Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Developer Blog

Post by James »

As I'm sure you all know by now, Markku and I have been hard at work on the new sequel to GeneRally. We've already launched the GeneRally Player Survey (which had over 600 respondents), but now we're ready to start giving the community some real insight into the development process. Thank you to everyone who participated - the information has been invaluable! :bg:

So, today, we're launching the GeneRally Sequel Developer Blog, complete with it's very first post, to allow the community to track our progress. Whether you choose to visit the blog on a regular basis to read our updates, or subscribe to it via RSS, Twitter, Facebook or Google+, we hope you'll enjoy reading about the progress we're making.

Our first post is outlining our reasoning for and the vision behind the development of sequel, and we're hoping to get out a post every few weeks with some news (whether large or small) about our progress :)
RacerBG

Re: Developer Blog

Post by RacerBG »

Very nice, guys. Just one question: So it will be with donation only (like now) right? I mean that the game will be still free right?
Gentlemens, start your engines!
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

RacerBG wrote:Very nice, guys. Just one question: So it will be with donation only (like now) right? I mean that the game will be still free right?
The final version of the game will be free AFAIK.

BTW when do you plan to open an account at Kickstarter?
Paw

Post by Paw »

I'm hoping for some technical insight post :yummy: What programming language are you using, external libraries, solutions to problems, other software etc.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

LongBow wrote:The final version of the game will be free AFAIK.
The "pricing" of the release game (i.e. whether it's free or paid) is, as you say, completely separate from the Kickstarter funding. The Kickstarter is to fund the development, decisions about release will be made closer to that time. Of course, those supporting the development through Kickstarter will receive a copy of the game regardless of what other decisions are taken. At the moment, we're just focussing on getting the sequel made :bg:
Paw wrote:I'm hoping for some technical insight post :yummy: What programming language are you using, external libraries, solutions to problems, other software etc.
That's going to be a very big part of future developer blogs :) The first post was simply to outline our reasons and our plans, and subsequent posts will expand upon various areas of development :)
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Nice Developer Blog! I love how you showed the close-to-the-real-thing red softwall. I know it looks unfinished (it lacks white) IMO, but I'm looking forward to the next blog post!
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

LongBow wrote:
RacerBG wrote:Very nice, guys. Just one question: So it will be with donation only (like now) right? I mean that the game will be still free right?
The final version of the game will be free AFAIK.

BTW when do you plan to open an account at Kickstarter?
Where is this thing? :doh:
nielske
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by nielske »

Good to hear from you :) Really looking forward to future developments (...and being able to help to get you there)
// My old tracks (2003-2010) | My new tracks (2011-2012) //
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

RacerBG wrote:Where is this thing? :doh:
Where is what? Kickstarter?
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I'll be looking forward to new posts :).
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

LongBow wrote:
RacerBG wrote:Where is this thing? :doh:
Where is what? Kickstarter?
Yeah. :D
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Nobody said it's done already, so it nowhere is ATM.
felipebart

Post by felipebart »

Great! I was waiting for this blog since the update release!!! Thanks guys... Keep up the good job!
ab_dias

Post by ab_dias »

Generally deserve a sequel!!! Great to know that there are serious work being done!!!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I also have three questions. :) On blog etc is written:
... We have absolutely no desire to add to the large pile of mediocre arcade racers, nor do we have any aspirations to attempt to breach the ‘simulation’ market – we want to keep the Sequel firmly in the niche from which it has arisen. ...

... The Sequel must look and feel like GeneRally (including the simplistic art-style, recognisable physics, and stylised sound).
Existing GeneRally tracks should be usable within the Sequel (either directly, or by some method of conversion). ...
About the style, look and feel like GeneRally and distinction from ''large pile of mediocre arcade'' in relation to cars, will be kept one of the GR symbols, spheres instead of common style tyres/wheels?
Also when mentioned using of old tracks in sequel either directly or some conversion, what's situation about older cars? :yummy:
Finally, the soft wall on pic is from some dev. tool or directly early look in-game? Looks bit too mature to me ATM (by colours, design).
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Trigger Happy wrote:will be kept one of the GR symbols, spheres instead of common style tyres/wheels?
No news on this yet - it's still up for discussion. It'll largely depend on what happens when we start looking at cars for the sequel :)
Also when mentioned using of old tracks in sequel either directly or some conversion, what's situation about older cars? :yummy:
As above, we've not really focussed much on cars at the moment (as that's tied into the physics, damage, etc. as well) - hopefully we'll decide on this in the not-too-distant future.
Finally, the soft wall on pic is from some dev. tool or directly early look in-game? Looks bit too mature to me ATM (by colours, design).
It's a basic render from the modelling application, so nothing special :) There's still a good amount of work to do on it.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

James could you report progress via blog?
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Renzo Zorzi, Jules Bianchi... God please save my buddies... hope that more won't ever go away too fast
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

I've been waiting for an update on the new blog for too long!
SGroe

Post by SGroe »

jefcam wrote:I've been waiting for an update on the new blog for too long!
Well, there are regular updates at the Twitter account. Do you know about the blue tarmac and the limiter zones?? By the way, I like both features.
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Grrr, come on bitches, my eyes want to see something more there!!! :yummy:
I'm really happy about developer's decision to keep moving with this beautiful game, so I'm one of the players who is looking forward to all of the news too. I wish you a lot of great new ideas there. :bg:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

@Whiplash: That's inappropiate language, watch your tongue!
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

TuomoH wrote:@Whiplash: That's inappropiate language, watch your tongue!
Wooot? We are not kids. :talkth:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Actually, a lot of people here are under 18... it's also very inappropriate to address the people who work hard on the sequel in such a manner.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Whiplash wrote:Wooot? We are not kids. :talkth:
What Luke said.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

So..... Any news about progresing, Kickstarter is ready, ... , ?
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)