Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Rendy

Re: Developer Blog

Post by Rendy »

Cue sighs of relief... Glad to hear he's fine and well :)
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Rendy wrote:Cue sighs of relief... Glad to hear he's fine and well :)
+1
puttz

Post by puttz »

Good update, that new car editor looks nice, but maybe a little less straight-forward and simple to quickly pick up and understand what each value effects, unlike GR1 where most were self-explanitory (for example, what exactly does drive train inertia do?).
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

puttz wrote:It's approaching a month since we last heard anything from the dev team. So much for improving their PR. I reiterate, this lack of any communication, not even short little posts to let us know that stuff is happening, does not inspire confidence in the dev team. This the part of the reason the KS failed. Yes, I know Kimmo vanished, but it still was rather poor of them to not let us know a little more while the KS was happening. Is GR2 going to end up as Vaporware that never gets finished?
Day after day I just think that maybe GR2 will be never finished or at least it will be waste of time. How bad can be one game code to say that further bug fixing and improving is not possible? Why for 12+ years it was possible and suddenly someone said "no way, we can't improve the game further"? Money hunger? I think donations were a good way to receive money without offending anyone. And GR1 was attracting project at least. And suddenly after the obvious fail of the KS one of the developers disappeared. Sounds like an excuse for me for the silence around... I will be not surprised if after some weeks a new dev post would say: "Sorry we give up!".

It's just my opinion.
Gentlemens, start your engines!
Paw

Post by Paw »

RacerBG wrote:
puttz wrote:How bad can be one game code to say that further bug fixing and improving is not possible? Why for 12+ years it was possible and suddenly someone said "no way, we can't improve the game further"?
Well, if the code is written not that well (and it could have been, as GR1 was a hoby project initially), fixing one thing can break 3 other things. Also making new features often involves many workarounds and "dirty fixes", so it is understandable.

Personally I wouldn't use Unity but something like Ogre3d, but maybe I'm just biased, as I am annoyed by some project in Unity I'm involved in. :vsad:
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Paw wrote:
RacerBG wrote:
puttz wrote:How bad can be one game code to say that further bug fixing and improving is not possible? Why for 12+ years it was possible and suddenly someone said "no way, we can't improve the game further"?
Well, if the code is written not that well (and it could have been, as GR1 was a hoby project initially), fixing one thing can break 3 other things. Also making new features often involves many workarounds and "dirty fixes", so it is understandable.

Personally I wouldn't use Unity but something like Ogre3d, but maybe I'm just biased, as I am annoyed by some project in Unity I'm involved in. :vsad:
If you ask me on that - I would use for example Visual Studio or something like that. Yes, it's expensive but the end result is worth the money.
Gentlemens, start your engines!
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Time for another blog update please :goodvibes:
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.... A couple of lines at least in the blog, just to keep the community motivated!
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

^ What do you expect? This is why their Kickstarter failed.
Rampage.
Areen

Post by Areen »

Paw wrote:Personally I wouldn't use Unity but something like Ogre3d, but maybe I'm just biased, as I am annoyed by some project in Unity I'm involved in. :vsad:
Well said. Also, you can now see the reason why I didn't attempted to kickstarter campaign. Actual and ealier development says for itself.
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

I wonder why James hasn't been very active on his personal Twitter account either lately... A few tweets every week which don't have to be posted on the official GR Twitter would suffice too.
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

by now the alpha version should be ready to be released..
puttz

Post by puttz »

I am afraid that GR2 may not happen after all. At this rate, if it does come out eventually, it probably ought to be totally free imo. I'm kind of glad the Kickstarter didn't go through if this is the kind of customer service we are getting. If they aren't working on it any more or hardly at all, it would be nice to let us know that is the case, or give us some kind of update and/or roadmap so that we have some idea of what their goals are. Don't mean to sound too harsh, but I agree with jefcam for once. From what they said previously, it seems like we should have an alpha version in our hands by now :(
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

