Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Developer Blog

Post by Mad Dan »

If there is something to get from Kickstarter, I'd buy some merch or stuff like that to help GR :). If not, I guess I wouldn't mind either to donate anyway ;).
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

My point is that the game should not HAVE to be payed for. If you actually bother to read what I've written, I fully support a Kickstarter-type thing, where people get benefits for donating, or sensible DLC. I do not, and will not, support a shareware or fully-paid-for GeneRally, because that is the exact opposite of what makes GeneRally so good.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Calm down, I was just expresing my attitude towards Kickstarter.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I wasn't replying to you, Dan - I was replying to Aleksi. :)
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

If GR 2 is shareware or fully-paid game then in my point of view the true spirit of GeneRally. But that's only my oppinion.
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Founder of International GeneRally Racing League (IGRL) with zgr and Np2003.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Lukeno94 wrote:I'm certainly reluctant to support a purely payed-for game. Now, if the devs want to add DLC (as long as it's sensible DLC) or want to give special perks to those who donate, that's fine.
:iagree:

@Ivo: My bad, I couldn't tell the original GR from the sequel for some reason :oops:
ACM

Post by ACM »

Ugh... please don't take the freemium route. Why anyone would think the model of nickel-and-diming doesn't end up being a magnitude more expensive than had they bought a full game is beyond me.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Here's another issue that may pop up if the game becomes paid for: compos. Compo organizers are used to being able to distribute the full game with the proper settings for the series, as well as all the content (tracks, cars) that are required for the series, and the series can be in it's own little folder. Now, if the game becomes paid for, organizers can no longer distribute the game. They can only distribute the content, and players will suddenly have to find their way through all of the cars in their collection to find the correct cars for the series, and also dig through all their track folders to find the tracks for the series. Not to mention that they would have to check and change the settings for each individual race. Not a good thing in my opinion.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

If you'd have the game installed, then you can copy the folder with clean installation on hdd as many times as needed and then inside one such the files related to particular compo or modification in general. Compos then would provide only something like current ''minipacks'' instead of fully modified game pack, so it'd be up to player to place e.g. tracks into ''Tracks'' folder and remove useless files (like default tracks), it would be certainly less comfortable, but not that big issue, 5 mins max. ;-)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Lukeno94 wrote:My point is that the game should not HAVE to be payed for. If you actually bother to read what I've written, I fully support a Kickstarter-type thing, where people get benefits for donating, or sensible DLC. I do not, and will not, support a shareware or fully-paid-for GeneRally, because that is the exact opposite of what makes GeneRally so good.
Im too supporter for the free software (as a Linux user). Of course Donate functions and Kickstarter will be great for the project but making the product shareware will change everything. And I have only free software on my machine right now. Usually I never buy software, I buy only hardware. :bg:
Gentlemens, start your engines!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

puttz wrote:Here's another issue that may pop up if the game becomes paid for: compos. Compo organizers are used to being able to distribute the full game with the proper settings for the series, as well as all the content (tracks, cars) that are required for the series, and the series can be in it's own little folder. Now, if the game becomes paid for, organizers can no longer distribute the game. They can only distribute the content, and players will suddenly have to find their way through all of the cars in their collection to find the correct cars for the series, and also dig through all their track folders to find the tracks for the series. Not to mention that they would have to check and change the settings for each individual race. Not a good thing in my opinion.
Well, one would hope that GR 2 would include a more robust competition system if distribution would be more difficult (or even if it's not!)

As for the underlying issue, I don't know... I mean, I like free stuff as much as anyone else, but I don't think any of us really have a right to tell GR's original and current developers what they can do with their product. I mean, if they all decide that GR2 costs $1000, I wouldn't buy it and would certainly talk loudly about how stupid that was, but ultimately, it's their call.
I like short, simple signatures!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Of course it's their call, but it doesn't mean that we don't have a right to voice our opinions. Put it this way, I could almost guarantee that they'd get more people donating via Kickstarter than would ever pay for the game.
Last edited by Lukeno94 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

You forget, that James and co. have results of the detail interest check made not long ago (and still open), so they do insist on securing that people certainly have a very direct way, how to let guys know individual opinions among other on this issue. Not to mention other own experience (e.g. James has some with donation (co-)funding of certain forum, if you remember), so I think, they have a solid ground to choose the most suitable solution, which will secure good chance that GR2 will be finished and worthy of play time. Fingers crossed.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

We've just updated the developer blog with the last in series of "Our Team" posts :) Not a lot of new information this time around, but work continues regardless! We're aiming to increase the frequency of subsequent developer blogs now, as we move towards Kickstarter :)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Already one month passed, where is the increase?
Gentlemens, start your engines!
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

RacerBG wrote:Already one month passed, where is the increase?
It was 5 months between March and August posts so one month isn't anything - little patience, please. ;)
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

I don't get why they are keeping the project so secret though! It takes 1 minute to write a post about what they are doing (2 lines of text would still be better than nothing) :) Pls developers <3
Signatures are overrated
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I agree with you, Darjo, for example the twitter account is saying so few new about what they are doing, just occasionally replying on questions and often by a rather empty phrase like we consider it, it's our priority, we're aiming for that, more details on that soon etc. No own thoughts, teasing, hinting, previewing ... it wouldn't hurt to say once per week smething like 'Kimmo works on design of new lamp'. Doesn't need to be even all 140 signs.

Example of how I imagine developers' twitter can work can be this one of one of modding teams of Medieval II: Total War game. Actually these guys were the motivation, why I decided to register at twitter to follow something/body.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

I said it before, they need someone specifically to do this publicity stuff if they would rather spend the time on the development
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

To be honest, I'm pretty doubtful they've done all that much work at all, in the last year (!) since the blog was created. If I'm wrong, it shouldn't be that hard to prove it...
Garbre
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Garbre »

We should be grateful they spend some of their freetime on stuff like this! :bg: Don't forget they have a life too! Also, game development is more of a "trial and error" kinda process. I agree with Bouncebackability, if some of us would undertake that job that would make it easier.
Always sign your every work in GR! Or use .txt files to inform us about ownership!
*My tracks* Contact me on garbregr1.2@gmail.com
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Garbre wrote:We should be grateful they spend some of their freetime on stuff like this! :bg: Don't forget they have a life too! Also, game development is more of a "trial and error" kinda process. I agree with Bouncebackability, if some of us would undertake that job that would make it easier.
In normal circumstances, I would agree. However... to me, at least, the fact that the Rabinas entrusted this team with the development of GR adds some level of expectations. Also, when you consider that they plan to eventually ask for money through Kickstarter... yes, I know they haven't yet, but they will certainly have to provide more transparency before they do.
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

I really didn´t want to post here because every word I say has been said numerous times before.
Maybe we should open a new thread in which people can b***h about missing updates and keep this one clean.
It reminds me too much of the LFS-Forum right now. Please keep in mind that they are not EA or Rockstar.

And if you´re waiting for new Generally-content: just create a track or a car! :shhh:
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

bduddy wrote:In normal circumstances, I would agree. However... to me, at least, the fact that the Rabinas entrusted this team with the development of GR adds some level of expectations. Also, when you consider that they plan to eventually ask for money through Kickstarter... yes, I know they haven't yet, but they will certainly have to provide more transparency before they do.
I'm with you on this one.

I don't want to say that it is taking a long time but from what I have gathered so far, (just) over a year has been spent on introducing what the new GeneRally will be like with very little focus on it's content/game play. Sure, some decisions have been made about where to take the game but there is still a lot of uncertainty and the information seems a little too cloudy to me and so infrequent that it is worrying. :ouch:

This doesn't mean I do not have faith in the development team, I'm just concerned that this much has been shown over a year. I don't feel like it will speed up. :vsad: I want to be proven wrong.
Scholl wrote:I really didn´t want to post here because every word I say has been said numerous times before.
Maybe we should open a new thread in which people can b***h about missing updates and keep this one clean.
It reminds me too much of the LFS-Forum right now. Please keep in mind that they are not EA or Rockstar.
This is kind of normal behaviour because of the expectation set and is sort of why I, like many others would like a little more detail into what is going on. Doesn't require much, just requires something more consistent.
Scholl wrote:And if you´re waiting for new Generally-content: just create a track or a car! :shhh:
I think the difference is we want some form of new content that is beyond user created such as changes to game play. I wouldn't mind an improved track editor but there's a bit of work in just creating something like that (I'm trying :doh: )
View my archived circuits/cars here
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Trigger Happy wrote:I agree with you, Darjo, for example the twitter account is saying so few new about what they are doing, just occasionally replying on questions and often by a rather empty phrase like we consider it, it's our priority, we're aiming for that, more details on that soon etc. No own thoughts, teasing, hinting, previewing ... it wouldn't hurt to say once per week smething like 'Kimmo works on design of new lamp'. Doesn't need to be even all 140 signs.

Example of how I imagine developers' twitter can work can be this one of one of modding teams of Medieval II: Total War game. Actually these guys were the motivation, why I decided to register at twitter to follow something/body.
Seems they heard you. :bg: