[cir] Rego

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Danador12

[cir] Rego

Post by Danador12 »

Good morning guys,
I worked on another circuit, still using the classical TE but I think it's better than the one I posted weeks ago. I hope you'll enjoy it. If you want to share some advices i'll be glad to listen to them.

P.S. It's so sad that i can work only with classical TE :sorry: :weep: :weep:

EDIT: Nowadays I can use GIMP so i'm using that. :mrgreen:

Rego is an old track created by a friend of mine a lot of time ago. He used a DJ console as a mouse so all the "curves" were squared indeed. The layout was similar but in his version there was 5 hairpin bend in all. His track is being lost during this years. I re-writed the track removing 2 hairpin bend, adding the chicane at the end and i changed some parts of details and i added all details of the world (in his version there was only tarmac and soft walls to separate the curves and straight) such as the bumping bubble on the last straight, the island with the survivors and the other details such as kerbing, finish line ecc.ecc.
The straight are very large, a choice to helps better duels.
Drive carefully after the pit lane because the last section of the track it's dangerous if undervalued.
I hope you'll have fun on Rego!

Feel free to modify the track, adding and removing whatever you want at condition that i want to see what you might do :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
That's the third and last version. I've corrected AI and placed hedge instead of bushes.
That's the third and last version. I've corrected AI and placed hedge instead of bushes.
Rego.rar
That's the download of the V3
(9.18 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
This is the evolution of Rego.
This is the evolution of Rego.
That's the first layout for Rego, the download is not this
That's the first layout for Rego, the download is not this
Last edited by Danador12 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kikwik

Re: [cir] Rego

Post by Kikwik »

It's great that you made another track. I don't know why you can't use the other softwares ; too difficult to use or any problems regarding them ?

For the track in itself, wow it's big ! Too big for me. The ones I particularly appreciate are those around worldsize 100. Of course doing that, all your objects will be bigger and moved away a little, but it may be funnier to drive on it.

Something I found funny is the island with people alone on it. It may seems completely misplaced or unnecessary regarding your track but it works for me. To have a theme, even a weird one like that or several themes together in a track is really cool, like having an OVNI in it. Some did it and it made quite a buzz even years later.

I like the bushes all along too, with red soft walls and white ones, good contrast, nice to the eyes. The booth at the corner hurts me just seeing it though, having soft walls or hay bales here may reduce unfortunate crashes and will give more safety to your track.

I feel there are too much stands too. I imagine that you wanted to fill the more possible the surroundings, and it's difficult doing that only with TE, but letting some empty places is great too. Lot of people fear the emptiness, but well used, in proper places, may change the aesthetic of your track.

Hope I helped you and feel free to tell us what's the problem with the other softwares. :)

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

As Kikwik said, let us know why you can't use external editors so we can try to help you with that.

To the track: it's actually quite fun. It's got a street track vibe with the stunt jumps and the jumps are a good thing - otherwise it'd be very basic. The track being wide brings me to the old times and I don't have a problem with the WS. I usually don't like narrow parts in wider tracks but here it works. I like the office buildings blocking the view a bit, just the right amount. And the small island with people is a lovely touch! :)

Then to the negatives: The AI could be better. I understand that with the jumps you can't have it going closer to the wall (I almost fell to the water in one of my jumps) but it could be smoother in for instance in the first corner. If you look at it in TE, you can see the sharper corner. Start making that line smoother further from the start straight. The pit position is also awkward in that the AI is forced to take quite direct route to the first one. Could be further down the straight. :scratch:

Finally, the starting positions are in the wrong order. This messes up the system a player is having. For instance, I like having points reversed starting order since it gives me more competition when I'm doing well in the championship. Now it made me start on the first place. :geek:

At any rate, you're doing nice progress. :up:
Danador12

Post by Danador12 »

Thank you for the support guys!!
Kikwik wrote: For the track in itself, wow it's big ! Too big for me. The ones I particularly appreciate are those around worldsize 100.
I am a huge fan of micro tracks :mrgreen: :mrgreen: this time i just wanted to try in this way, just to train.

