Mars Palette

Miscellaneous worthy stuff, which will make your GR experience even more special.
ACM

Mars Palette

Post by ACM »

Code: Select all

==========================================================
Mars: A palette by
                        /   /        __--*``
                       /   /  ___-________
                      /   /  / _ V _  _-`
                     /   /  / / | / | |
                    /   /\  | | | | | |
                   /   / _-`__|_|_|_|_|
                _-`   /_-*`           |   
             _-`   _-*`_______________|
          _-`_________________________|                 v2

Changelog
---------
v1.1:
Changed a few colours.

v2:
Completely redone entire palette.
Changed palette name to just "mars".

Information
-----------
Race across the Martial soil under its rust sky with this
palette, which modifies or completely redoes every colour
to give off the iconic Mars setting.

Instructions
------------
Extract the zip file into your main GeneRally directory,
then open your "gr.ini" file which is located in your main
GeneRally directory, look for the string
"PaletteFile = gr.pal" and replace it with
"PaletteFile = mars.pal" (minus the quotes).

© Alexander Cowie 2004-2010
Users are free to modify and distribute this palette
however they like.
I probably never would've updated this if Longbow didn't ask me to upload my old palette again, making me realise there is actually someone who wants my really bad stuff. However, rather than leave it in it's previously ugly state I decided to completely redo it instead.

While working on this I have not found any more information about what each palette colour is beyond the old GR_105_Palette_legend text file Strava made seven years ago, and that doesn't explain water colours and what each one shows beyond stating that 120-143 are all water colours. So I devised my own formula to understand what each colour is for, and how to recreate the water in the original gr pal file, which I would use in this palette. Please shoot me down though if this has already been discussed before.
___
Currently tarmac has 30 colours designated to it, grass, mud, dirt, sand and snow each have 15 colours, and white, yellow, and red kerbs each have 5 colours. For every row of five colours the third/middle one is sampled for the water palette. That gives you 6 tarmac colours, 3 grass, mud, dirt, sand and snow colours, and 1 colour each for white, yellow, and red kerbs.

The following list shows you which colours are used for which underwater surfaces:
120-125 tarmac,oil,stones,loose gravel,gate posts
126-128 grass
129-131 mud
132-134 dirt
135-137 sand,concrete pole top
138-140 snow,ice
141 white line,sunk tire
142 yellow line
143 red line

Objects only have 3 colours each, every middle one is sampled for the water palette.

The actual colour of the water was determined by measuring the difference in hue, saturation and brightness from the darkest sky colour(64, 160, 255) and the brightest(255, 255, 255), then increasing those differences by 1/3. That gave me the actual water colour(0, 128, 255). Now take all the sampled colours and fill the actual water colour over them with 50% transparency, that should give you perfect matching results.
watercolourdiagram.png
___
Anyway, I've put many hours into looking at reference images, searching for a balance between realistic and iconic and trying to get the colours just right. It's still not perfect, but so far these ones have clicked best with me. I would really appreciate feedback and suggestions on what I should change or improve before I do anything else with this.
Attachments
mars0000.jpg
mars0001.jpg
mars0002.jpg
Mars.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Mars Palette

Post by Trigger Happy »

:wow:

I'm still so amazed, what everything we lost during years. :yummy:
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Re: Mars Palette

Post by LongBow »

:bowdown:

Not only that you have updated you mars palette, you also put some effort to figure out how the water colors works.

I will add you palette in the next update of the generally palettes archive and I would also like to ask for you blessing to add you discoveries about the water colors as a sort of tutorial in the "tools" section of the site.

Thanks you for your time and effort :up: