GeneRally 2 - Kickstarter Launched

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GeneRally 2 - Kickstarter Launched

Post by Black Rebel »

I don´t know guys, it is a bit annoying to see how most of the opinions shared here are just based in personal opinions. Whatever happened, either it was right or wrong, I think we are not doing the right thing only comentating with emphasy in that direction. Patience, and let´s encourage the project!
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Is it possible to prolong the kickstarter campaign by another 15 - 30 days?
PacmanOwnage

Post by PacmanOwnage »

I've been a part of many Kickstarter projects, and things can turn on a pin point, and the majority of funding does happen in the first few days, and the last few... so it's still certainly possible.

I was unsure whether the goal would be met at the start regardless of how popular Generally is, or isn't anymore, that's a lot of money to raise for any game. Regardless, it's been a good start, and with a little bit more positivity we might just make it.

Even if we don't, lessons have been learned, and plenty of Kickstarters have had more than one bite at the cherry to varying degrees of success, so it could be relaunched with a better understanding of Kickstarter, and Generally 2's promotion in general.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Well, as promised, we worked our tails off and have posted an update on Kickstarter, a developer blog post and a new version of the GR2 KS build which includes the first iteration of our AI drivers. The webplayer isn't yet updated due to a small issue that's getting resolved now :)
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

Great Job guys!
The AI is working really good already. It´s really fun to race them.
Makkus Post is also very good and I´m sure there´s a lot to look forward to.

Considering the KS campaign: I think it´s far too early to stick our heads in the sand.
Generallys strenghts has always been the community. So we should all do our best in spreading the word.
FB, Twitter, Reddit, Imgur, etc..
The word has to be spread. It´s not only the developers job to get this done.
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

AI works well so far, will be great to see how the added 'intelligence' will pan out.

As for Kickstarter I think a big push around the end of the month (which is pay day for a lot of people) is badly needed. If every new contributor went for the £8 digital copy of the game then the project still needs over 1,800 new backers.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Also, for those of you having performance issues, we're working further on performance, but for now, please do consider dropping the dynamic shadow level down a little bit in the options, as it's currently about 60% of the system load for the game in total ;)
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

No problems here... AI works great ... from what has been done so far these are the 3 thing I would fix/improve:

1. Better handling of cars.
2. Make the round light around the cars to spot them an option. (Personally I prefer leave it realistic without that round spot and leave the car with just the head lamps).
3. Remove the slight drop of cars during start. (again something which does not happen in real life racing)
puttz

Post by puttz »

I can already see some performance improvements from the initial build. Good work :bg: The only thing that bugs me is that it seems the lmap texture quality gets worse on lower graphics settings. Is there a reason for that? I would hope that it won't be like that in the actual game, because if the lmaps work the same way they did in GR1 I see no reason for the texture quality to be worse on lower graphics settings.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

puttz wrote:The only thing that bugs me is that it seems the lmap texture quality gets worse on lower graphics settings. Is there a reason for that?
That's a bug - I'll put it on the "to fix" list, cheers :bg:
Glen

Post by Glen »

:) I accidently pressed Shift while driving and had a nice surprise !!
puttz

Post by puttz »

James wrote:
puttz wrote:The only thing that bugs me is that it seems the lmap texture quality gets worse on lower graphics settings. Is there a reason for that?
That's a bug - I'll put it on the "to fix" list, cheers :bg:
Ah, good, I was hoping that was the case :D I'd hate for the lmaps to look worse than the GR1 lmaps :shock:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
duck

Post by duck »

The car tends to skid back a bit when you press the accelerator, is that supposed to happen?

Also a couple of the monster trucks flipped over during the race and couldn't flip back up again.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

duck wrote:The car tends to skid back a bit when you press the accelerator, is that supposed to happen?

Also a couple of the monster trucks flipped over during the race and couldn't flip back up again.
Both added to the fix list, thanks :bg:

Edit: Markku tells me the monster truck flipping problem is already fixed - but didn't make it in time for the testing deadline for the latest build... it should be fixed in the next one :)
puttz

Post by puttz »

Looks like we won't meet the goal :( That's too bad, maybe in a couple of months you can try again with a better publicity campaign ready to go. And maybe you can rethink some of the feature sets (like *cough* number of cars in the free version), or come up with a couple additional pay things that .
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

^ I think there should be at least 22 or more cars allowed. People will want to have their full scale F1 races, and you could always choose less cars.

Free version being restricted isn't that big of a deal, people will just pirate the full version if they don't have the money.
Rampage.
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

puttz wrote:Looks like we won't meet the goal :( That's too bad, maybe in a couple of months you can try again with a better publicity campaign ready to go. And maybe you can rethink some of the feature sets (like *cough* number of cars in the free version), or come up with a couple additional pay things that .
How is adding more cars to the free version going to help the team raise money for development?
Areen

Post by Areen »

tonyyeb wrote:How is adding more cars to the free version going to help the team raise money for development?
Basic rule: better product = more funds.
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Areen wrote:
tonyyeb wrote:How is adding more cars to the free version going to help the team raise money for development?
Basic rule: better product = more funds.
People only use free version = No funds.
puttz

Post by puttz »

I'm not saying it needs to be the same number of cars, but at least more than 6 would be nice. But people would still have to contribute to the funding if they even want to see the free version. The better the product they show, the more likely people are to back it. I'd like to know what exactly is going on, we haven't heard anything from the dev team since the last update. I thought there were supposed to be more updates coming. This lack of PR stuff and visible effort does not exactly inspire confidence. Not that I'm saying there isn't effort going on from the devs, we just aren't seeing any of it.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

puttz wrote:Looks like we won't meet the goal :( That's too bad, maybe in a couple of months you can try again with a better publicity campaign ready to go. And maybe you can rethink some of the feature sets (like *cough* number of cars in the free version), or come up with a couple additional pay things that .
To be honest, I think you should consider what the priorities of each feature are.
James said that they are working to get rid of the bugs and improving the overall gaming experience, so that seems to be the most important thing right now.
I think that a lot of people (me for example) don't really give much importance to the number of cars, so that's why the developers worked towards implementing other features during this time.
Signatures are overrated
Bird

Post by Bird »

Darjo wrote:James said that they are working to get rid of the bugs and improving the overall gaming experience, so that seems to be the most important thing right now.
I also hope that the performance of the game will be improved first. I can't play the game at all, because my netbook with 1,6GHz processor and 1GB RAM is too weak. I heard from other people from the forum that they have also problems with the performance. Maybe it was too early for the kickstarter campaign?
Supporter of Windows 98
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Darjo wrote:
To be honest, I think you should consider what the priorities of each feature are.
James said that they are working to get rid of the bugs and improving the overall gaming experience, so that seems to be the most important thing right now.
I think that a lot of people (me for example) don't really give much importance to the number of cars, so that's why the developers worked towards implementing other features during this time.
Quite frankly, during a Kickstarter, showing off new and interesting features should be the priority. Bugs can always be fixed later...
I like short, simple signatures!
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

bduddy wrote:new and interesting features should be the priority.
Didn't know GR2 had those
Rampage.
kuba

Post by kuba »

maybe it's worth to ask this guy: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/32 ... tato-salad how to make successful KS campaign?