other hand it's not time-border-less trust.)
Wasn't the source code passed to him in January this year? So 7 months and still nothing... how long do we wait?
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

i was thinking you were another spammer :hot:
:scratch: what would be the bounty? :hiya:
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Alonsomania wrote:
I was just thinking that someone of the mods or admins are going to pay 1000$ for a software that is freeware.
...... ಠ_ಠ
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Donations, just like OpenTTD. ;)
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Sutinen wrote:
Alonsomania wrote:
I was just thinking that someone of the mods or admins are going to pay 1000$ for a software that is freeware.
Why the mods or admins? There are 1000+ users here... sure, they aren't all active, but if we get together most of the people are, I think they would agree that a new GR would be worth 5 or 10 dollars...
I like short, simple signatures!
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

:iagree: it's getting to 2000 :flip: :flip: :flip:
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

I'll pay up to 20 dollars for get a new :gr:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I think :gr: should still be freeware
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

It's not talk about prize of GR. It's talk about donation to pay people, who could evolve the game. Then after they would finish it, the updated game would again have freeware status, if I understood the discussion well. ;)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Of course, but I'd prefer a version by James Burgess so we don't have to pay ;)
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

XYY wrote:Of course, but I'd prefer a version by James Burgess so we don't have to pay ;)
We would all love that but i'm tired of waiting. How much longer could we all be waiting?
Ivo Porč wrote:It's not talk about prize of GR. It's talk about donation to pay people, who could evolve the game. Then after they would finish it, the updated game would again have freeware status, if I understood the discussion well. ;)
That is correct. We would all donate a small amount, that would make a big amount. The developer works on it. We say x,y and z features need to be complete for the first 25% of the payment. Then the next set of features for the next payment and so on.

Then once complete remaining payment is made, source code is made Open Source and NewGeneRally becomes freeware.

Is this something we should look at? We could set a deadline of finding a willing developer within 12 months of fund raising say. If no one suitable is found we all get our money back. We can find an independent, trusted website that will handle the money (probably by paypal) so no one is left alone with the cash.
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Id prefer a freeware version, because I dont have a credit card and my parents dont use their credit cards to things like these. (even if theres finnish payment thing like Nordea, if it works parents wont let me do that.)
...... ಠ_ಠ
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Sutinen wrote:Id prefer a freeware version, because I dont have a credit card and my parents dont use their credit cards to things like these. (even if theres finnish payment thing like Nordea, if it works parents wont let me do that.)
The project when finished would be freeware. Just the more dontaions the more likely we could get a developer onto the project, the sooner we would get the end product. We would also have the source code to allow for future changes.

Donations may be able to be made by other ways than credit card but that is something we could look at once it is agreed to start the bounty.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

I would rather pay for a finished product instead of donating to something that might never actually be finished. I will neither want to pay about something that might be nowhere near what I had in my mind.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

1nsane wrote:I will neither want to pay about something that might be nowhere near what I had in my mind.
Exactly. I'd rather pay to NOT give the source code to some person who never has played GR, which would mean that it would probably turn out wrong.
Also it would be possible, that James would finish 1.06 before this bounty programmer. (if ever finished, like 1nsane said)

And anyway, I'm 99% sure, that James would not allow this.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

For me would be best idea to mix it both - a bounty programmer doing under frame directions set by James and Rich reflecting some community needs (instead of doing it on their own, if they are too busy to finish it). Maybe it would be acceptable for Räbinäs too.

Otherwise the first task for the bounty programmer would be revert engineering the code (which would increase the costs rapidly).
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

aleksinir wrote:And anyway, I'm 99% sure, that James would not allow this.
How would James be able to stop someone creating a Freeware version of another Freeware game?

The bounty idea was not suggested by me to annoy anyone or get anyones back up. I see a game that hasn't seen a release for many years and a large community looking for some updates. I'm trying to move the project on. When was the last update from James as to what he has done for the next version? When will it be released? What are the future plans?

Really everyone knows the best way to get GeneRally development moving is to open source the code :bg:
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

tonyyeb wrote:
aleksinir wrote:And anyway, I'm 99% sure, that James would not allow this.
How would James be able to stop someone creating a Freeware version of another Freeware game?
Because he (and Rich Nagel) are the followers of Räbinä bro's, making them the "owners" of GR, and they're the only ones who have been given the source code. So it's impossible to make this happen without his acceptance.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Cool Idea, I would pay too.

But I am not tired of waiting - I am tired of waiting for some news or information what is going on. It cant be that hard to give us information about the progress. But there is nothing. The last news i heard was that they try to convert gr to a new graphics engine (right?) or something like that. Practicaly we know nothing :weep:

But I would pay or donate to support the development - whoever the developer is :)

Cu Crono