Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Areen

Re: Developer Blog

Post by Areen »

There will be no such thing as finished or even an alpha state of GR2.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

puttz wrote:Nope, there's been complete silence. Either they are doing their work in the dark now, or GR2 is just vaporware :worried:
Or even vaporwave.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Areen wrote:There will be no such thing as finished or even an alpha state of GR2.
You state that as if it's a proven fact even though it's your own speculation.
DanjelRicci

Post by DanjelRicci »

TuomoH wrote:
Areen wrote:There will be no such thing as finished or even an alpha state of GR2.
Well, from a game developer point of view, and given how things are gone for GR2, that's the most plausible case. I have seen quite a bunch of projects die that way, including one of my own, The Speed Fragment.
I too believe that GR2 will come out of the blue, from different developers, one lucky day. :D
Areen

Post by Areen »

TuomoH wrote:
With my experience, I'm 100% sure and it's a fact.
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

I agree with Areen.
I never believe in Generally 2. I have no idea why. Maybe intuition.
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Areen wrote:With my experience...
Oh no, don't even go there... :roll:
Areen wrote:
TuomoH wrote:
With my experience, I'm 100% sure and it's a fact.
Well, we've got 2 sentences:
A: GR2-related works are suspended and are very unlikely to be resumed.
B: There will never be a sequel.

I'd really like to see you making some kind of intellectual gymnastics to prove that A=>B. I don't think that this project will ever be finished either (which tbh doesn't really bother me as I was not too keen on it seeing how it was being developed), but you've surely missed your Logic classes. :rofl:
Last edited by Lorenzo on Sun May 01, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

I don't like what Lorenzo said above, but I have to agree with it. I am not convinced that in a forseeable future we're going to have a sequel. Or you know something we don't, Tuomo? :roll:
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

Tuomo isn't the only Admin. Maybe TH also knows something we don't. :shhh:
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
Marco

Post by Marco »

Guys, I know that for some, including myself, theese news (or the lack of news, more precisely) isn't cheering up, but I think that we shouldn't start debating again weather GR2 is still being developed or not :ouch: . It's up to the dev-team to make this decision. Also, Herbal and Robert, even if it's true that Tuomo or TH knows something about the situation of GR2, i think that James had his reasons why not tells us, even if it would be frustrating ;) .

Also I apologise if someone didn't like what I said :shy:
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

Sorry to break it to you, but IMO GR2 is no more.
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Founder of International GeneRally Racing League (IGRL) with zgr and Np2003.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
Buka

Post by Buka »

There is very interesting conversation on the matter in Rendy's facebook. Let the link be here, don't want to lose it.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Buka wrote:There is very interesting conversation on the matter in Rendy's facebook. Let the link be here, don't want to lose it.
To be fair, it's mostly some of us old timers being a little noisy. :scared:

Any news would be good news at this point.
View my archived circuits/cars here
Buka

Post by Buka »

Crowella wrote:To be fair, it's mostly some of us old timers being a little noisy. :scared:
I've read there some words about James which I agree with and which aren't appropriate for GRIF :taped:
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Crowella wrote: To be fair, it's mostly some of us old timers being a little noisy. :scared:

Any news would be good news at this point.
It's desperately needed I'm afraid :sorry:
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

It really is.

I think it has ultimately been the wrong move to say silence is golden and you only need to see how empty this place has come to understand why. I understand that at some point there may have been some things that needed to be hidden to show the project is going but giving no signs is always going to be read as no progress.

If the project was still going, I genuinely wish it was left in this community's hand to keep it strong. There are quite a lot of people in this community that are fantastic at creating content for particular elements of the game and dedicated a lot of time to understanding it. It makes no sense that the input for physics, for example, was left in the hands of someone else and not the car makers. The tracks outside the hands of the track makers. The input on what tools for making tracks and cars, being left out of those that have made valuable tools for the community.

Developing a game (properly,) isn't easy*, no two ways about it. It does require a substantial amount of time and effort. To say I'm not thankful for at least a demonstration of what GR2 isn't right, I am thankful for what has been shown. With that said, my wish is that the direction of GeneRally 2 is clearly defined. If the project cannot be continued, why isn't the torch passed on? How is it appropriate for there to be silence, denying a community of 10 years a sequel but essentially prevent it from being developed further.

