Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
bduddy

Re: Developer Blog

Post by bduddy »

The fact is, the Rabinas have assigned their rights to James and co, and it's their right to do whatever they want. So there's nothing we can do about it other than have a bunch of long and pointless arguments, and make a lot of people mad at each other.

If the current dev team is not willing or able to put the time and effort required to make GR2 now that there's no funding, I completely understand and I would hope that everyone else here would as well. I would only ask that they notify all of us, and in particular the Rabinas, so that alternative arrangements can be explored and/or we can have some closure. If they are... well, I already went over this, but even brief updates would be appreciated by the community. No deadlines necessary, no promises, just quick notes...
I like short, simple signatures!
Glen

Post by Glen »

bduddy wrote:so that alternative arrangements can be explored
Like generally 1 with online mode? Everyone would be happy I think.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Buka wrote:Luke, you've misinterpret meaning of "different point of view". It seems like you feel satisfaction from the hypothetical GR2's failure - and that's not the point of view, it's idiocy, considering how much soul and time you contributed in GR1. Actually you are acting exactly like Kremlin quinta columna in Ukraine. There are a lot of well-respected people in Ukraine who are linked with Russia and who lived pretty well on Russian money year ago. But when all the s**t began to happen in Ukraine, they were cut off the Russian feeder. So now they acts exactly like you do: Ukraine (GR2 in your case) is dead and so on.

GR v.1.10 came out of blue sky, as far as I remember. So I suppose that the GR v.2 will come out the same way. Yes, it may take some time, of course. And it's our duty to keep the community alive until then. Your negative posts harm this goal.

I don't mean to offend you. I understand that, probably, you've grown up and your vision on some points of your life, including the game, have changed, too. But please respect the feeling of other people.

And no, it's not about "It is dead" post, it's about your attitude.
I take no satisfaction from GR 2.0 failing. I would like it to succeed, but I am not happy with the way the entire thing has been run, from start to finish; I believe I have every right to say as such, particularly when objectively bad decisions have been made by the devs (and no, this isn't me getting into the debate of F2P vs P2P again). I also believe I have every right to say that I don't trust the devs, particularly when we know for a fact that James has failed in big roles in the past (RSC). I don't think the comparison with GR1.10 is valid, because no-one had any idea that was going to happen bar a very select few people; everyone knows GR2.0 was/is being worked on. I also really don't like being compared to a Russian sympathizer, although I do understand what you actually meant by that.

And Glen, I think a GR1 version with multiplayer mode would go a long way to satisfying people. I don't see the current devs doing it though, unless they officially can GR2.0; it would take up too much time and resources, and would also reduce the playerbase of any eventual GR2.0 release.
Warlex

Post by Warlex »

Glen wrote:Like generally 1 with online mode? Everyone would be happy I think.
I don't know what's going on here recently, just that the development is, if not dead, quite slow. I'm not here to talk about it, just about Glen's last post that I've quoted up here.

That would be, in my opinion, f**king awesome. I believe the best part of this game is the capacity to make cars and tracks and create everything you want, and I think GR2 would make it harder for people with less knowledge of these stuff to do it.

Anyway, just saying. Maybe you already had this discussion and had a solution for it, and I'm being pointless here.

Peace. :D
Glen

Post by Glen »

Warlex wrote:I'm being pointless here.
You'r not pointless for me :)
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Warlex wrote:Anyway, just saying. Maybe you already had this discussion and had a solution for it, and I'm being pointless here.
You'll be never pointless in this thread. It's always good to tell everybody your opinion anytime IMO :bg:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

What happened here? "silence is golden" and that's it no more updates!
Glen

Post by Glen »

jefcam wrote:What happened here? "silence is golden" and that's it no more updates!
Must be rich with so much silence.
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

Glen wrote:Like generally 1 with online mode? Everyone would be happy I think.
:iagree: IMO..
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

I agree too, but I think that making online for gr1 is more difficult than making gr2.
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
puttz

Post by puttz »

At this point the discussion is kind of moot, because neither one looks like it will happen. Mainly because the code to GR1 is in the hands of the same people who are (were?) working on GR2. I doubt they will add online to GR1, they'd rather start from scratch (which they started on) with a new game rather than try to add online functionality to the old game.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

I cant understand the WHY, the developers have not issued a statement regarding the future of this project, being positive or negative.
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Can someone please remind me what had happened with the source code of generally. To whom did the Rabina brothers gave the code? What was the agreement between them?
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Don't remember the details but the source code was handed to James to be used with his team and his team only.

As for the silence, the last time I spoke with James, he was very disheartened about all the negative comments basically every post and decision the developers had made got here. Interestingly he got more positive support outside the community, even though one might imagine that this community should be the most supportive place to be.

Anyway, as far as I know, the development is still on but James has chosen to keep media silence until there is something major to tell.
puttz

Post by puttz »

That may be a wise decision as every update seems only to bring whining about stuff. That being said it would be nice if he could confirm that development is still ongoing and GR2 has not been abandoned.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

TuomoH wrote:Anyway, as far as I know, the development is still on but James has chosen to keep media silence until there is something major to tell.
Can't say I blame him
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Don't remember the details but the source code was handed to James to be used with his team and his team only
1. I agree 100% that this generally community without pointing fingers to anyone took a negative approach to the project. If the fund raising project failed it was not just the fault of the dev team.

I hope and would be glad that the project is still in progress.

Regarding the source code I think it was handed to James and his team to use for the general benefit of all the community. So one day I hope that something interesting will pop up.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

I get sad everytime I see no news here... I was one of those really hpoing to participate in the sequel and see it happening one day.
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

I do not see a reason why the developers of GR2 are finding it hard to make a 1-liner and say that the project will or not continue.
RodSk8Punk

Post by RodSk8Punk »

If we are not getting GeneRally 2 anymore, couldn't we at least get GeneRally 1.3 or something? Add some new objects on the track editor, make some new tracks using them and you're done.
I wonder how hard it would be to add some sort of feature that associates palettes with tracks, so you didn't need to switch it manually for a night track/sunset track/moon track etc. Tracks themselves could have OTHER tracks associated with them if you wanted to make variables to it:
(oh, this track works with morning, sunset, cloudy and wet palettes, but night requires this different one, with lights painted on) or (this is the "Club" layout, this is the "GT" layout, etc.)
If the same worked for cars, it would be nice. It would be a good way to organize stuff.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

That honestly seems like a rather reasonable idea. Perhaps the development team could try to think about it :).
Just a few new objects or anything...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

If I understood it well, the decision for sequel was reasoned among other points by opinion of developers, that it's easier to expand GR by more features and other stuff by making a sequel game than by updating in boundaries of the old code. :shrug:
jefcam wrote:I do not see a reason why the developers of GR2 are finding it hard to make a 1-liner and say that the project will or not continue.
Because they think they said it enough clearly in their so far last blog post and see no reason to repeat already said? I'm not saying it's either good or bad approach, but only how I feel the matter.
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
Ricardolosso

Post by Ricardolosso »

Hey guys, anyone has any news reagarding GR2....i've been out a couple of years but now I'm back, still nothing changed as I saw on the website of dev. page :(
Ries was here!
puttz

Post by puttz »

Nope, there's been complete silence. Either they are doing their work in the dark now, or GR2 is just vaporware :worried:
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff