Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Developer Blog

Post by James »

After a longer-than-we'd-hoped delay, the developer blog is back with a new post. Furthermore, we've updated our Contribute page with some more information in the form of an FAQ :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

On Contribute page wrote:Will you keep supporting the original GeneRally?

The short answer: no. The longer answer: we may maintain the original with one or two extra bug-fix releases between now and the launch of the Sequel, but it’s unlikely that active development will continue/resume, as we intend to focus our energy towards the Sequel.
Your intention to dedicate all energy and time to work on sequel sounds logical, but if you're not going to further develop original game, IMHO you should seriously consider for future (going since sequel is launched) passing original game's code to some other enough interested in and reasonably skilled person (like e.g. majortom), also trustworthy for you, with strict terms securing, that he won't be developing ''further'' the game (features etc), but will limit his actions to merely providing a quasi ''tech-support'', similarly like what occurred in time of GR1.05 vs Win7. Or to include one such person into your team for that purpose (if you'd want to keep it more under own control).
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Trigger Happy wrote:Your intention to dedicate all energy and time to work on sequel sounds logical, but if you're not going to further develop original game, IMHO you should seriously consider for future (going since sequel is launched) passing original game's code to some other enough interested in and reasonably skilled person (like e.g. majortom), also trustworthy for you, with strict terms securing, that he won't be developing ''further'' the game (features etc), but will limit his actions to merely providing a quasi ''tech-support'', similarly like what occurred in time of GR1.05 vs Win7. Or to include one such person into your team for that purpose (if you'd want to keep it more under own control).
To clarify that point, it's our intention to keep an eye on the use of the original, and to address any show-stopping bugs or issues that might arise - not to abandon it entirely. Rather, we'll not be developing new features and "improvements" for it any longer :) I'll tweak the wording on that point when I get a chance to better convey this.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Great to hear that, thanks for your explanation. :up:
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

That does not look bad at first glance, thumbs up :up:
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

DAT SCREENS! *amazedomgomgomg*

The sequel HAS to be awesome :D !
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Hmm. As good as it looks, is this game going to feel anything like GeneRally? I'll reserve judgement until I see more pictures. Good to see that the car situation IS being looked at, although I feel the answer is rather heavily in the realms of being a cop-out. There's no point me reiterating my view; I made it forcefully enough earlier in the thread, and that view remains totally unchanged.
puttz

Post by puttz »

That looks pretty cool from the screenshot. Only problem is, how will it look in the game's top-down view? And I also stand by my comments on the poly issue, there needs to be more than the original (40 really isn't enough) but 400 is too many, you don't need that much detail in a game like this.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

@up

60-80 polygons and I can make all cars.
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Come on, don't start the poly discussion again, people. :doh:

Thanks for the update. :)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

That's why I deliberately said I wasn't going to remake my old points xD Also, I am sort-of questioning whether GR 2.0 will be top-down, just based on the direction everything seems to be going.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

The picture is a demonstration of the shadows, it is not ''gameplay'' shot, I believe.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I know, but I'm not basing my comment on the picture. ;)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Well if that's a GR1 imported track, I have to say I have a bit more confidence in the engine. It appears pretty much how I would have expected the update.

Thank you for getting something up at least in the mean time.
View my archived circuits/cars here
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Good info in last blog post. Well done guys! :bg:
Just don't make us wait for the new one whole next year. :roll:
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

Thanks for the update guys. Your dedication is really impressive! :bg:
I can´t wait to throw my money at you! ;)
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Thanks for the update :). It looks well, I hope for classic top down screen next time though :D.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Well done for the blog post and awesome picture! It's very good that the polygons question is take in care but I have one question (your FAQ is good but not complete yet): Kickstarter, this is okay but after it the game will be free right? I can throw a few $ for the Kickstarter but I want a free game. I hope we have a deal. :)

Keep on working and can we have alpha test builds for testing? I think early community touch will be helpful after the main game engine is complete.
Gentlemens, start your engines!
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

RacerBG wrote:Kickstarter, this is okay but after it the game will be free right? I can throw a few $ for the Kickstarter but I want a free game. I hope we have a deal. :)
At the time, this constituted the entirety of the agreement between us – we would continue to develop GeneRally, and GeneRally would remain freeware.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

DuklaLiberec, not correct, this sentence quoted by you talks about GeneRally - understand GR1 - which will continue as freeware. However in relation of sequel the relevant following part is:
When we decided to start again from scratch for a Sequel, we got in touch with Hannu & Jukka to establish a licensing agreement, to safeguard both parties and ensure that use of the GeneRally name and existing file formats would be approved/legal. Whilst we can’t go into details about our agreement, rest assured that Hannu & Jukka are 100% behind the production of a Sequel, and will take a share of any profits made.
It doesn't say openly anything about status of sequel, but gives a hint, that future may involve at least hypothetically some elements, which under favourable circumstances may bring some financial profit to developers, which is OK for Rabinas as long as they share it with them by an agreed ratio. By whatever it may be reached - by price of game maybe, but maybe not - maybe DLCs, maybe perks sold to players? Or ads on related websites etc? I don't know now, it even may be just a generic legal back-up with no particular idea atm behind it (which I doubt personally, notice ''will take''). I hope we'll know more with start of kickstarter campaign.
puttz

Post by puttz »

:( The problem with this is that I think a lot of the community sees this as a freeware game, and apply the same to the sequel. I'm not sure, but it may drive some people away from the sequel if it is paid. It would probably depend of the pricing. Hopefully it'll only be a couple of dollars/euros if it is charged for.
EDIT: Although if it weren't free, I doubt that I personally would buy it. Pretty much every game that I play on my computer is either freeware or open source, I've only got a couple of commercial games. I don't really like spending money on games, so that's why.
Last edited by puttz on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I'm certainly reluctant to support a purely payed-for game. Now, if the devs want to add DLC (as long as it's sensible DLC) or want to give special perks to those who donate, that's fine.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I hardly can see the sequel ever being more than 5 €/$/£, and as huge fans of the original game I can't understand how paying that would be a problem for you. Besides, we don't know what the game will be like in the end.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Because GeneRally is, and always was, freeware. Changing that is literally as drastic as departing from the top-down viewpoint.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

So you're saying that James and Markku should get no compensation for the work they've done? I'd guess that at this point already more time has been put into the development of the sequel than ever was put into original GR. The Räbinä brothers made the original game on their spare time more like a hobby thing, whereas AFAIK James and Markku are at least planning to go full-time on this, although that's what the Kickstarter is for. With all the new features such as online gameplay, improved visuals and who knows what else, I think that a small price is more than justified. I understand why you wouldn't want to pay for it, and I respect that, but putting in the price of a McDonalds meal wouldn't be that bad for a game that potentially has as long or even longer life cycle as the original GR.

Anyway, I assume that pretty much everyone here is planning to donate money to the Kickstarter, and doing that will surely be repayed with a free copy of the sequel.