Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Developer Blog

Post by Trigger Happy »

Whiplash wrote:Seems they heard you. :bg:
:heyea:
I hope so. BTW if yes, then not only me, all of us. ;)

Keep up good work, guys! :up:
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

The twitter account has made the game sound closer to completion with three tweets in one day than their whole blog. Kudos to the team. :)
View my archived circuits/cars here
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

But only if all goes well :/ Hope do :misch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

Keep it up developers! :) Good job! Fantastic!

Thanks for the update Frukis!
Signatures are overrated
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

As promised, we've posted up a new developer blog complete with a small teaser/Kickstarter-announcement video :)

Whilst we know people have not been 100% content with the speed of updates in the past, as the past week or so has no doubt indicated, we're beginning to ramp that up now, and plan to keep this kind of pace going from now all the way through until release ;) We hope this has given you all a little confidence that there's more to our work so far than mere promises!
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

What could I say?

:wow:
Chairman of Lambda Motosports Cars
Lambda Motosports
Team Manager | Gzehoo on GWR

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
GeneRally Polska Discord Server
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Well, well, very nice! This is going into the right direction but when we will have open alpha or beta? Early testing from everyone will be good in terms of personal feedback about the game.

But anyway your way of developing for now is going very well. :)
Gentlemens, start your engines!
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Looks promising. I hope GR2 will receive more attention from the Indie Games community as soon as the Kickstarter campaign commences. I am looking forward to that.
SGroe

Post by SGroe »

Dear curious chickens! :D
Well done! It is great to see some pictures and video clips. I love those street lights.

Since GeneRally 2 will be a top-down game, is there also a top-down screenshot of the track shown in the clip??
puttz

Post by puttz »

Looking good :bg: I certainly intend to chip in a few bucks to the kickstarter campaign. It would be nice to be able to see how the game looks from the way it will be played (top down), but perhaps development hasn't progressed that far just yet. I'm really liking the railroad tracks, lamps, and the smoke coming out the top of the building. Looks very nice, as does the catchfencing and paddock buildings. Heck, it all looks good. It certainly still looks mostly like GR to me (except for the cars, but let's not go back to that topic).
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

@Sgroe: I think it's a (probably updated) version of Brunel Park by James Burgess.

Looking good so far (apart from the cars maybe), I'm excited for updates! :)
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

('o') :wow

That is one perfectly-put update. I can see GR2 going well, with those new objects and such, and with 10 cars as full grid, but I don't know if this is still temporary or it'll be 10 all the way... Looking forward for the next update!
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I think that a sub-forum for GR 2 should be created, at least when the Kickstarter starts.

I was hoping for Räbinä Games or some similar homage :mrgreen: but Curious Chicken is nice too. Looking great by the way :)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Sweet teaser. :D
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

RacerBG wrote:but when we will have open alpha or beta? Early testing from everyone will be good in terms of personal feedback about the game.
Closed alpha testing will begin in January, with a few testers we've already selected (but not yet notified :p) - it'll basically be ensuring that there are no obviously huge flaws, and allowing us to get feedback on some of the design choices (both in terms of visuals, and gameplay). Kickstarter will be the first opportunity for everyone else to get their hands on the sequel, as it'll be a perk of most of the funding tiers. After that... we haven't really made any decisions :)
puttz wrote:It would be nice to be able to see how the game looks from the way it will be played (top down), but perhaps development hasn't progressed that far just yet.
Originally wanted to have the teaser start from a top-down view, but we had a last minute issue with a couple of art assets, so had to just go for a 'ground level' shot this time around! Rest assured, lots of top-down action coming your way on the lead up to Kickstarter!
Rendy wrote:and with 10 cars as full grid, but I don't know if this is still temporary or it'll be 10 all the way...
This is an area we really want to be careful with - so we'll be gathering some feedback in the alpha testing as to how far we can increase it, whilst still retaining the core GeneRally "feel" (it's important we don't just spin off and create an entirely different game altogether, but keep it as a true successor).
Several People wrote:"the cars"
As mentioned in yesterday's post, we'll have an upcoming blog about this and about the other avenues and poly-counts we've explored since that infamous first car render ;) We took a good hard look at the options, and believe we've come up with a reasonable reduction that should keep car-makers happy, whilst not making the cars look out-of-place or "inferior" to the other visuals. Should be an interesting blog, Kimmo's been hard at work coming up with a boatload of different options :) It's interesting to see the reaction to the video on this topic, actually, as the cars model shown there isn't the same one as in the initial render, but is actually quite a sizeable reduction in polies.

We're aiming to increase the cadence on the developer blog updates now (with our goal being weekly/every-other-week), so there'll be a lot more content to digest very soon. This is our intention, but please don't bite our arms off if we aren't exactly every 14 days :D
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I cannot wait for more info to find out, what's undone, why you, guys, need any kickstarter campaign at all. That much good the stuff in the pre-alfa video already looks like! :up:
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

We've posted a new developer blog this morning, with some more details about Kickstarter (why we chose January, and why we're using Kickstarter at all) :)

Please don't forget to share and like/retweet/+1 on your favourite social websites... we'll really need all the support and interest we can muster come January!
Spacethingy

Post by Spacethingy »

Ah, thank you for sympathetically explaining why it's time to move on in terms of development. I was always kind of confused why these features couldn't be added - they are going to be, just not in the existing v1.2 code. I like the "hope it doesn't fall apart bit". :D

This looks dead cool - obviously Generally, yet with pretty graphics. *shadows, wooo!* My only slight concern is the (nice-looking, I should say!) little details like the A/C system on the towers - are there going to be simple block objects like those used now to put together big complex objects?
Glen

Post by Glen »

did I miss something?
This looks realy nice! TOP work guy's!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Good stuff in that blog. It was a wise decision to switch to Unity, as it is pretty much the best 3D engine for small teams currently. Is the importing of tracks and cars as simple as it is now, though? I can't remember any Unity based game of the top of my head that allowed simple and easy user modification.

Also, I hope you'll put a realistic goal for the Kickstarter, as we've seen multiple KS projects which have put a way too low goal and then have failed to finish the project with just that funding. Also, what will happen if the goal is not met? Will you try it again in something like Indiegogo, so at least some of the money get through? (Ok this is propably more relevant after we've seen the KS results. :P)

And a minor nitpick, which I'm sure will be fixed anyway, is that the game/renders are too dark and would require some higher gamma settings.

Also, now that you have the built-in physics engine from Unity, will you be using that for your benefit in, eg. some movable objects, or will everything be solid?
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Spacethingy wrote: My only slight concern is the (nice-looking, I should say!) little details like the A/C system on the towers - are there going to be simple block objects like those used now to put together big complex objects?
Yeah, the more explicit and detailed the object are, the less compatible with each other and with other types of objects and the faster the trackmaking for the game will become boring. Trackmaking in GR remained fun for all the 10 years mainly for the reason, how concrete walls, posts, office blocks, booths, lights, gates or sunk tyres were so nicely complementary to each other in colours, shapes etc. (regardless if it was or wasn't originally an intention of R. bros).

Making more types of objects is not IMHO an option really solving it, because it's not stimulating creativity in object use as well as GR1 does (still shorter path to become boring) and because with too many objects of same nature (e.g. more than 2-3 types of a light post) the tracks will loose the common visual link joining them like now (very GR-sh characteristic, must-be too).

And also with too many objects the tracks may end like a mess easily - I think already now we are in GR1 very near to the border of amount of object types, when I consider that the area for use remains same (screen where whole track is visible at once).

I guess Kimmo would like to do opposite - to use his all skill, creativity and opportunities given by engine to make many as beautiful detailed objects, but I hope you, James, will be really careful and manage to keep it in some reasonable borders, I'd agree with Spacethingy, the A/C system seems to be already quite over the top. :scratch:
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Trigger Happy wrote:...with too many objects the tracks may end like a mess easily - I think already now we are in GR1 very near to the border of amount of object types, when I consider that the area for use remains same (screen where whole track is visible at once).

I guess Kimmo would like to do opposite - to use his all skill, creativity and opportunities given by engine to make many as beautiful detailed objects, but I hope you, James, will be really careful and manage to keep it in some reasonable borders, I'd agree with Spacethingy, the A/C system seems to be already quite over the top. :scratch:
I'm the one who thinks the opposite. I see nothing specially creative about putting a white blocks to pretend it's a building. More unique and varied objects = better. So, Kimmo, do your job son. :bg:
puttz

Post by puttz »

Nice update :bg: Glad to see there is good progress being made. I, as 1sane said, hope that adding custom stuff will be just as easy in GR2 as it was in GR 1. Just simply drop the files into the folder, no funky utilities or anything required.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Whiplash wrote:I'm the one who thinks the opposite. I see nothing specially creative about putting a white blocks to pretend it's a building. More unique and varied objects = better. So, Kimmo, do your job son. :bg:
What TH means is that complicated objects may make it difficult for track makers to experiment with objects and get their desired result. For example, round buildings are in quite a few tracks at the moment, which are done by simply placing a lot of buildings in the same spot, each just rotated slightly differently. Part of the reason objects work well in GR at the moment is the lack of details in the current objects. Buildings are just white/blue blocks with no other details. If you start adding things in like AC vents, window frames, you'll find that it may not work as well and you'll have to stick with the object by itself rather than make something of it.

Not saying that it will be impossible to do in the next version and I'm certain this is a thought that the developers have taken into consideration but part of what makes GR special is those little tricks that make the current tracks what they are, may not translate well into the future game meaning that there could be a lot of work ahead for track makers. I will most likely be editing/remaking a lot of my circuits when the new version is released because there are things that I would like to add that the new version has to offer such as possibly larger grids and lighting but I'd rather not go through the stress of not being able to replicate what I can already do. I'm excited none the less so bring on next year. :bg:
1nsane wrote:Good stuff in that blog. It was a wise decision to switch to Unity, as it is pretty much the best 3D engine for small teams currently. Is the importing of tracks and cars as simple as it is now, though? I can't remember any Unity based game of the top of my head that allowed simple and easy user modification.
Going from my knowledge of programming (limited at best) and what I've seen, if for example, that circuit in Unity is read from a file, there will be a way to edit it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 3D editor or edited in Unity, it'll probably be very similar to the current format meaning that even if there aren't the tools, someone will be able to come up with something.
View my archived circuits/cars here
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Long post incoming :p
1nsane wrote:Good stuff in that blog. It was a wise decision to switch to Unity, as it is pretty much the best 3D engine for small teams currently. Is the importing of tracks and cars as simple as it is now, though? I can't remember any Unity based game of the top of my head that allowed simple and easy user modification.
Yup, perfectly straightforward - the terrain is generated from our own track format which contains the heightmap, landmap, etc. At the end of the day, Unity is just an engine, what we do with it is entirely up to us (by-and-large) :)
Also, I hope you'll put a realistic goal for the Kickstarter, as we've seen multiple KS projects which have put a way too low goal and then have failed to finish the project with just that funding. Also, what will happen if the goal is not met? Will you try it again in something like Indiegogo, so at least some of the money get through? (Ok this is propably more relevant after we've seen the KS results. :P)
The goal is going to be reasonable, to take into account taxation, Kickstarter fees, reward fulfilment, etc. - so we'll be sure to cover the actual costs, not just the perceived ones :) If we don't meet KS, we'll have to look into other avenues to go down - but we're hoping we don't have to think about that too much ;)
And a minor nitpick, which I'm sure will be fixed anyway, is that the game/renders are too dark and would require some higher gamma settings.
Due to me not being abundantly happy with the "mid-day" lighting yet, most of these recent shots are taken at sunrise/sunset, so it won't be an issue going forward :) Also, sunset/sunrise is the perfect time to show off shadowing and lighting!
Also, now that you have the built-in physics engine from Unity, will you be using that for your benefit in, eg. some movable objects, or will everything be solid?
Certain objects will be subject to some nice physics... you'll be wanting to place a lot of cones and hay bales in the TE, I feel ;)
Trigger Happy wrote:Yeah, the more explicit and detailed the object are, the less compatible with each other and with other types of objects and the faster the trackmaking for the game will become boring. [...] Making more types of objects is not IMHO an option really solving it, because it's not stimulating creativity in object use as well as GR1 does [...]
We're being very, very careful in the detail levels, and the numbers of objects we're providing. The limited object selection, and simple 'style' are defining factors of GR, and ones we're not going to lose. Obviously, there will be small improvements (like the AC units), but only ones that we feel don't take away from that fundamentally simple design approach. From our perspective, little additions like the AC units are ways to improve the visual fidelity, without changing the fundamental style (having a couple of extra small features atop the building is far preferable to modelling and texturing extensive building detail). On the other hand, leaving just a striped cube in the Sequel would look incredibly out of place. It's a tough balance to strike, but we're confident we'll be able to achieve it :)
I guess Kimmo would like to do opposite [...]
Far from it, but I guess he's more qualified to talk about that ;) Kimmo has been superb in his approach to creating new assets for the Sequel - constantly refining ideas, constantly trying new things... some of the objects have been redone many, many times to reach their current iterations. There'll be some insight into this with the next blog post about the cars :)
puttz wrote:I, as 1sane said, hope that adding custom stuff will be just as easy in GR2 as it was in GR 1. Just simply drop the files into the folder, no funky utilities or anything required.
As before, tracks will be a single file, as will cars - drop 'em in the folder and go :)
Crowella wrote: Part of the reason objects work well in GR at the moment is the lack of details in the current objects. Buildings are just white/blue blocks with no other details. If you start adding things in like AC vents, window frames, you'll find that it may not work as well and you'll have to stick with the object by itself rather than make something of it.
If you look back through GR history, many of the early tracks didn't use objects in this manner at all - simply because no-one had come up with the idea, and no-one had experimented. I think it will be the same with the Sequel: the great folks of this community will work out how to make awesome things with the new objects :)
[...] part of what makes GR special is those little tricks that make the current tracks what they are, may not translate well into the future game meaning that there could be a lot of work ahead for track makers [...]
I think we can definitely consider providing some options to preserve existing tracks more faithfully. I'll have a chat with Kimmo and Markku, to see if they think it would be viable to do that, and if we can come up with some ideas for it. There's one approach tentatively on our 'hmm, would this work?'-list, that might require a bit more investigation :) Rest assured, this is something that's really important to us.