GeneRally 2 feature request list

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Marco

Re: Official GeneRally feature request list

Post by Marco »

puttz wrote:Here's an idea: When you miss checkpoints, instead of what it does now, when you hit the next checkpoint your speed gets limited for a certain amount of time. Or there could be an option in the menu for which you'd like to use, this or the classic way.
Interesting idea. For a penalty I could also sugest something like a drive-through, similar to F1
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
Qurpiz
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Qurpiz »

Paw wrote:I don't remember if it was proposed, but it would be cool to have the track "box" wider. In times, when widescreen displays are more and more popular, having square track leaves wasted space at sides. Having it wider than taller would use the display area better. Possibly as an option.
I remember suggesting this way back. Not only about using the space better, the possibilities it would create in trackmaking, and I'm only thinking about making [rwl] tracks with layouts that don't necessarily fit in a square (example, Le Mans Circuit de La Sarthe). You would have less need to make compromises with the layout.
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

So... what about us folk who aren't as lucky to afford widescreen monitors?
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Paw

Post by Paw »

Haruna wrote:So... what about us folk who aren't as lucky to afford widescreen monitors?
Well, compromises, compromises...

Even then, you have 4:3 screen, not 1:1 (which is the ratio of GR track), though how it looks in the end depends on perspective. You also have a bar at the bottom, which takes some of the height available. In the end you are more likely to have empty space at sides, even on 4:3.

And it doesn't have to be 16:9, it can be like 16:11 or something :roll:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Another possibility would be to have the bar on the left/right side if the screen ratio is 16:9 or 16:10 :D
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I'm not saying that 4:3 shouldn't be supported, in fact I would love to use a 4:3 monitor if I had one, but at some point widescreen needs to become the main focus... It's almost impossible to find 16:10 monitors these days, let alone 4:3!
I like short, simple signatures!
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

bduddy wrote:It's almost impossible to find 16:10 monitors these days, let alone 4:3!
I've got 16:10 both as my laptop's and as my computer's screen :D But I agree, 16:9 is probably the most popular screen ratio at the moment...
Marco

Post by Marco »

I have a sugestion.
Would it be posible that a car could have six wheels in GR2 :scratch: , it would be cool to make a proper P34
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

marinator wrote:I have a sugestion.
Would it be posible that a car could have six wheels in GR2 :scratch: , it would be cool to make a proper P34
Don't forget 6-wheeled big cargo trucks! :D

Would you guys kill me if I say: Tire Bridge?
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
RodSk8Punk

Post by RodSk8Punk »

For the demo: coudn't it have a downloadable version aswell (long story short I don't have internet on my PC and the one I'm using to post this most certainly can't run it, it even struggles to open normal webpages)
If you want the longer story:

The modem fried. My brother got another one but for some reason the router doesn't work with this modem. It works on his PC, but he coudn't make it work on mine. We've been waiting for two weeks for it to arrive, I'm not sure if this one is it or if my brother got it from somewhere else, I don't want to keep waiting so much more to try it!
EDIT:
Rendy wrote:Tire Bridge?
Also this..
znik

Post by znik »

I've been a fan of GeneRally since 2005 when I first discovered it as a kid and enjoyed it very much, however... WTF is it all about NOT including a multiplayer function to the game because it would "destroy" the charm of the game? I've missed this a lot. A multiplayer function could contribute so much to the game in terms of sharing tracks, organizing tournaments and making ranking system. For everyone who enjoy the single player mode and work their a***es off with manual offline local rankings and tournaments, feel free to stay that way even if there was a multiplayer mode available. No one would force you to use a multiplayer system. But one thing is for sure, a multiplayer function would solely contribute in a positive way for the game's future success and sustainability.

So to the GeneRally developement team, I'd highly recommend you to at least consider implementing, if not advanced, a simple multiplayer function to the game to begin with.

Thanks.
puttz

Post by puttz »

I think there are plenty of us that share that opinion, znik. Somehow it seems like the "no way" voices are the loudest. I am all for having online multiplayer in GR2, I think it would be great. And it wouldn't have to replace any of the current stuff, series could still be run the same way as in GR1 also (which will probably still be the most common way to do championships because of all the players being in so many different time zones around the world.)
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
marass

Post by marass »

Yes, it is nice idea to have multiplayer. But, as puttz wrote,.. we live in different time zones, and I IMO think, that current system is quite unusual. Because, you have to wait for results, you have to beat AIs, which can be worse than human player, because they are going on AI line, they do not care about bouncing each other. I think, many compos will be still in current system.
At least I hope so
You are also under so called LOGIN SYNDROME, etc.
Martin B. - CZRT racer
Best Czech rookie in January 2014
Last tracks: SnowHill [stc], part of JEA 24 [ral], Ruta [cir]
Last misc.: Wacky wheels sounds
WIP: Ingliston [rwl] [cir] (5%), AirChaos [cir] [tpk?] [ovl]
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

RACE FLAGS/LIGHTS: After trying quite a lot the demo, an idea came to my mind. As tracks are normally created with invisble checkpoints, etc. It woud be great to include track marshalls showing yellow flags (or lights as used in F1) when one damaged car cross through one of these specific checkpoints, so you can know there is an upcoming danger with an slow car. Maybe it is really hard to do, but it would add a really nice touch to the game. Blue flags could be added same way if that does work.

MARSHALL TENTS/LIGHTS: 3D Object named Marshall Tent. It will do the function I pointed above.

WEATHER EFFECTS: Such as rain, snow, fog, etc. Of course fitted in in the very best GeneRally style.

TIRE BRIDGE & CARS, TRUCKS, VANS, etc: More 3D objects to choose from if possible. What have been said before:
Bouncebackability wrote: and a telegraph pole.
and a car shaped object.
and a concrete wall with a curved catch fencing.
and a scoring tower...
Trigger Happy wrote:And armco wall
XYY wrote:or we get complete custom objects :lol:
Despite I would say I agree with next sentence:
AleksiNir wrote:IMHO GR trackmaking would lose some of it's magic if making objects would be completely free. Limited objects (and pallette in lmap...) are one reason why it is so fascinating. Of course it would be nice to get more objects, but only 10-15 :scratch: Also resizing and changing color of objects would be great.

There are so many things I would like to request about GR, that I'd have to write the post for hours :D
Thanks for making GR2 possible. :bg:
AeroWiewiur
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AeroWiewiur »

What about more short walls (mainly concrete, armaco and tire(?) walls) like "Hedge (short)"? Curved walls would look better.
Sorry for my English
RodSk8Punk

Post by RodSk8Punk »

AeroWiewiur wrote:What about more short walls (mainly concrete, armaco and tire(?) walls) like "Hedge (short)"? Curved walls would look better.
AleksiNir wrote:[...]resizing and changing color of objects would be great[...]
What about CURVED WALLS? If they were resizable, on the case of a curved wall, resizing it would change the proportions, allowing for slight curves up to sharp turns (assuming resizing worked in many directions [X,Y,Z] separatedly rather than just all together).

Though I guess the edges and width could give problems. Only way I imagine would be that it is just a line that the graphic engine then expanded to the actual width after placed. Is something like that doable (not in GeneRally, just, well, generally)? I don't know how these work.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Or perhaps some kind of spline wall, where you can just draw a wall in the track editor, and it fills it in with a bunch of small wall sections.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

puttz wrote:Or perhaps some kind of spline wall, where you can just draw a wall in the track editor, and it fills it in with a bunch of small wall sections.
:notme: *

* Disclaimer: I can't promise this will be in there, but it is very, very, very near the top of our TE 'needed features' list.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GeneRally 2 feature request list

Post by James »

If anyone has interest in keeping this list up-to-date (much in the same way as egamad has done for the GR1 list), please get in touch with Trigger Happy :)
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

what about qual session before a race?
puttz

Post by puttz »

jefcam wrote:what about qual session before a race?
That would be a kind of nice feature as long as it's optional. Like in the settings for start order there would be "points", "points reversed", "random", "qualifying".
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

+1

Free practice + Qualifying + Race = Superb. As long as you can set AI cars to qualy aswell, and of course you can set all sessions on or off.
Zaekyr

Post by Zaekyr »

I looked a little bit so far at GR2 site and frankly I'm a little worried. GR2 is a great idea but 2 things that bother me conceptually are:

1. Track compatibility, nice benefit of having a couple thousand tracks to start with but potentially huge drawback with bringing potential of GR2 down. If a GR2 is to exist shouldn't we want it to be a better version? i.e. Larger palette, more objects, plus the important thing of having things in GR2 be proportionately sized. I always understood the Rabina brothers were limited by the fact it was just the two of them who threw this together for fun and not expecting much of it. But like anyone else in the GR community I have had difficulty with sizes of objects in game not quite matching up. I have been playing this since 03 and have seen huge changes in the changing communities' idea of what car sizes should be because of varying scale of track objects. In those days before Juan's car editor most cars sizes were roughly based on an average of object sizes in game. When Juan created and released his car editor many users started making cars sized in the same fashion. (although many different ideas of physics also came about and some talk was made of organizing a car physics "board" so different users cars would be more similar and could be raced against each other, it never happened). The last few car packs released this year I have downloaded and tried, the cars look more to me like golf carts than cars. They are so tiny! I guess users now are basing their creations on house size or something. Which rolls back into backward compatibility with tracks since if most people want higher resolutions, more colors, more and different objects, it will make GR2 far weaker than it could be or make the tracks converted from GR non drivable anyway.
I for one would rather have the objects and cars made with car and track editor (hopefully both editors will include a standard or metric equivalence) all scaled so everything will be a touch more realistic. So I guess this would turn out to be a vote for scaled cars and objects with the reasons mentioned above.

2. This one may not be a problem but I noticed what seems to be GR2 cars with balls for wheels. I really hope the dev team could go with cylindrical wheels (If that isn't already planned). Sure it takes about 200 polies to make a reasonable wheel but if the plan is for 200+ polies for cars then having ball wheels wouldn't make sense. The other nice bonus of cylindrical wheels is setting width and diameter sizes.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Balls wheels are in the DNA of generally and it can't be changed. Even with good devs. :)
puttz

Post by puttz »

That was one thing the devs sad would stay for sure, if the wheels weren't spherical, it just wouldn't be GR.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff