GeneRally 2 - Kickstarter Launched

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GeneRally 2 - Kickstarter Launched

Post by James »

Glen wrote:Is it a mistake?
You're quite right, that's a mistake (also on the Car tier) - unfortunately not one I'm able to correct, as KS locks down the descriptions/postage costs as soon as a tier is purchased. I will, however, attempt to notify everyone who adds postage on that tier that they don't need to do so, so they can adjust their pledge accordingly ;) If you're thinking of contributing at that tier, simply fund £75 and ignore the postage comment (though, of course, if you'd rather give £85, who am I to say no? :D )!

Have got in touch with Kickstarter to see if they can remove that notice for us, on those tiers specifically - thanks for the heads up :)
puttz wrote:Just wondering, why hide what some of your stretch goals are? Why not give an incentive to give even more to get those features in the game? Just curious.
Two reasons here, neither of them particularly good reasons - but reasons nonetheless:
  1. We haven't committed fully to what they are (as, even though I'd like to say I'm that optimistic, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we even reach the first stretch goal)
  2. It seems somewhat counter-productive if they are listed as stretch goals and, at some point down the road, we want to offer them to both versions of GR2 (as, remember, the stretch goals are to get those features at launch), we'd just end up with complaints about having advertised during KS that they'd be backer-only ;)
If we get within a reasonable striking distance of them, we'll definitely reveal them though :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

:bowdown: in front of the guy, who backed the project by the 800 pounds (or more) option. :shock:
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

:jawdrop:

Wow whoever that is, its an incredible contribution, I didn't expect anyone to go for it if I'm honest.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Trigger Happy wrote::bowdown: in front of the guy, who backed the project by the 800 pounds (or more) option. :shock:
I would do it myself if I had the money right now, honestly. In themeantime, yeah I think he deserves that... :bowdown:
marass

Post by marass »

Yaay men, to bad that I do not have money now :scared: I wanted to donate you for sure, but unfortunately, I can not. Maybe in August it will get possible (because of summer job, if I get it). James, it is possible to donate later? I can not make it in 28 days, unfortunately. :vsad:
But, for sure :bowdown: for everybody who already donated, or they want to donate later. I was surprised! that you have now 3,333 pounds!
Martin B. - CZRT racer
Best Czech rookie in January 2014
Last tracks: SnowHill [stc], part of JEA 24 [ral], Ruta [cir]
Last misc.: Wacky wheels sounds
WIP: Ingliston [rwl] [cir] (5%), AirChaos [cir] [tpk?] [ovl]
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

A couple of questions maybe you can answer James.

1- Will GR2 support multiclass races? I mean, will there be a chance to see two diferent final standings depending on the class? It would be great now there will be 12 cars on track.

2- Will it be possible to donate later after the Kickstart campaign is over?
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Trigger Happy wrote: :bowdown: in front of the guy, who backed the project by the 800 pounds (or more) option. :shock:
I nearly fell off my chair when that one came by. Whoever you are, if you're reading this, a massive thank you :D
marass wrote:James, it is possible to donate later? I can not make it in 28 days, unfortunately.
If Kickstarter is successful, GR2 will be available to purchase at release for anyone who didn't get it during Kickstarter - that much is fairly set in stone.

However, other things (such as alpha & beta access, T-shirts, etc.) may not be available afterwards. Depending on how the limited tiers sell, it's possible we might follow in the footsteps of other campaigns, and offer the remaining limited tiers for a premium after the campaign is successful - but that's certainly not something I can say for certain, and it's not something we've properly discussed yet.

If you want to guarantee what you see as rewards on the Kickstarter page, the only 'safe' option I can think of is to ask a friend or family member to contribute for you and then pay them back later. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that :(
Black Rebel wrote:1- Will GR2 support multiclass races? I mean, will there be a chance to see two diferent final standings depending on the class? It would be great now there will be 12 cars on track.
As mentioned in the other thread - it's not something we'd considered, but it's now on our "features to consider" list!
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

Please permit me to ask you some questions. What should I concretely do? I live in the east end.. :nippon: I read "GeneRally 2 is on Kickstarter", but don't understand well. (poor at English me)

- don't have a credit card
- the way of liquidation (exchange for cash) isn't known.
- is a bank transfer possible?
- a bank account transfer commission a large sum..?

Hmm.. hmm..
Sorry, that was stupid questions to say. :vsad:
PacmanOwnage

Post by PacmanOwnage »

Woot!

Whilst I only went in at the physical copy tier... I was the first person to back it, so I've got that accolade :D

It's a better start than I honestly expected, so we'll see how the mid-way lul that affects all Kickstarter projects affects this one.

...and just on the 'issue' of Unity, the engine is great, I have unfortunately had the pleasure of using it multiple times (I despise coding :P )and it works a treat, and memory leaks and what not are not the fault of either the developer or the engine, it's just a standard code procedure, fix one thing, break 5 others... and in a video game, particularly of this performance issues are at the forefront of the issues at early stages of development.

Fully confident you three and anyone else you have on board at times will do a perfect job.

Now, where's my Wii U version?
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

masa wrote:Please permit me to ask you some questions. What should I concretely do? I live in the east end.. :nippon: I read "GeneRally 2 is on Kickstarter", but don't understand well. (poor at English me)

Hmm.. hmm..
Do you have prepaid debit cards in Japan? You can buy them in stores and use them like credit cards, up to a certain amount of money (the same amount you paid for them). Those work for Kickstarter...
I like short, simple signatures!
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I actually had to go out to get a prepaid card to pay for it this morning, so you can easily do that. It cost me less than 3 pounds just for the card, which is not too much.

Hopefully you'll see a track from me... then many, many more later on. I have issues with the development but after consideration, no point fighting it, help it. I'd rather throw my assistance at it.
View my archived circuits/cars here
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

Thanks, bduddy and Crowella. I cannot have a lot of contributions, but I want to contribute at least $12.
James wrote:The 'easiest ' suggestion I 've heard for this issue , is to get a pre-paid card from a bank , post office , etc. and use that to back
But I need "the bank for GR2 transfer" and "SWIFT CODE(?)" etc.. Whatever shall I do? (I intend to use the post office)

humm.. I'm speaking wide of the mark, by any chance?? :vsad:
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

What I and bduddy were suggesting is to get a pre-paid VISA card. The card will give you all the details to pay online. I'm not sure if you have that over there but you may do.

For example, this is what I bought here in Australia. The standard card can be purchased at the post office and money put on it there right away, the only thing you need to do is activate it on the post office website and then it works just like a VISA card. Then the card details are what you enter in the kickstarter pledge. You may have a similar service available at a bank or supermarket.
http://shop.auspost.com.au/gifts-travel ... btn-040514
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

What happens if you don't reach the £20,000? Will Generally 2 be cancelled?
Rampage.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I take it if it doesn't make it, there will be some restructuring to get it to be released.

From my experience, I live with my brother who has pretty much finished a degree as a video game designer and I am in a degree as a computer scientist/researcher so I know a bit about production and management. The costs involved are a lot to an individual but in the development sense it really isn't that much. For example, the limit set is actually less than a project I may be involved in, which will not be using kickstarter, will not have perks or goodies to go with it and will possibly be released on major consoles and PC and funded mostly out of our own pockets and worked on while we are still at work or in my case, studying full time. Mind you, the team we have may be a bit larger and it's going to take 2-3 years at least just to get it to a presentable demonstration. The point remains, that even if the funding fails, there are still ways to work out how to get GR2 out. There is clearly a demand for it but it'll take time. It may need more support from the community, or just simply more time.

Will the kickstarter be successful? I hope it is. May look like not too much effort has been done now but they're not only making something to be released on day one and forgotten, but to be kept going and supported. This could probably be why the purchase of the game has the additional content. It keeps it's lifespan going. The fact that GR1 goes as strong as it is now is because some of the members here and elsewhere put the time and money in to develop a place for us to talk about it and share content. In a way, you can thank the people that have helped keep this forum alive for GR2 possibly even existing in demo form.

I know there's some resistance to it. I have a bit as well but as far as I can see, I'd rather help out something that's taken form, because no one else up to this point has gone to the level that James, Markku and Kimmo have, to produce something that we can identify with.

I put forward my money to help the team with the track making. The amount was something I decided when the kickstarter idea was announced and was actually conveniently around the track making range. I'm going to be using that to help the team see the limitations and possibilities as far as tracks are concerned and hopefully give as much advice as I can to the community on how to get the most out of it as it will be a learning experience for me also.