Kikwik wrote: The booth at the corner hurts me just seeing it though, having soft walls or hay bales here may reduce unfortunate crashes and will give more safety to your track.
I wanted to create an easy first part, easy to drive and a second with more chaos, unpredictable that's why there is that very narrow part with the following jumping bubbles :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Imho, i like when during my races something strange happens :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kikwik wrote: I feel there are too much stands too. I imagine that you wanted to fill the more possible the surroundings, and it's difficult doing that only with TE, but letting some empty places is great too. Lot of people fear the emptiness, but well used, in proper places, may change the aesthetic of your track.
Yes,that's a little problem of my mind :D :D :D iin lots of my tracks wherever there is a long straight part i put stands and stands and more stands, actually, the idea of empty places fears me and it's bad. This is like a pause on music sheets, even those are part of the musical composition.

Kikwik wrote: what's the problem with the other softwares. :)
In the previous topic i explained very fast what's the problem. You sent me Comdlogg.dll with the instructions for the activation but even using that istruction the software doesn't run. On Landeditor i can't find the way to erase the template project. If i make a new project it gives me a preset tracks that i can't erase in anyway, importing my LMap it simply copy it on the preset one. On MS Paint i can work but once i put it on track editor it gives me the error i described, the same problem with the palette project you put there. That's strange, awkward. I wonder that's could be because my PC it's a 64-bit operating system? This should explain at least the problem with Comdlodgg.

Merged double reply from Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:20 pm:
TuomoH wrote:As Kikwik said, let us know why you can't use external editors so we can try to help you with that.
Yes, in the previous comment i tried to explain
TuomoH wrote: To the track: it's actually quite fun. It's got a street track vibe with the stunt jumps and the jumps are a good thing - otherwise it'd be very basic. The track being wide brings me to the old times and I don't have a problem with the WS. I usually don't like narrow parts in wider tracks but here it works. I like the office buildings blocking the view a bit, just the right amount. And the small island with people is a lovely touch! :)
Thank you for this <3
TuomoH wrote: Then to the negatives: The AI could be better. I understand that with the jumps you can't have it going closer to the wall (I almost fell to the water in one of my jumps) but it could be smoother in for instance in the first corner. If you look at it in TE, you can see the sharper corner. Start making that line smoother further from the start straight. The pit position is also awkward in that the AI is forced to take quite direct route to the first one. Could be further down the straight. :scratch:
Yes, i'm still working nowadays on AI, i erase and remake it a lots of time and i'm still working on it. For the pits, yes i'll working on it, i thought that's a good idea just to move pits forward so they can take the curve and then go to the pits. Thanks for the advice about how to shape curves on AI
TuomoH wrote: Finally, the starting positions are in the wrong order.
Yes, that's a joke i usually make. I like to add more casualties to starting order beyond the random starting order that you should choice in options. I often make this, or playing with distance between each star grid :mrgreen: :D :D :D
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

You may try using Gimp, I didn't read from you that you tried this software already, and also I can only praise you for your persistance about all this. :hattip:

With Gimp, it's simple : Export the bland green lmap from TE, open it with Gimp, go to "Dockable windows", "Palettes". You'll have the GR palette for you to use and you can make lot of great effect with the different brushes available. It's like MSPaint in fact, easy to grab the basics for beginners, and incredible for those who master it. For lmap I find it really great.

For Hmap, GRHMEdit is your new friend. I didn't read from you that you tested it already.

The other softwares are good too, but some like LandEditor are pretty old now, and Snake Editor is really complicated for beginners. MSPaint is good but don't offer enough for you to make good lmap.

Plus Gimp and GRHMEdit are easy to install. I think I never heard anyone who have complained about having problems on them.

Your track has a nice feeling, a nice vibe, and stunt tracks with jumps are too rare nowadays. Thanks again for this track and for your efforts. :)

Danador12

Post by Danador12 »

No, Kikwik! You are right! Now i'm using Gimp and it works! :bg:
I put the palette in dockable windows, i've just made a test and yes! Finally! If i work on gimp then i can open the LMap on track editor :goal: :goal:
So, in the next week i hope that there will be some improvement, maybe a new track. For the moment my idea is just to gain confidence with Gimp! Then i will download GRHMEdit.
Have you any advices, things that i need to know to make big improvement on Gimp? I'll be very happy to listen what you can teach me! :D
Glad to receive any advice

P.S. I made a little mistake, you haven't sent me comdlogg and a preset palette, it was another user :D :D
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Great to hear ! :bg:
P.S. I made a little mistake, you haven't sent me comdlogg and a preset palette, it was another user :D :D
Yeah, no problem about this. ;)

And sure, I can give you all my tips and tricks for Gimp. Here we go ! :goal:

Basic tips :

. To make textures real, on tarmac or other surfaces, you can use different kind of brushes for pen or pencil. It will give you nice effects, we call this technique "dithering" here.

