Pay or not to Pay

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.

What payment model would you think would be best for GR2?

Free version which has all the features (like GR1)
55%
Free version without multiplayer and less cars per race and a separate full £8 pay version (Kickstarter campaign)
24%
Demo of GR2 with limited tracks, cars and options (laps, modes etc) and a separate full £8 pay version
15%
Just a full £8 pay version (no demo, no free version)
6%

Total votes: 80
tonyyeb

Pay or not to Pay

Post by tonyyeb »

After much discussion as to what went wrong with the GR2 Kickstarter Campaign, the topic moved to whether GR2 should be free, a demo with a pay premium version or just a pay version. Whilst it is obviously up to the developers what they do with GR2, I thought a quick poll would make for interesting reading.
bduddy

Re: Pay or not to Pay

Post by bduddy »

Are we really the right people to ask? I can't imagine anyone that would prefer paying money over not paying money (in a vacuum), but the situation changes very quickly when you factor in how much will actually get done depending on the money received.
I like short, simple signatures!
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

The question for the poll isn't what you would prefer, it is what you think is best for GeneRally.
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

What does being "best" for GeneRally mean? Anyway, you should have included whether people want free version in 2020 or paid version in 2015.
Rampage.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Perhaps those that choose the free only option could provide some ideas on how to provide sustainable long lasting funding that would last another 10-20 years like GR1?

At the moment I presume Crono pays for the hosting of this forum, which shouldn't really be a task he should undertake, are the dev team expected to do the same? albeit i realise the costs are small compared to the potential £8 x purchases. But there would be additional costs involved to provide hosting for online races etc.

Also perhaps the dev team could provide a detailed breakdown on how the sum of £8 came about, particularly going forward after an initial funding phase? Although of course I realise 'purchases' would significantly drop after the initial release.
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

Hangman wrote:What does being "best" for GeneRally mean? Anyway, you should have included whether people want free version in 2020 or paid version in 2015.
Best for its long term future, to be successful.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

There should be next option in the poll: "What the devoloping team considers is needed to get it done". So I am not voting one of the current options.

Because otherwise we are just saying what we wnat, and of course we all want the very best game and for free. But then I would understand that maybe the GR2 guys are not up to spend valuable time of their lifes working on it, investing the money from their own pockets just to make us all happy. How egoistic does that sounds??? :mad: :down:
puttz

Post by puttz »

Now, here's a question. Could it be possible to make it so that people host their own races on their computer rather than through an online server?
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

puttz wrote:Now, here's a question. Could it be possible to make it so that people host their own races on their computer rather than through an online server?
Not sure how your question relates to the poll but yes this is how a lot of multiplayer games work but I *think* you still need a matchmaking server but the game is hosted on a client rather than the server.
puttz

Post by puttz »

tonyyeb wrote:
puttz wrote:Now, here's a question. Could it be possible to make it so that people host their own races on their computer rather than through an online server?
Not sure how your question relates to the poll but yes this is how a lot of multiplayer games work but I *think* you still need a matchmaking server but the game is hosted on a client rather than the server.
Sorry, it was related in my head :P Just thinking how the developers could reduce/eliminate the cost of multiplayer thus either reducing the price of the game or giving multiplayer for free.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

If GR Team want earn money, They should try promote game on Steam (more people know and use Steam than kickstarter).

But IMO £8 is attack for players money. Is more expensive than Global Offensive. It is crazy...
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
duck

Post by duck »

If we compare it to indie games

Spelunky: £12
Super Meat Boy: £11
Generally 2: £8
Cave Story+: £7
Fez: £7
Hotline Miami: £7
Limbo: £7
Faster Than Light: £7
Binding of Isaac: £4
Generally: £0
Cave Story: £0

£7 seems quite common for some reason
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

How many people actually pay those prices, though? They are discounted so often... and most of them are much more appealing to the average gamer than GR2 ever will be, let alone the current GR2 demo...
puttz

Post by puttz »

Yeah, that's the thing. A lot of these games are bought when they go on sale at 50-75% off, making them only a couple of bucks. Racing games are kind of niche games compared to things like platformers and fps, and GR even more so within the racing genre, so it would be a hard sell for 8£ (which by the way in US$ is like 12-14, which is a lot more than a lot of the smaller indie games). Just saying.
Last edited by puttz on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

GBP too stronk nerf pls.

No, seriously, most of those niche indie titles go for 10 USD or less.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

bduddy wrote:Are we really the right people to ask? I can't imagine anyone that would prefer paying money over not paying money (in a vacuum), but the situation changes very quickly when you factor in how much will actually get done depending on the money received.
Probably (and to my surprise too) the poll wasn't that bad idea after all, atm it says, that majority (15 of 27) actually doesn't think to be totally free of any fee is the best for a GR sequel. :scratch:
reynaldo123

Post by reynaldo123 »

Hi everyone :D :wave:

i think 8 bucks is a bit expensive (based in other games like this one on steam and origin) but cheap :2c: based on games like CoD Ghosts or CoD Advanced Warfare (60 dollars :omgboard: )
"A lie is a lie. Just because they write it down and call it history doesn't make it the truth. We live in a world where seeing is not believing, where only a few know what really happened. We live in a world where everything you know is wrong."

-Alex Mason, CoD Black Ops
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

Hmmm... You compare GR2 with CoD? Oh yeah, fantastic idea!
ALL TRACKS
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

I´d like to add my coin in this discussion:
Anybody who heard a little bit about marketing knows about the "pay-wall-effect".
It means, that customers will always be stunned at first when they need to buy something rather than getting it for free.
It doesn´t matter if it´s 10€ or 20Cents. You have to take out your wallet, your credit-card, etc. which causes you trouble you would like to avoid.
Once this pay-wall is crossed, the actual amount loses its meaning. (Most people living in western or middle europe don´t really mind typing a 5 or a 8 in a field before clicking the "buy" button) :taped:

The problem with kickstarter is, that it unnecessarily raises this pay-wall by accepting only credit cards, having to create an account, etc.
Maybe having the game on steam would make it easier for customers to cross this pay-wall.
They already have their account and their payment details set up. They probably already bought many games before and all they have to do to buy the game is clicking a button.

So imo the discussion about the price is rather useless, at least as long as it stays in a reasonable range.
The important thing is to make the game easily accessible for people who are interested i it.
whitealien

Post by whitealien »

Hi. I am not one of the crowd here and cannot claim to be a gene-rally addict who really knows the game or who can compete in the competitions with the sickeningly quick perfect lap times! I like the game, it's really fun, simple to play with a deep level underneath it that makes it work brilliantly. Add in the customisation. Perfect. I found it when looking for a racing game that allowed you to build your own track and race on it a couple of years ago and play every now and again since.

My attitude when I was younger was that everything should be free, but I don't think that is necessarily right in all cases. The real person is to ask would be the guy(s) who are/is doing all of the development work. It's really down to him, basing on his decision on whether he can make enough for it to be worthwhile or not, or whether he enjoys it so much that he will do it anyway.

The problem with introducing payment is that with payments people expect there to be no bugs and other features that aren't necessary if it's simply free. Having it as a pay-game may also lose the customising community that has clearly built up around the game... can something be effectively open-source as well as being free? I am not sure....maybe...

But on the other hand, these guys have built a game and community that people love and are willing to lay a lot down, a lot of hours, stress, emotions, and expertise, in order to produce the game so why shouldn't they be justly rewarded for their efforts?

Personally, I hope gene-rally 2 doesn't differ too much from the original, asides from introducing multiplayer gaming which I think is what everybody really wants. The game works so well as it is, it doesn't really need massive upgrades.
RodSk8Punk

Post by RodSk8Punk »

Well, if they NEED the money (of course they do [not sarcasm]), then I think it should be a free version that's basically like GR1 but with the new track/car editor and physics (maybe also the day-night thing), and a paid version that's the full new thing. The price might be too high though, considering the game's niche appeal, as was previously stated. Maybe 5 to 10 dollars?
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

If the current developers aren't willing to develop a game for free (plus possible donations?), then obviously there's nothing we can do to make them. However, there's also the issue that trying to charge for GR2 may not lead to all that much money, either - something the failed Kickstarter seems to have leaned towards, not to mention decreasing activity in the GR community. Unfortunately, there's no easy answer...