Big forum update on Sunday, November 29th, 2020

Important notifications about forum and its maintenance.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Big forum update on Sunday, November 29th, 2020

Post by TuomoH »

The forum will be moved to a new server and upgraded on this Sunday, November 29th, 2020. The downtime will start in the morning at 8:00 GMT +1. Since the upgrade is big, including a migration, the forum will be shut the whole day. Sorry for any inconvenience!
Txizzle

Re: Big forum update on Sunday, November 29th, 2020

Post by Txizzle »

Thanks for the update! :mrgreen: I didn't know it was gonna happen, but i'm curious about the changes. :goal:
To finish first, first you have to finish!
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

First of all, I'd like to apologize for the prolonged downtime. The update went well but the domain switch by the hoster took longer than planned. :meditate:

As you can see, we have a new look. We have updated the forum engine from 3.0.x to 3.3.x, and the old theme was not compatible with the new version. The forum engine needed to be updated for several reasons, one of them being encrypting of the traffic (read https). Furthermore, the old version of the engine was no longer supported. Now everything should be fine. Furthermore, the forum was moved to another server to make things smoother at Crono's end. :cool2:

Another thing that we did, we added a new section called "GeneRacing and other projects" since there's been quite much activity with people creating GeneRally-like games. GeneRacing is the most active of those at this forum, so we decided to give them their own subsection. :goal:

At this stage, we haven't set all the little details that were in place with the previous forum version (such as links to other crucial websites) but we will be adding them soon.

Finally, if you see anything peculiar with the way the forum works, please report it in this thread!
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

I also apologize for the downtime, but i hope everyone is happy with the update. Also a new feature: the Forum has now proper SSL-Encryption. Some missing things like the Buttons to other GR-projects in the header will be sorted out this week and added to the forum.
don_fifi

Post by don_fifi »

Loving the new look! It took me by surprise :D
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Looking fantastic!

I had to delete all my browser cookies, not just the ones relevant to the board, just in case anyone does still have issues.
View my archived circuits/cars here
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Crowella wrote:I had to delete all my browser cookies, not just the ones relevant to the board, just in case anyone does still have issues.
Yes, this seems to be an issue for several people. I've edited the announcement. Thanks for letting us know!