GeneRally 2 feature request list

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Garbre
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Official GeneRally feature request list

Post by Garbre »

Hi guys! :wave: I'm sorry for my long absence, though I was monitoring how things were going.

@Whiplash
I really like the idea of yours, but did you suggest that we should use pre-rendered tracks, because that's what we can see in the video. I don't know how it would be possible but that method would really solve the problems of our demands. There would be no distortion of landmap objects, following camera would be implementable, huge tracks would be comfortable and etc. Now that I'm looking at it, it would work just like Turbo Sliders! Which is a good thing for development, having a game which works the same way that is.

If I remember correctly noone requested to change the way of track creation until now. I don't want to change it as well because right now it's simple and easy to use. Defienetly part of the game's concept. I remember when I had tried out rFactor's trackmaking process out of curiosity. I could plan out the track in much more detail than in GR, but that made the work incredibly slow, and compared to GR's track editor it needs much more time learn how to handle. Working with a 3D editor needs more knowledge. So please let it be the same!
Always sign your every work in GR! Or use .txt files to inform us about ownership!
*My tracks* Contact me on garbregr1.2@gmail.com
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Garbre wrote: @Whiplash
I really like the idea of yours, but did you suggest that we should use pre-rendered tracks, because that's what we can see in the video. I don't know how it would be possible but that method would really solve the problems of our demands. There would be no distortion of landmap objects, following camera would be implementable, huge tracks would be comfortable and etc. Now that I'm looking at it, it would work just like Turbo Sliders! Which is a good thing for development, having a game which works the same way that is.
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.
I guess it's about loading whole track before the race start without movable track objects while race is on.
Yep, in TS it works like that. The game reads the track before the race starts and then it just fallows positions of cars (players).
Anyway, I'm still not totally sure what you thought by "pre-rendering" and "distortion".
Garbre
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Garbre »

I was only asking if you thought that it could work the same way as Turbo Sliders, with some movable objects. I guess you were only thinking about how the camera would follow us. :D But that video gave me that idea about pre-rendered tracks. As you have already described the rendering would not go real-time, GR records the footage of the track from its adjusted camera angle when the track loads in. This would also allow some really high detailed models. :yummy:
Always sign your every work in GR! Or use .txt files to inform us about ownership!
*My tracks* Contact me on garbregr1.2@gmail.com
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I got these ideas from a friend that doesn't post here:

-A "survival" mode of increasingly hard 1v1 races against AI opponents
-Full events including practice and qualifying
-Pair/team racing (by combined time, or with 1 car determining the win/others trying to take him out)
-A "free driving" mode
-Demolition derby mode
-Splitscreen (to go along with other camera views)
-A "ticker" with all the racers and time differences, etc. (like on TV)
-Independent tire wear + damage caused by big jumps, etc.
-Rollovers
-Performance graphs for cars
-Base cars that would replicate real-life series
-In-game car setup
-Different AI lines that would allow overtaking, superspecial-type tracks, etc. (I think GPL does something similar...)
-Crowd cheering/booing
-Layered surfaces (tarmac below dirt, for example)
-Multiclass racing
-AI with more customizable values (aggression?)
I like short, simple signatures!
puttz

Post by puttz »

Tracks that have categories built into the track so that you could sort by track type.
Allow palettes to be defined in the track instead of by external files that are universal.
A toggle that would allow you to have the option to have cars eliminated if they reach max damage.
AI's with a range instead of 1 single value, or multiple skills like speed, aggression, ability on different types of tracks (which would be defined in the track files).
A car manager built into the game.
Allows cars to have categories defined within the car file.
A car search that allows you to find cars that have similar characteristics.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I like that cheering idea :). What if there were randomized hard core fans - some folks on stands and some of the other folks would wear colors of drivers (AI) and when the car of their "chosen" driver would be near to them they would cheer for their hero :). I mean not everybody cheers but some guys yes. If there is stereo sound it would be reconginizble :). It could be cool specially for TT/HL racing.
Paw

Post by Paw »

An option for scripting your own race modes and championships ;)
Von Mantov

Post by Von Mantov »

1) would be nice to have two layers of land drawable overlapping ... for example a layer of snow in the upper layer that once consumed reveals grass or tarmac drawn in the lower layer ..
2) more colors to be used
3) an Ai line from point A to B and not only a loop
Michkov

Post by Michkov »

Different waz the fuel consumption is calculated. Right now its based on distance driven, modified by the consumption setting in the option. Something linked to the throttle would be great.
LegoDino77

Post by LegoDino77 »

I think we all want 24 drivers on the road at the same time! :D
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

No, we don't all want that.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Absolutely luke, more than 8 and its losing the generally feel
puttz

Post by puttz »

Yeah, 8-10 max, although I suppose there could be support for more, but you don't have to use that many.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

LegoDino77 wrote:I think we all want 24 drivers on the road at the same time! :D
Lukeno94 wrote:No, we don't all want that.
Bouncebackability wrote:Absolutely luke, more than 8 and its losing the generally feel
puttz wrote:Yeah, 8-10 max, although I suppose there could be support for more, but you don't have to use that many.
I support 20+ drivers on the track too. It's "must to do" thing especially if developers make chasing camera.
6 of them can still be human controlled only. That's kinda enough.
Nothing from the game spirit will be taken on that way. On the contrary, the game will be pretty improved by that.
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

I don't think there's anything wrong with more cars/drivers at the same time, I don't think anybody will be forced to have them enabled.
Rampage.
Michkov

Post by Michkov »

Maybe it would be possible to limit the cars based on which track you drive, so the track maker decides how many cars are best for the track.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Genuinely, if the sequel will go by such zoom as proposed above and with dozens of cars on road at once (usually shouts for 24 by those who tend to clone GR into a F1 MRO), it'd be just an average game like 12 of them are in a dozen (+/- a random feature), which I can see quite everywhere. And in that case I'm quite sure I'd not play that sequel like I don't play any of those games. The whole complete open landscape (and not just a boring zoomed corridor) is for me really the thing, what I enjoy in playing in this game and what differences it from many other games. Not to mention an equation ''more cars = more fun'' really is not truth, this game demonstrates it for a decade pretty well. But it's not up to me to shape the sequel, I cannot wait to see at least a frame summary of planned features or something like that (e.g. on the promised blog) like everybody else here.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I'm not objecting to having more cars. I'm objecting to the fact that I've been told that I want more cars xD TH is right, having more cars on the grid won't necessarily be more fun and could well just be incredibly annoying.
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

:iagree: Remaining the maximum number of cars may result to better backward compatibility of GR tracks using in the sequel and running more cars can end up in a mess, especially in RWL tracks if the top-down perspective from the original game will be still used (this might be mentined already ;) ) But, who knows....
bgcatfan

Post by bgcatfan »

I suppose that some of these changes (number of cars, number of objects, etc.) depends a large amount on James' and Markku's understanding of what the "spirit of generally" is (the intent to create a sequel while keeping the spirit of the original). Even though a large number of people may be requesting certain changes, ultimately James and Markku have the decision.

I am content with GeneRally the way it is now. But when changes are made, I will still be happy. Certainly, if James and Markku feel the need to create a whole new game to implement some changes, then I look forward to see what will take place. Certain changes and additions will open up new options for creativity as previous versions did. As far as car count goes, sometimes I wonder what would happen if there were a lot more cars, but for almost all practical purposes I'm content with keeping the car number about the same.

On a side note, I've always pretty much just been a racer (I only made tracks when horrible tracks were perfectly acceptable, back in 2002), so the looks of game have not mattered to me as much as how it drove (but it's still important). It's pure simplicity as an arcade (physics) top-style-down (view) good-looking game I never want to change. There's a reason I keep coming back 10 years later.

My :2c:
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I understand if some people don't want to race with more cars on the track. But will having that option really affect your enjoyment of the game?! I don't understand that, at all. Why should these people's opinion affect the choices offered to everyone else?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Because it'd change whole nature of the game IMHO. GR is arcade but in fact it greatly simulates real racing in its core like e.g. kart racing has (you need consistency though whole race, speed etc, if you will keep or improve your position, chase opponent or create gap, it's about racing where you care about tenths of each lap, because decide about the progress), not a silly arcade game with 20 cars on grid, which you'll overtake from last spot on grid within 3 laps without a resistance.

And now no. of cars - if you want keep the current way of race nature (which I prefer), you don't need more, because with 20 cars on track anyway you'd still race with just 3-5 (on top, in mid-filed or rear of field depending on skill), but all other cars on track would not interact into your race or contribute on fun in racing itself, so would be just useless cpu eaters. Rabinas knew it so used only what purely needed in the game but not a single bit more, this with number of cars is one of the parts creating the overall simple but extremely effective feeling.

If you want more and want to need more in racing itself, you need to change nature of entire game to other sort of much more arcade-style racing. Not to mention it'd change e.g. nature of tracks to have room there for those (not just layout width, but on screen - needed bigger tracks with a scrolling a la GTA1-2 or zoom as mentioned above or something).

So if sequel will have more than 6-8 cars on tracks it'll be either useless racing-wise or the sequel will loose some really important essence of fun of old game, I'm afraid.

bgcatfan is right about the James' and Markku's understanding of what the "spirit of generally", that's why I'm so impatiently waiting for the blog or so, because so far here's not much clues, what precisely they mean by the spirit. :-)
Glen

Post by Glen »

I agree to, and have an argument, :)

I already (with 6 cars) don't like to pay attention to cars than I'm overlaping, in real life they would let you pass.

Much more cars > longer tracks > bigger WS > smaller cars on the screen > requested feature : Eagle eyes!!!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I don't know about other people, but I'd have fun with more cars even with the current GR game and tracks...
marass

Post by marass »

I do not want more than 6 cars, because then it loses "generally spirit" as it mentioned above.
Only thing, what will be good, but I do not know if not mentioned yet. Bigger LMap will be great, because I think, 512x512 is quite little.
Martin B. - CZRT racer
Best Czech rookie in January 2014
Last tracks: SnowHill [stc], part of JEA 24 [ral], Ruta [cir]
Last misc.: Wacky wheels sounds
WIP: Ingliston [rwl] [cir] (5%), AirChaos [cir] [tpk?] [ovl]