If you've jumped on board, be vocal but be constructive. I know that some here (myself included) do have a few issues with past things but at the end of the day, it's a game that I've been playing for about 10 years now. To see it get into a next version that still keeps as many of it's principles as it does from the original is really a blessing more than anything. The team could have taken the name and gone in such a different direction but they listened to the community far more than I have known other developers to do.

Basically what you should be doing is thanking the team for taking the time on board and trying to shuffle their time appropriately and also a thanks to the mods/admins/past admins here at GRIF and at other forums for keeping the communities alive to get us to at least this stage.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Trigger Happy wrote::bowdown: in front of the guy, who backed the project by the 800 pounds (or more) option. :shock:
Whoa, that's really something. :clap:
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

masa wrote:Please permit me to ask you some questions. What should I concretely do? I live in the east end.. :nippon: I read "GeneRally 2 is on Kickstarter", but don't understand well. (poor at English me)

Hmm.. hmm..
There are no stupid questions - don't worry :D

The only way to have the money count towards our Kickstarter campaign is to pay via a pre-paid card, as suggested by bduddy and Crowella. Unfortunately, Kickstarter don't offer a very wide variety of payment options :(
Hangman wrote:What happens if you don't reach the £20,000? Will Generally 2 be cancelled?
I think Crowella covered the pertinent points here - we're not planning on cancelling GR2 if it fails, but how long GR2 takes to complete and what features it has at that point will likely change.
Crowella wrote:*snip*
Thanks for having faith in us, despite the complications - that's a really motivating thing to read :)
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Crowella wrote:I have issues with the development but after consideration, no point fighting it, help it. I'd rather throw my assistance at it.
Crowella wrote:Basically what you should be doing is thanking the team for taking the time on board and trying to shuffle their time appropriately and also a thanks to the mods/admins/past admins here at GRIF and at other forums for keeping the communities alive to get us to at least this stage.
100% on your side. I think that´s the correct way to see it, the team needs all our support help and encouragment as we all want this nice sequel done. And, in my opinion, the more we help, the more it will look like we all want.
masa wrote:Please permit me to ask you some questions. What should I concretely do?
Masa, you could use PayPal to send these 12€ to someone you trust who has a credit card so he can get the copy for you and back up the project. Would that work? As far as I know PayPal doesn´t need a card as it can be used with a bank account.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

@masa: In czech republic we have something, what is called pay-safe card. You can buy it for 100CZK, you will recieve a code and you can pay something with it. I bet you have something similar in your country as well ;)
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Tim Wheatley? :P. I personally don't really think so, yet one of the (currently) 139 backers must have been so lavish to do it. :D
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I was quiet for quite a while and for a good reason. I see where the project is now. I must say that I like the current shape and the current progress but 3 things are literally killing me:
1. Car limit.
2. Track editor.
3. Car editor.

The first must be equal for everyone.
The second...well you can use the paid 3d version, 2d is enough but what I mean is that every editing tool must be equal for everyone!
The third is answered above.^

You can add as many paid options as you want, the current free and paid are good except the 3 above just in my opinion. ;)

Keep up with the project and let's hope that you will made it to the end (20 000 pounds).
Gentlemens, start your engines!
puttz

Post by puttz »

I disagree about the last two. I think it's fair for them to have premium tools for the backers or purchasers of the premium version. If those were all the same, what would be the incentive to pay for those who mostly like to create content? So do you think that everyone should be able to use Photoshop for free instead of some people using Paint so that everyone is equal?
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Black Rebel wrote:Masa, you could use PayPal to send these 12€ to someone you trust who has a credit card so he can get the copy for you and back up the project. Would that work? As far as I know PayPal doesn´t need a card as it can be used with a bank account.
Thats true, but not for all the countries as far as I know.

BTW, I volunteer for any help anyone would need to back up this project on Kickstarter and he doesn't have the means to do it (creditcard, pre-paid card,...)
If you have the money but not the means to pledge, I'm sure we can find a solution to it :bg:
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Same here if needed.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

puttz wrote:I disagree about the last two. I think it's fair for them to have premium tools for the backers or purchasers of the premium version. If those were all the same, what would be the incentive to pay for those who mostly like to create content? So do you think that everyone should be able to use Photoshop for free instead of some people using Paint so that everyone is equal?
This. Just because people worry about not having an advanced editor, doesn't mean there will be a quality difference between premium and basic editor tracks. May just mean a little more patience. :up:

I can't afford photoshop, hence I use GIMP. It's the same concept basically. I wouldn't worry too much. :sweatdrop: