GeneRally 2 feature request list

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Whiplash

Re: Official GeneRally feature request list

Post by Whiplash »

bduddy wrote:I understand if some people don't want to race with more cars on the track. But will having that option really affect your enjoyment of the game?! I don't understand that, at all. Why should these people's opinion affect the choices offered to everyone else?
Exactly. When we are talking about options we don't talk about fixed stuff. If you have an option to include 20 cars, that doesn't mean that you can't play with only 6 anymore. So, why should we insist on limitations if we can have more freedom.
Anything that you liked before, you will still be able to play. But also, there will be options for some more advanced players.

Trigger Happy wrote:Because it'd change whole nature of the game IMHO. GR is arcade but in fact it greatly simulates real racing in its core like e.g. kart racing has (you need consistency though whole race, speed etc, if you will keep or improve your position, chase opponent or create gap, it's about racing where you care about tenths of each lap, because decide about the progress), not a silly arcade game with 20 cars on grid, which you'll overtake from last spot on grid within 3 laps without a resistance.
By your logic, best racing is against 1 bot only. :pillepalle:

I guess you never played any other game to see how cool it can be fight against many players.
Here is an example for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sLHNenv ... ure=relmfu
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

No, I played already many games (inluding the Turbosliders), but only GR kept me interested for more than few weekends, e.g. Turbosliders is for me so repetitive. :roll:

BTW the video is actually bright expample of my words, you have maybe 20 cars on track, but all time race chosen guy battles all time with max. 1-4, so actually does not need the remaining bots or people for his fun at all, they are for him just fancy detail uselessly circling around just for his good feeling from their presence. Simply more cars on track at once does not imply being involved in more racing in a linear approach, the 6 cars in GR bring same amount of fun like the few cars really racing of the virtually huge field against a player.

My words do not imply anything like nonse about 1 bot you present above btw2. On the other hand how much a game is funny in such condition (duel) is usuallly a really good test of its fun-factor. ;)
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

The point is that the game will lose nothing from it's spirit if it just get few more options. You can still enjoy playing it as you like the most.
I personally like to play it the most without any bot on the track. But that doesn't mean that it will be worst game if there is option to include 20+ bots. More options will satisfy more players, that's all.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

If you think it will loose nothing, OK, I have no need to force you thinking otherwise, but for me it would be really a big hit to core principle of max. simplicity, which breaths from every detail of the game (since menu, sounds, graphic to racing itself) and makes for me GR to be what it is.

After watching the video I was feeling you're writing it from view to have many human players in online racing, a bit different viewpoint than I have (offline racing, I don't miss the multiplayer feature at all in fact). To be not just negative but constructive, I'd be able to imagine a solution.

For single-player to keep few cars (as now or e.g. 8) and everything like we know now, for multi-player same, if number of people will not exceed the number of cars. In case more persons would join the race, the game would switch it to something in trackmania race style (which somebody mentioned in past somewhere here), some half-ghost cars, which could crash objects but not other cars (even could pit at same time at same crew), so you could have let's say 20 online-players racing in something pretty same to current GR, including converted GR1 tracks without an issue of traffic jams or a need to do major concept changes in track designs or so. And at same time the option with full-cars racing (crashing both objects and other cars) would be kept as is now. Maybe it could work, I don't know. :scratch:

BTW I wonder how much actually this still is a question. At least for me it seems it can have quite influence on overall development, so I'd not be surprised, if James and Markku would already have a clear and final choice in this point. We shall see later. :shrug:
Paw

Post by Paw »

Few more from me:

- Weather efffects. Mostly visual, like the sky changing dark when it's raining, some rain particles. Maybe the palette could be changed to darker (if the sequel would still use palettes), especially tarmac and mud/sand, as the effect of being wet. Also car grip could be affected, eg. multiplying the base grip for tarmac by 0.9. And I'm not suggesting dynamic effects nor different tyres.

- Time of day: night races! This could be paired with having lights for cars. These could be defined as 4 points for car (similar to head) which would light up when you would choose night race (or evening, whatever ;) ). shining points should be easy to implement, lighting other objects and track with front lights could be harder, but just imagine this. Same for lightposts. :hyper:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Paw wrote:- Time of day: night races! ..
Keep your eye on James' GR twitter account :shhh: (btw I wonder if I'm blind or its link disappeared from official site from a reason). :)
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Trigger Happy wrote:(btw I wonder if I'm blind or its link disappeared from official site from a reason). :)
Not intentional, merely an oversight - will correct it :)
M1KA

Post by M1KA »

Hi from Spain,

My opinion about the sequel:

- An online mode will be great
- Races with "collision mode off" option (is funny too)
- 6-8 players is enough
- Now we have "wide screen", so let the option to made bigger tracks
- Add "phantoms" of our fast laps in order to can beat the others records

And KEEP it SIMPLE (rain? night? drs? ...?)
Easy English, please...
Hello, my name is Iñigo Montoya.
puttz

Post by puttz »

M1KA wrote: - Add "phantoms" of our fast laps in order to can beat the others records
Just FYI, there already is this if you drive with just one driver. It's the ghost car option that can be turned on in the options menu.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
M1KA

Post by M1KA »

puttz wrote: Just FYI, there already is this if you drive with just one driver.
It's the ghost car option that can be turned on in the options menu.
Yeah, but there must to be a way to upload your "ghost top lap car" to
a site (official) in order to other players could download and try to beat it.

It also will show you the best way to made a "perfect lap".
Easy English, please...
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

M1KA wrote:
puttz wrote: Just FYI, there already is this if you drive with just one driver.
It's the ghost car option that can be turned on in the options menu.
Yeah, but there must to be a way to upload your "ghost top lap car" to
a site (official) in order to other players could download and try to beat it.

It also will show you the best way to made a "perfect lap".
Hmm, you must be a MRO player, am I right? (I played MRO, but now not anymore sadly...)

Back to the topic, you mean like there should be an option for uploading our best ghost laps, right?
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
M1KA

Post by M1KA »

Indeed.

And yes! I was a MRO player... The online mode & upload of time laps was a strong point. ;)
Easy English, please...
Paw

Post by Paw »

A couple of details from me, again :sweatdrop:

- Brakes strenght as a parameter of car.

- FWD/RWD/AWD as a switch in car file, instead of swapping positions of wheels as the only possible solution currently.

- Better physics. Now the car feels a bit like a point of mass with four "motors" when dealing with just driving, not collisions. The way it carries momentum, and as it turns by just pivoting around (0,0) point.

- The force which keeps the car on the wheels when it rolls could be a bit weaker, so rolling a car over could be (more) possible in extreme conditions. This force could be bigger if the car is slower, so when it would stop it would revert back onto wheels.

- Gearshifts as a audio effect? Because of the acceleration of GR cars just 3 gears for whole speed range would be enough.

- Multiple hit sounds depending on strenght.
Garbre
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Garbre »

@PAW:
These requests sound like they are coming from a game developer. :rofl: I agree!
Always sign your every work in GR! Or use .txt files to inform us about ownership!
*My tracks* Contact me on garbregr1.2@gmail.com
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
puttz

Post by puttz »

How about a different way of track management? It's kind of annoying that you can put a track in only one category. It could be something like the tags in the forum, except in game you create various tags, and select the tracks that you want to apply that tag to. Then when you select that tag, it would show you only the tagged track.

Edit: The same could also apply to cars, because there needs to be some kind of car management in the game, rather than having to use external programs.
Last edited by puttz on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

puttz wrote:How about a different way of track management? It's kind of annoying that you can put a track in only one category. It could be something like the tags in the forum, except in game you create various tags, and select the tracks that you want to apply that tag to. Then when you select that tag, it would show you only the tagged track.
Probably the best idea I've seen in this thread
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I agree with Martyn, especially taking into count the edited post's statements about car management!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

On the other hand ... with folders we have freedom to sort it as each of us wants by own preferences - by track type, by authors, by personal quality rating, by regions/time epoch in case of rwl tracks, by WIPs etc etc etc- or just simply keeping a random mess, if one likes - why the hell not? It's sort of good, that only system imperatively enforced by the game itself is alphabetical order, I personally consider it to be one of great achievements of this game, that it leaves this on choice of each individual player - with no further included all-wisdom-in-universe-on-our-side claim in this matter by Räbinäs - like often happens in other games. If some more systems should be introduced, it should not be step backwards by enforcing to players one system based on certain preference (like equivalent of forum tags), which not all necessary will share together with removing/denying all other options - it'd be way too hight cost for a little bit more comfort for only some of us. :cool2:
puttz

Post by puttz »

@Ivo I think you slightly misinterpreted my post. What I'm talking about is that each player defines his own tags within the game, could be any of the things that you mentioned or others, and applies as many tags as he wishes to each track. With the current folder system, you can only put a track in multiple categories by having more than one copy of this. With what I'm thinking, you would need only one copy of the track, and the game would stores the tags applied to each track in some kind of external file. So you could have a track (let's say for example's sake Yas Marina by Maciej1), and tag within your game as Maciej1, rwl, cir, and Middle East. Then if you sort tracks by one of those tags, that track would appear in the list. So, if you wanted to race only on rwl tracks, select the rwl tag. Perhaps it could even be allowed to filter by multiple tags, so you could restrict it to rwl circuits or something like that.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Puttz, I understood you, I just wanted to warn against a short-sign logic in sense of some trivialisation of the idea into some narrow range of few default tags (like those in forum), which would be pre-set for check in trk options by track author and effectively disabling use of any other scopes.

BTW it's easier to drop a trk (or group of mouse-picked trks) into a named folder and then move to another than to (re)write/(re)check a tag into each such file one after another via an in-game menu IMHO (I have for example over fic 2000 tracks only of cir tag in my game folder and I'm far away from being an extreme collector).
puttz

Post by puttz »

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Maybe a good approach would be a hybrid, allow the sorting by folders just like in the current GR, but also allow the custom tagging and sorting by tags as well. Seems like a good compromise. :bg:
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
bgcatfan

Post by bgcatfan »

I must say I really like puttz's idea. I don't have the collection that Ivo does, but I'm slowing trying to build it back up by browsing through the forums and downloading/sorting tracks out. I just came to a good idea today about what I'd like to do with track folders from now onwards, but track tags would give me a little more flexibility. :)
puttz

Post by puttz »

Another idea, for those who like doing stage rallys, a mode where you can rally against AI's, but without having them running at the exact same time as you. Kind of like a real life rally would be with staggered starts, and perhaps a way that it would count cumulative time over the course of several stages to determine the winner :bg:

Also, I think a way for weather effects to be implemented (hot/cool track, rain, etc.) without having to modify tracks (e.g. spray oil across the track and use a "wet" palette.)
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Otto Wilson
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Otto Wilson »

yeah, a Rally mode would be great, with cumulative damage and wear until the next service area would be cool :D
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Otto Wilson wrote:yeah, a Rally mode would be great, with cumulative damage and wear until the next service area would be cool :D
Yeah baby! :bg: And that's the place where having more than 6 players in multiplayer could bring a lot of fun (especially if they could drive one after another on the same PC - hotseat). One more reason to include them. :yummy:
Developers should just consider nice statistics options there too. Cup could be based on summarized times, or summarized points. ;)