Texture Change (Asset Change)

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Texture Change (Asset Change)

Post by Crowella »

Mods, if you deem this inappropriate, please remove this topic

So basically, took a look at the files and thought why not change some of the textures. Seems like at the moment you can do a fair bit of modding, so here's what I suppose could be the first mod for GR... If you can call it that.

At this stage, there isn't too many LMap textures to choose from, or at least that I found. The LMap is modifiable but I chose to leave it as it is. This just consists of some texture updates to demonstrate what can be done.

So if you're looking at track making... Could be a little more complex now but you can probably choose colours to suit your taste, mainly the lack of red soft walls. :shhh:

Code: Select all

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING:
Please make a copy of the file "sharedassets1.assets" in your GR2_KS_Demo_data folder
before installing.

============================
TEXTURE CHANGE
v0.1
By Crowella
============================
Description:
Change to the demo track file assets to show different colour buildings, different
colour soft walls and gravel traps.

Installation:
Simply replace sharedassets1.assets (in GR2_KS_Demo_data folder) with the one contained 
in the zip file.

Comments:
- This was done to demonstrate the possible addons that can be done to/for GR 2.0. On
looking at the asset file, it seems to me that it may be possible to add more objects,
and even edit the LMap in there. I did attempt to do so but I had issues with lighting.
- I am aware of the issues with the shadows and the colours of some textures in the
day to night transistion. I'm afraid this is a lighting engine issue and I have
chosen colours to try and avoid issues but alas, can't seem to work around it.
- While I have modified this file, I cannot guarantee it will work on all systems so
if you have any issues, let me know.
- Nothing here modifies the actual physics of the game, merely the aesthetics.
Merged double reply from Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:47 pm:

And as added, here is some proof of a changable LMap. I couldn't figure out just yet how to get it to correspond well with the lighting engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
View my archived circuits/cars here
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Texture Change (Asset Change)

Post by James »

Nice work - Tuomo filled me in a little earlier :)

Not quite wanting to rain on the parade this early... but there will be very significant changes in this area. At the moment, what's in the demo you have is just a bunch of assets slapped into a Unity package... there are no overt car or track formats at the moment (well, there are, but they're run through our importer, not loaded directly into the engine yet). These will be coming during alpha, along with the track/car editors ;)

One thing we're going to be careful about is object changes - and it's still something we have to decide whether we're going 100% with the method in GR1 (no third-party objects at all), or whether we're going to have some kind of system for it (but that might lead to tracks that are far too 'complex' for GR's style - and we don't want to ruin style for the sake of some objects).

Either way, as I said, nice investigative skills - I'm sure there's plenty in the demo assets you can figure out to replace ;)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Ah, thought he might have.

Yeah, I think the main thing I was highlighting here is at this stage is that there are some really flexible options, and some that aren't so flexible. Palette's, which I think a lot of people like using, can be implemented pretty easily, especially if they are common amongst all tracks.

And thank you. I have to put my degree to some use. :ugeek:

I looked at the track format and I can tell it's not optimised but so early on, it's understandable. Was kind of a headache. I figured out how to change textures on objects and change the objects themselves. Not move them or scale them yet. :shhh:
Last edited by Crowella on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Crowella wrote:Yeah, I think the main thing I was highlighting here is at this stage is that there are some really flexible options, and some that aren't so flexible. Palette's, which I think a lot of people like using, can be implemented pretty easily, especially if they are common amongst all tracks.
By all means, go ahead and fiddle! It's what I'd do in your shoes :P

If you find anything you think we might need to know about, or might find useful, do let me know via PM/email. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the idea of what should and shouldn't be user-moddable come release, too ;)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I did manage to make a few things glitch out. I'm taking that the chances of this stuff happening with the proper editor will be extremely unlikely but I did manage to make a garage disappear too.

To explain to people, at the moment, the assets are tied in with the track itself. This is why you don't necessarily have a .trk file or anything like that at the moment. Those that have worked with unity may know how to access these assets and have a look at them. I won't say get your hopes up yet because understandably like James said, the format will change (just like it did between 1.05 and 1.1).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NicolasP

Post by NicolasP »

Crowella wrote:I did manage to make a few things glitch out. I'm taking that the chances of this stuff happening with the proper editor will be extremely unlikely but I did manage to make a garage disappear too.

To explain to people, at the moment, the assets are tied in with the track itself. This is why you don't necessarily have a .trk file or anything like that at the moment. Those that have worked with unity may know how to access these assets and have a look at them. I won't say get your hopes up yet because understandably like James said, the format will change (just like it did between 1.05 and 1.1).
:iagree: