GeneRally 2 feature request list

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
1nsane

Re: Official GeneRally feature request list

Post by 1nsane »

FRUKIScze wrote:
puttz wrote:Here's one for the track makers: Shorter wall segments. The wall sections at the length they are now can be really annoying when making tighter corners.
:iagree: Short Concrete wall will be great additional to trackeditor
A better way to implement this and all of the other walls would be to make them stretchable. So the track creator has the possibility to drag the objects from some of the pre-chosen sides to make the wall longer or shorter. This way instead of having to put a gazillion walls on a straight you could put just one wall. And for the tighter corners you could mold the shape more freely by shrinking the length to a (set) minimal value.

Obviously this might be a harder one to implement code-wise, so it would be better to maybe think about it after 1.0 version was released.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

1nsane wrote:And for the tighter corners you could mold the shape more freely by shrinking the length to a (set) minimal value.
Better option would be to set a bending of the one stretchable longer wall by bezier curves in such corners than use of tiny of segments in minimal value. :cool2:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

But please, in any case (regardless if there are walls of certain sizes or bezier curves), make it based on "values" (so that there is some possibility to adjust not only by mouse cursor, but also by entering different numbers somewhere) :)

Btw Qurpiz's idea also sounds great :yummy:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Trigger Happy wrote:
1nsane wrote:And for the tighter corners you could mold the shape more freely by shrinking the length to a (set) minimal value.
Better option would be to set a bending of the one stretchable longer wall by bezier curves in such corners than use of tiny of segments in minimal value. :cool2:
True, that could work too. That is, if there's the skill to actually implement it. I can already see the amount of coding needed to make it work. :P
XYY wrote:But please, in any case (regardless if there are walls of certain sizes or bezier curves), make it based on "values" (so that there is some possibility to adjust not only by mouse cursor, but also by entering different numbers somewhere) :)
True. When clicking the placed object you could have a specific "properties" area, which shows all of these available modifiers. The list could also have the xy coordinates, length, etc fields.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Well, SnakeDitor uses Bezier curves to many purposes, so incorporating such thing into a new TE wouldn't be that difficult and for the objects, I don't know, but I believe James and co. are able to do such thing. :-)
RudyOosterndijk wrote:
Scholl wrote:Something I just came across.
I hope it hasn´t been mentioned so far:
Adjustable fuel-refill- and tire-change-speed. Slow refilling and tyre-changing can have an important effect on the race strategy.
Definitely! I have just written about that in the context of PGR F1.
And sorry to quote older posts, but I believe actually fuel-refill-speed is already present, depends on fuel mass (test speeds of refilling with 1kg fuel mass and 100 kg). Also tire-change-speed is a bit variable, depends how well driver stops (off the place, if will hit a crew member, accelerate too early etc). Rather option to set number of pit members (e.g. between 4 to stop like a nascar feel and current 8) would be interesting for me. :yummy:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Trigger Happy wrote:Well, SnakeDitor uses Bezier curves to many purposes, so incorporating such thing into a new TE wouldn't be that difficult and for the objects, I don't know, but I believe James and co. are able to do such thing. :-)
But it would have to work a bit differently in the built in track editor. I'm assuming SnakeDitor uses the predefined object "chunks" to calculate the curves. But for it to work on the built in editor so it doesn't use these chunks with set lengths it would have to actually mold the shape on the fly, checking that the texture is properly stretched and some parts (such as vertical poles on fences) would repeat on a proper interval would have to be done in the code. But if it did use the "current" way, then yes it wouldn't differ much from SnakeDitor.

Which actually brings me to another suggestion for the track editor. Snap to last/some object's edge. So if you wanted to, for example, put some stands right next to each other, or manually make the walls, you could snap the edges together and rotate the object around the snap point instead of the middle of the current object.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Most likely not a new idea, but I'd like to see in future a wooden fence with vertical wooden planks (which is the common solution of house-fencing) as a variant to current with vertical horizontal planks, which brings rather feeling of fences around grazings. :)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Trigger Happy wrote:Most likely not a new idea, but I'd like to see in future a wooden fence with vertical wooden planks (which is the common solution of house-fencing) as a variant to current with vertical planks, which brings rather feeling of fences around grazings. :)
Vertical planks instead of vertical planks? ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Thanks, fixed. :) Those direction words ..... I'll make a note to not talk about these things anymore.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Here's an idea for the new GR, have the AI values of the AI next to their names so that you know what their skill is. I have tons of various AI, and half the time I'm not sure how good they are :P
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
puttz

Post by puttz »

You know, I just thought of something that could be useful: car objects. That would make it much easier for people to put cars in parking lots and infields and such.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
ChiliFan

Post by ChiliFan »

It'd be pretty useful if GeneRally 2 had built-in functionality for merging replays. And it'd be really cool if that had support for more than 6 cars, even if the actual gameplay stuck to the original 6. Trying to actually race with 12-16 cars would be really frustrating but with merged replays that wouldn't be an issue.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I'm not sure about the car limit because this mostly depends from the track size. Anyway I think that the maximum number should be 12. No more than that.
Gentlemens, start your engines!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I ask again: Why would anyone ever want there to be a "maximum number"? If you want to play with 12 cars, or 8 cars, or 2 cars, there's nothing stopping you. Why would you want to keep everyone else from playing with more?
I like short, simple signatures!
kuba

Post by kuba »

Because you have to handle maximum number of cars - when you create track you have to make grid position for each possible car. Also if there would be more than 20 cars on track at once it could be more destruction derby than racing.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Ah, destruction derby mode, that would be fun. :D
kuba

Post by kuba »

I'm not so sure, IAs would always win :)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Don't forget that the AI code will be new as well, so we don't know how it works yet.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

kuba wrote:Because you have to handle maximum number of cars - when you create track you have to make grid position for each possible car. Also if there would be more than 20 cars on track at once it could be more destruction derby than racing.
There's nothing stopping a trackmaker from placing less than the maximum number of starting positions. And if some people want to have something that's more like a destruction derby, well, they should be able to do that! I mean, Next Car Game is pretty fun, and that's pretty much what it is...
Paw

Post by Paw »

bduddy wrote:There's nothing stopping a trackmaker from placing less than the maximum number of starting positions.
Well, you would be upset, if you would start a 10-track championship with 20 cars only to realize, that the last track has 10 starting positions...
ACM

Post by ACM »

That's why we need filtering options when selecting tracks. i.e. only show tracks with >/< than/x amount of start positions.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Paw wrote:
bduddy wrote:There's nothing stopping a trackmaker from placing less than the maximum number of starting positions.
Well, you would be upset, if you would start a 10-track championship with 20 cars only to realize, that the last track has 10 starting positions...
Well, that problem exists in a lot of racing games, and people have gotten over it... maybe have a fallback solution, like place any extra cars directly behind the final starting position or something like that...
puttz

Post by puttz »

Here's an idea: When you miss checkpoints, instead of what it does now, when you hit the next checkpoint your speed gets limited for a certain amount of time. Or there could be an option in the menu for which you'd like to use, this or the classic way.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Hermes

Post by Hermes »

hi guys
I'm out of time and could not read all the answers and probably this suggestion should have been done, but without further ado here we go.

A system of marking time on the track divided into sectors as in F1 sectors 1, 2 and 3 and along with it the end of the session show turns were marked with the best partial and show what would be an "ideal lap" ... it will be interesting and could make it more accurately see where we need improvement in our sessions.

One more thing, background sounds in the main menu and a beep when we select the pilot and some track.

Now, a "crazy" ... A small speedometer on the screen. :D

bye guys and thanks for the effort in improving this game that i love so much! :bg:
(sorry for english)
sorry for my spelling mistakes
Eu me achei no colo do meu par (Banda do Mar) SONG
I found myself in the arms of my pair (free translated)
My stats in GWR (thanks Jo.sk)
Paw

Post by Paw »

I don't remember if it was proposed, but it would be cool to have the track "box" wider. In times, when widescreen displays are more and more popular, having square track leaves wasted space at sides. Having it wider than taller would use the display area better. Possibly as an option.