I really wish there is an explanation soon.

*Source: Currently doing Computer Science and has a brother finishing Video Game design at University.
puttz

Post by puttz »

What's to say that members of the community couldn't band together and create a spiritual successor to GR? Perhaps it would have to have a different name for copyright reasons, but if there are enough community members that have skills to do what is needed, there is nothing stopping them. Sure, it might be difficult to pull together, but perhaps something like creating an open source version may be the way to go (OpenGR?) Just a thought, I know how difficult it would be to get something like that to materialize.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

puttz wrote:What's to say that members of the community couldn't band together and create a spiritual successor to GR? Perhaps it would have to have a different name for copyright reasons, but if there are enough community members that have skills to do what is needed, there is nothing stopping them. Sure, it might be difficult to pull together, but perhaps something like creating an open source version may be the way to go (OpenGR?) Just a thought, I know how difficult it would be to get something like that to materialize.
There is no reason it isn't possible and if anything, is more or less what I expected for GR2 considering the valuable input of everyone here.

I don't think anyone would be objecting to a name change to avoid copyright reasons. Open source is something to be careful about but there are specifics that everyone can look into.
Buka

Post by Buka »

puttz wrote:What's to say that members of the community couldn't band together and create a spiritual successor to GR? Perhaps it would have to have a different name for copyright reasons, but if there are enough community members that have skills to do what is needed, there is nothing stopping them. Sure, it might be difficult to pull together, but perhaps something like creating an open source version may be the way to go (OpenGR?) Just a thought, I know how difficult it would be to get something like that to materialize.
This would probably be the only possible solution to prevent GeneRally from dying.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

I'd agree on this one. Maybe, due to a circumstance you know (as in the Rabina's source code to be precise), it won't be a full-fledged GR 2, but in terms of a community-driven spirit, we can manage to pull it off nicely. We could always try this thing some time! I mean, why not? :D

Also, I seconded Buka's statement. No, everyone SECONDS Buka's statement! But the thing is, top down racers do have the lack of advertisement issues, which also happens to a major part of Turbo Sliders and (English community of) MiniRacingOnline. We might need all sorts of visibility boost to advertise top down games, GeneRally included of course!
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I think given we all know the formats of the files pretty well, we can approximate it or make it suit better (clearly being optimistic here) ;) I was content with the GR2 Demo's physics personally, even if I do prefer the more frantic sliding nature of GR.

I wouldn't worry too much about 2D racers being difficult. GeneRally is fun and addictive still. ;) Given this era of indie gaming too, it'd fit in if done right.
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

puttz wrote:What's to say that members of the community couldn't band together and create a spiritual successor to GR? Perhaps it would have to have a different name for copyright reasons
As far as I know, such efforts are being made at the moment - they are just not coming from or involve the community in what some people here refer to as an 'open source' project.

A bit of speculation:
Would a 'spiritual successor' save GeneRally from dying? I guess that a completely new game from external developers would be published on Steam and build up its own community. Everybody here can individually decide if he wants to be a part or not and maybe 'the GeneRally community' will be integrated into the new structure as some sort of minority group.
In reverse direction, I don't expect any positive effects on the GeneRally community and a 13 year old game. The new people will just play the new stuff. There might be a silent corner on some forum about the spiritual successor that deals with GeneRally but that's it.
Buka

Post by Buka »

RudyOosterndijk wrote:As far as I know, such efforts are being made at the moment - they are just not coming from or involve the community in what some people here refer to as an 'open source' project.
Oh good. Now we have two new generally's with no information about them. :D
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Buka wrote:
RudyOosterndijk wrote:As far as I know, such efforts are being made at the moment - they are just not coming from or involve the community in what some people here refer to as an 'open source' project.
Oh good. Now we have two new generally's with no information about them. :D
Oh Lord, we are not worthy... :mrgreen: Unfortunately there is not much more to say because I know virtually nothing.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

:hide: I hesitate to stick my head up over the parapet, but... we've actually got a blog post for you.

Hopefully that's a start towards reassuring folks that we're still going, just very, very slowly :)