. If you want to make a layout, use "Paths". It takes a little time to be accustomed with, but it's easy afterwards. Try CTRL and MAJ while creating paths, you'll discover some additional functions. After creating a path, you'll be able to "paint it". Make a very large white path for example. Then take again the same path you created (click on the eye when you're in "Paths" at the right to make it visible, then click on the path on your track using the Path tool), and paint it again, but less larger this time, and with tarmac color. You'll have a layout of tarmac with white lines all along. You can choose other colors of course, or repeat the same process to make interesting effects.

. You can add external textures to your track, like mud textures and so on with full colors. It will convert automatically into GR colors. Of course, if you choose blue textures, it will not appear blue obviously.

. Useful tools are the magic rod and selection by colors, as it allow to only select what you want. In "Selection", you may invert it, useful sometimes when you don't want to erase or paint on some parts of your track. It's like the layers tip I give just after in advanced tips, but easier to start with.

. Using CTRL or MAJ when you have the pen or pencil selected allows you to make straight lines. Try using these keypads when you select a tool, it will allow you lot of additional functions.

Advanced tips :

. Layers are really useful when you don't want to erase by mistake something you already done. But you have to convert you're bmp landmap to png one first (don't forget when you finished to convert it again in bmp). For example you have created this layout I was talking about just before, on an only grass field. Select the grass field (you can use selection by colors or the magic rod to do this, then go into colors, color into alpha, say yes, and the grass will disappear. Now you can add a transparent layer (go to Layers at the right and create one with transparency). Put the new layer below the previous one, and try to paint on the layout. It will not erase it ! You can add as many layers as you want this way. Really practical if you don't want to mess with what you've done. Of course, if you want to change something on a layer, remember to select it first.

. There is a fun thing to do with Gimp, "Gimpressionist" (go to "Filters", "Artistic", then choose "Gimpressionist"). But it's only available if you convert your picture into RVB colors. First, copy your GR palette using duplicate. It will be useful later. Next, you have to convert your track into RVB. Go into "Image" or "Picture", "Mode", then choose RVB. You can now use it to do crazy and nice effects to your track. When you've finished, you have to convert it again into Indexed colors, that said GR palette colors. Go into "Image" or "Picture", "Mode", then choose "Indexed colors". A window will appear. Choose "Use a personalized palette" and choose the GR palette you duplicated before. Warning ! You must untick the box "Remove all unused colors", as it will mess badly the palette, and when you'll want to export it into TE... Colors will be inverted it will be terrible.

I used some of those techniques particularly in "Hungry Sheep", one of my track. The mud layout was made with a path, grass and sheep's wool was made with Gimpressionist. Also in my most recent track, "CKE150" was made from a picture of a cookie I found on the internet, and made some final touches to make it more real in GR. The grass/mud used in my "Xplore Pack" was made using different brushes. And in my "Nano Tracks", I used sometimes all of the techniques I told you.

I don't remember anything else at the moment. Try the basic tips first. The more you will use it, the more you'll be accustomed with it. So have fun, and I'm waiting for your next creation(s). :bsmile:

FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

I like these kind of tracks. :yummy: It reminds me a lot my old track. I can already see quite a big improvements, good job Danador ! :bg:
Kikwik wrote:The booth at the corner hurts me just seeing it though, having soft walls or hay bales here may reduce unfortunate crashes and will give more safety to your track.
But I have to 100% agree with this :shy:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Danador12 wrote:Yes, that's a joke i usually make. I like to add more casualties to starting order beyond the random starting order that you should choice in options. I often make this, or playing with distance between each star grid :mrgreen: :D :D :D
I understand that for personal use. However, for me, those kinds of things annoy me to the extent that I may not keep a track even if it's otherwise good. ;)
Danador12

Post by Danador12 »

Oh, yes. That's clear TuomoH. I have to work on it more and yes, i should correct those little problems, such as booth for fruki, start grid. :bg:

Kikwik, thank you a lot for those tips and for the time you spent trying to help me! :mrgreen:
In the next days i will exercise very much on gimp using those tips and learning new things. If i have any problems or help request i will continue to write under this post, and when i'll finish to correct Rego i'll upload the new version. :meditate: :meditate: