Procedure of acceptation of new rules

Important notifications about forum and its maintenance.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Procedure of acceptation of new rules

Post by Trigger Happy »

After long discussion between mods we decided to update forum rules this Wednesday. The present rules were written in speed during first day of our forum and have lot of gaps missings. We want to be sure, that all of us notice them so we decided for a simple procedure, which will happen since this Wednesday:
1. Counter of posts will be reset. By it all registered users will be moved into ''Newly registered users'' group.
2. This group will have access only to one subforum called ''Accepting of rules'' with one topic, which will include full text of new rules and with ask to post a reply with any content into that topic.
3. By sending the reply the user will be automatically moved back to group ''Registered users'' with full access to whole forum.

So don't be scared or surprised on the Wednesday, guys. we believe, that these new rules will fit better to needs of our community and will stimulate its grow, so we hope, that you'll excuse this little inconvenience.

DXTR & Trigger Happy

Edit: obsolete. More in following posts.
Crono
Forum Admin

Re: Procedure of acceptation of new rules

Post by Crono »

"Counter of posts will be reset."
Why?!? oO

And why not just update the rules? If someone does not agree with the new rules he can still leave ...

Cu Crono
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

We want to be sure 100%, that everybody will notice this change. In past several users, who broke old rules, did it, because they didn't noticed their existence.

Move between usergroups, which one is for users with 0 posts and second for users with 1 or more posts is cleanest solution of this procedure. Everything will happen automatically and immediately.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

And the the counter is LOST? :really:

Cu Crono
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I have to say that is not a clever way of doing things. The problem comes with people who were here in the past, and come back in a couple of months, for example. And a post counter reset is not helpful either. I've agreed to the rules, they aren't the problem, but...
Paw

Post by Paw »

I saw on some forums something like an message showing up, asking you to accept the rules. Isn't it possible on this engine?
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

well i too feel there probably is a better way to do this, such as Paw's suggestion, which i too have seen, however you have planned it as such and so i have no real problem, whatever you feel is necessary.

and at the end of the day, people rarely read the rules upon registration now, doing this doesnt mean they will read it now as they will just scroll down to find the tick box, i know that that is what i tend to do

and i presume 'guests' will have the same access that they have now?

edit: and a shame that the post count has to be reset, i was trying to keep up with aleksi :shhh: haha
dead14vii1640

Post by dead14vii1640 »

I have to say no to this proposal due to the collateral damage.
I don't know why people have to reset their post counter only because rules have changed. That's the same as if you said: "we have to delete all users and start all over again"... I think Paw's suggestion is better BY FAR.
Power without control is nothing
"So long and thanks for all the meat"
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Well, this solution was recommended to us by support as best and less painful, if we want really be sure.

But is the number of posts, which you have under avatar really so important? :scratch: More opinions please, guys. :bg:

Theoretically I can send to everybody PM, but it would be just announcing the rules. :down: Not request of acceptance with options yes/no. :( I can ask yes/no only newly registered users, by updating the rules in registration procedure. But if I want to ask for re-acceptance us, who are registered, I must use a trick like e.g. the reset counter.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

of course post count isnt that important, its just nice to keep it, rather than reset it :D

is it really that important that people already registered need to understand the rules again. and sorry, but if they didnt read them the first time, like i said, they will just go to the tick box without reading all through them again. its a problem with these things nowadays; for example, reading licence agreements for games. Who acutally reads them when installing a game? yet you always click the 'agree' button.

i can understand the reasons for this move by admins, but not sure if it is really all that necessary, particularly for already registered members :2c:
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

I dont get it, whats so important? Do you need my credit card number? Deleting the postcounter of all members just to anounce a few changes in the rules?

Cu Crono
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

A lot of people make far too much about post counts, although it is nice at times to see who has been around for a while and who is new. What I'm really wondering is, what's so important in these new rules that you have to make absolutely sure everyone sees them? I haven't really seen any major problems in this forum, aside perhaps from rules regarding "bumping", which is always a tricky subject no matter what is done...
I like short, simple signatures!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

OK, guys. You're right. We'll solve it only by global PM and announcement. :bg:
dead14vii1640

Post by dead14vii1640 »

THANKS A LOT :bowdown:
I think it's VERY good that admins listen to what users like (at least, once ;) ).
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Global PM send as you wished.

BTW don't think, that we sent it to you 4 times, because we really want to be sure, that you had read it. It's not my fault. When I tried to send it, it showed me always server error 500, so I completely didn't know, that it was sent, until DXTR screamed on me, that he received it 4 times! :rage: :faintgirl: :hide: :D
dead14vii1640

Post by dead14vii1640 »

I've also recieved the message "fource" (four times, no?? Hahahahaha). Some rules are not 100% but I know I don't have to walk on the edge, hehe.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Thanks for that... although you should remember the first rule of Internet forums: the error messages are always lying :headbang:
Do you think you could highlight which parts of the rules have changed? It'd be easier to follow that way...
I like short, simple signatures!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Both versions (new and old) are in rules forum, so you can make comparison. ;) Basically everything was changed or at lest re-tuned. :)