I think some people on here need a reality check. These guys are developing this in their own time, unpaid with families to support and one team member less. Stop bleeting like stroppy teenagers, expecting something for nothing. Get a grip and stop being ungrateful and impatient.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Most of us understand that, but that does not mean that we can't expect at least a brief post somewhere (forum, blog, twitter, facebook). It doesn't have to be long, just a few sentences letting us know what is going on. That only takes a couple minutes to do. Whether it be by a team member or someone posting for them if they are having issues (family, medical, etc.), it would be nice to at least have some idea of what is going on as far as the game goes, particularly when they were trying to get funded via Kickstarter (which failed, perhaps fortuitously). Especially when they said a couple months ago that they were near alpha release, we'd just like to get an update on how things are (or are not) going :)
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Hmmm so it wasn't you who wrote...
puttz wrote:it probably ought to be totally free imo.
and this...
puttz wrote:I'm kind of glad the Kickstarter didn't go through if this is the kind of customer service we are getting.
and this...
puttz wrote:From what they said previously, it seems like we should have an alpha version in our hands by now
Doesn't sound like you are sympathetic towards the situation at all. If the Kickstarter had succeeded then you might be entitled to be saying some of these things but as you have paid zero amount of money as far as I'm concerned the developers have every right to take as much time as they need or even quit.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I have no concerns about lack of developing, but I must admit my disappointment, that the James' words about learning a lesson from lack of KS updates aren't followed by corresponding actions/activities towards public, which would give a serious meaning to those words.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

tonyyeb wrote:Hmmm so it wasn't you who wrote...
and this...
puttz wrote:I'm kind of glad the Kickstarter didn't go through if this is the kind of customer service we are getting.
and this...
puttz wrote:From what they said previously, it seems like we should have an alpha version in our hands by now
Doesn't sound like you are sympathetic towards the situation at all. If the Kickstarter had succeeded then you might be entitled to be saying some of these things but as you have paid zero amount of money as far as I'm concerned the developers have every right to take as much time as they need or even quit.
I feel that, as the long-awaiting GR community, we should be entitled to at least some kind of update. If the current development team wants to set a new schedule or step back entirely, that's fine, but we should at least know, especially if the Rabinas have any interest in implementing a new development plan.
I like short, simple signatures!
masil

Post by masil »

As a virtual outsider to these forums, I do fully understand that I don't have the right to demand updates and whatnot from the developers.

I do have to say though that the lack of communication is very damaging to any potential future crowd funding activities. I did contribute to the failed Kickstarter but for me to do so again, I think I need to see something change here to convince me that the developers are up to speed.

Last time we had a hiatus like this in the updates, we heard that one of the developers had dissappeared. I sincerely hope nothing like this is happening right now.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

tonyyeb wrote:Hmmm so it wasn't you who wrote...
and this...
and this...
You can´t be more clear and more right. :up:
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

We’ll have more news in the coming weeks about when the Alpha will begin, and how access to it will work – but for now, work continues in earnest!

– James & Markku

summer is over.... and not at least a 1-liner news update.
Areen

Post by Areen »

We don't deserve updates because we didn't pay them for kickstarter. ;)
The Grimeloid

Post by The Grimeloid »

Areen wrote:We don't deserve updates because we didn't pay them for kickstarter. ;)

He is right you know. And I understand that, it's VERY fair... I never helped them on KS, why should I deserve updates?
"He's FAT!" - Steiner, Scott

"YOU'VE GOT WILLY JAKES!" - Johnson, Ahmed

"Huuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH" - Penzer, Dave

"How do you come back from a performance like this? The answer is YOU DON'T!" - NFL Blitz 2001 commentator
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Areen wrote:We don't deserve updates because we didn't pay them for kickstarter. ;)
If I was them I would be giving up citing the reason as the people who whinge on the forum expecting something for nothing and feeling they have a right to demand news / features / updates / free software from people who are developing this as a hobby now that the KS campaign wasn't successful. Not to mention the 33% reduction in man power and skills due to personal reasons.
Areen

Post by Areen »

Yeah @tonyyeb, one sentence about if they doing something at the game or not is so big expectation from community, even if most of this community contributed in kickstarter? Flawless logic! I accept this is hobby - but god, posting a message a forum takes 15 seconds...

I'm not demanding a free software. I'm willing to hear at least one sentence saying that they're gonna do something or not. I want to support this project but I'm unable to contribute if there is no futher information from developers. Kickstarter simply didn't convince me that this game is worth giving a penny because it was poorly developed and it showed nothing new in comparison to GR1. Only empty plans, no real development or progress (as I said ealier what I think about developing in unity engine - I was simply right). And one last thing - nothing is taking so much time from writing a simple post on forum. You need to be dead / in hospital or have no internet connection at all. Even Kimmo said something. So for me it's a simple sign that they abandoned their project and right now they have no balls to come clean and say that there will be no future development.

I'm sorry that I'm taking it a bit more seriously than I should take, but I'm done with people who thinks that they have all right to be silent for such a long time.