GeneRally 2 - Kickstarter Launched

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GeneRally 2 - Kickstarter Launched

Post by Black Rebel »

I think it is a question of time, so my question to James would be: Would it be possible to implement the Kickstarter camapign period a bit longer??? I think one or two extra months would put the campaign closer of the goal, and in the meanwhile you would be able to show more new features.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Please don't give up guys...
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Mad Dan wrote:Please don't give up guys...
This!! Whatever the reasons for not achieving the Kickstarter goal, please keep up the great work for what will undoubtedly be an amazing sequel to an amazing game!
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

puttz wrote:I'd like to know what exactly is going on, we haven't heard anything from the dev team since the last update. I thought there were supposed to be more updates coming. This lack of PR stuff and visible effort does not exactly inspire confidence. Not that I'm saying there isn't effort going on from the devs, we just aren't seeing any of it.
At this point, I can't be any more honest than by saying this: I'd love to tell you why we haven't had more updates published. Markku and myself have been working flat out on updates, and there are huge chunks of work that have been done since the last update (new suspension system to fix some handling issues, updated terrain performance, visual improvements, and much more) - but there's a step between that and publishing updates that's causing us no end of issues (issues we haven't had in the entire development process up until KS). We've been sat on some of these updates for nearly 3 weeks now and we're as upset by this lack of updates as you are (probably even more so, as we can see the improvements we've made that we've not been able to get into your hands). We're under no illusions, this has almost certainly caused us to fail Kickstarter (though I always hold out hope for a miracle) - and we're absolutely gutted that we haven't been able to follow our huge update schedule (there were supposed to be 7 or 8 game updates, including extra videos, etc. by this point).

I know it's not much to go on, and I know it's not as much information as folks would like right now - but I'd at least like to believe we've earned enough trust around here for folks to understand we're not just sitting on our hands expecting things to magically happen.
Black Rebel wrote:Would it be possible to implement the Kickstarter camapign period a bit longer???
Kickstarter campaigns cannot, unfortunately, be scaled in length once they've begun. We do have a plan for going forward, though :)
Mad Dan wrote:Please don't give up guys...
Never give up :goodvibes: GR2 is something we're doing for fun (contrary to what some folks would seem to believe) :bg: If we don't raise the funds to achieve GR2 in the proposed format, we're ready to look down other avenues to ensure development keeps going and GR2 becomes a reality :) For us, the development is the fun part, and something we greatly enjoy doing in our spare time. Fundraising is just the stressful, "necessary evil" as far as we're concerned.
marass

Post by marass »

Well I wanted to pledge right now, but I forget to set up card for internet transactions and now I have to wait to morning at least. But I now see, how Kickstarter works, so probably I won´t do anything. (I am busy in morning, because of summer job) You know,.. it will be taken down from card, if fundation is successful and it does not seem that we will made it :(
Martin B. - CZRT racer
Best Czech rookie in January 2014
Last tracks: SnowHill [stc], part of JEA 24 [ral], Ruta [cir]
Last misc.: Wacky wheels sounds
WIP: Ingliston [rwl] [cir] (5%), AirChaos [cir] [tpk?] [ovl]
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

I still wanted to ask if the community can do anything to help with GR 2, because I think that there would be a lot of people who are just itching to help you guys with the project.
Signatures are overrated
puttz

Post by puttz »

James wrote:
puttz wrote:I'd like to know what exactly is going on, we haven't heard anything from the dev team since the last update. I thought there were supposed to be more updates coming. This lack of PR stuff and visible effort does not exactly inspire confidence. Not that I'm saying there isn't effort going on from the devs, we just aren't seeing any of it.
At this point, I can't be any more honest than by saying this: I'd love to tell you why we haven't had more updates published. Markku and myself have been working flat out on updates, and there are huge chunks of work that have been done since the last update (new suspension system to fix some handling issues, updated terrain performance, visual improvements, and much more) - but there's a step between that and publishing updates that's causing us no end of issues (issues we haven't had in the entire development process up until KS). We've been sat on some of these updates for nearly 3 weeks now and we're as upset by this lack of updates as you are (probably even more so, as we can see the improvements we've made that we've not been able to get into your hands). We're under no illusions, this has almost certainly caused us to fail Kickstarter (though I always hold out hope for a miracle) - and we're absolutely gutted that we haven't been able to follow our huge update schedule (there were supposed to be 7 or 8 game updates, including extra videos, etc. by this point).

I know it's not much to go on, and I know it's not as much information as folks would like right now - but I'd at least like to believe we've earned enough trust around here for folks to understand we're not just sitting on our hands expecting things to magically happen.
Fair enough, but it would be nice to know what the problem is that isn't allowing you to push updates, or at the very least post updates on the forum and/or blog letting us know that you are having such issues instead of the total silence we are getting right now. Just a friendly tip :)
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

Like others said, my main suggestion for the future is to keep fans updated (even if there is nothing really going on) and in general listening to and interacting with the fanbase.

Actually I think you should let more people be involved in the whole testing process, there are a lot of people wanting to help and right now you are saying screw you to them.

Hell, just start selling the game already and let all buyers give their helping hands while keeping them frequently updated and let the game shape up that way. This is how, for example, Minecraft started out.
Rampage.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I'm just wondering what kind of issue could possibly prevent you from either updating the game or even telling us what it is. Perhaps a miracle is all you can hope for at this point, and maybe you wouldn't have made it anyway, but I'm sure the developers must understand that it's hard for people to invest without, at the very least, an explanation for the lack of activity.
I like short, simple signatures!
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Hangman wrote:there are a lot of people wanting to help and right now you are saying screw you to them.
Hangman, you have said one right thing and one wrong thing. Right thing is in fact there has to be a lot of people willing to help, and it is not right, it is wrong to say they are saying "screw you" to that people. It is not fair.

They possibly know each other well, every member in the current team is possibly doing his part of the job perfectly well and they are confident with each other. So if they gently decline a helping hand offer is because they trully don´t need any more help. Otherwise, they would value their needs and contact whoever is available and capable to help.
bduddy wrote:I'm just wondering what kind of issue could possibly prevent you from either updating the game or even telling us what it is. Perhaps a miracle is all you can hope for at this point, and maybe you wouldn't have made it anyway, but I'm sure the developers must understand that it's hard for people to invest without, at the very least, an explanation for the lack of activity.
I agree that lack of activity or updates (and I am not meaning sftware/demo updates, but blog updates) is not helping in the kickstarter process. But James already told that they have further plans for funding the project after the kickstarter is finished, and I will stick to that as I am sure they will bring more and more details or updates as the game gets more progress.

A friendly tip from me to the community would be: keep your mind positive, be patient and help as much as you can, even if it is funding the project. After all, the guys behind the scene are hardcore Generally community members, and have been for years, so we can only expect a really good sequel for GR.

Be cosntructive!
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

It's a pity we failed the kickstarter campaign. As someone mentioned al we needed is just another month or two and slowly slowly we could reach the 20,000 target.

Now that the kickstarter campaign failed what will happen? the money allocated will be lost and not invested in the development of the game? Any other alternative to collect money..maybe you create a paypal account and people put money in this account, and the dev team updates us with the figure collected.

As James know i've tried to contact Shaun Cole from thesimpit.com but Cannot understand what happened the information seems never to pass from the dev team to shaun. Shaun Cole has many followers expecially in the state and worldwide as well, and that advertisement would surely gave a big push forward. I really feel sorry that my efforts did not gave any fruit.

Just one last curiosity. In update 4 it was mentioned an update for Genrally 1. I'm really curious what this update was!

Jeffrey

ps well said Black Rebel...
puttz

Post by puttz »

Jefcam, I think the "free upgrade to Generally 1" metioned was the free version of GR2. So, does that mean there will not be a free version of GR2 since the Kickstarter failed?
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

I don't think there should be a free version at all. Maybe a seriously cut down demo could be available. But with all the hard work and no revenue from adverts or in-game purchases like a lot of free games on mobile for example, I don't see why the developers should go unrewarded for this.
puttz

Post by puttz »

That's not what GeneRally is supposed to be, GeneRally must have a free version imo. I grant that the developers could provide a premium version with some bonus features for a small amount of money. But I think the only reason GR1 is as popular as it is and still going strong, and the community is gaining new members, is because GR1 is a free game. There should be something of the same for GR2. And there certainly should not be in-game purchases or advertisements for GR2, in game purchases make no sense with the open modding system that GR is known for, and ads are just annoying.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

So everybody uses the free version and the developers get zero reward for their hard work? If the game is loved that much then every player should want to show their appreciation to the team. It is only £8 for heavens sake!!
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Here is an interesting point. Yes it is only £8 and I have no problem with the price, but I thought I would try and do a little promotion of the kickstarter project and I realised that this new price means GeneRally 2 has lost some of its identity. I couldn't get some racing game websites to promote it as they focus on simulations, not top down arcades, and I couldnt get freeware sites to promote it as, even though there would be a free version, some costs are involved.

I found GeneRally 1 because I was looking for free software. The GR2 dev team will need to find a way to promote the £8 game when its stuck in a very lonely middle ground between the sims and freeware.
puttz

Post by puttz »

tonyyeb wrote:So everybody uses the free version and the developers get zero reward for their hard work? If the game is loved that much then every player should want to show their appreciation to the team. It is only £8 for heavens sake!!
Not saying I wouldn't buy the pay version, just saying that having a free version that is very similar to GR1 would draw people in, then they might say "yeah, I'd like online multiplayer and better tools to make my mods" and voila! You now have another paying user.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

I think they give uś free version, very cutted, but free. GR1 is free and it's one of the best advantage. So, I think if they won't give free version the spirit of the GeneRally would be aggrieved a little. Also if they release free version, someone maybe'll see "oh, nice game!" and if will se that payable version have more features, maybe will buy it.
ALL TRACKS
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Let's be honest, how many people outside of this community are going to pay £8, or really any amount of money, for a game like GR2? Without a free demo, that number will be almost zero. With a demo, it at least has a chance of being significant, assuming the demo is good (better than it is now...)
I like short, simple signatures!
Glen

Post by Glen »

Free version has to bet promoted, payed version is for those who want to support are play online
Areen

Post by Areen »

Glen wrote:Free version has to bet promoted, payed version is for those who want to support are play online
Nuff said.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Areen wrote:
Glen wrote:Free version has to bet promoted, payed version is for those who want to support are play online
Nuff said.
Yup, that and get a few bonus features (editors and compo goodies), which will probably mostly be those who already play GR1.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Glen

Post by Glen »

Bouncebackability's opened my eyes, I hope it will for all of us
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Truly free games (no adverts, no in-game purchases etc) just don't exist anymore. I stand by my opinion that yes there should be a free demo with some big limitations so that IF people like the game they can buy the full version. If you make the demo too feature rich they will never buy the full game, a bit like the FIFA Street demo on PS3/Xbox; it was just enough for most people to have a laugh with and so the full game sold badly.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

bduddy wrote:Let's be honest, how many people outside of this community are going to pay £8, or really any amount of money, for a game like GR2?
Some yes, considering one James' side note in this thread earlier about comparison of community/native KS support gained in a moment.

Btw I'd not overestimate it, but also better timing may help a little, June/July aren't months, when interest about gaming is on peak.

From posts above I can understand that it was supposed to look somewhat differently than happened. Frankly to say, in the beginning of the campaign I wasn't very optimistic about its success, but now a month later I'm pretty sure, that if they'll try again (with better timing, improved demo and with updating/PR pace like intended), this goal is very possible.