[ral] [oth] Mount Dhume

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

[ral] [oth] Mount Dhume

Post by egamad »

After seeing Nielske's Fenix, I got a full dose of inspiration that resulted in this:
Mount Dhume
Length: 349 meters
WS: 170
Description: Many great drivers have met their end on Mount Dhume, but that was before GR featured invisible walls.

After I started making it, I knew I couldn't rest until I finish it, so I worked the last 6 hours almost non-stop. :rolleyes: I made a sketch in Paint and then added colours and retouched it in GIMP. The only objects beside starting positions are invisible walls and 4 pit crews. There is no hmap. Because the track is surrounded by walls AIs will most likely crash once in a while, especially when it gets crowded, so use slower vehicles or turn down the damage a bit in options.

EDIT: The track is of course for GR 1.10 1.10b and I think there should be no problems with different resolutions.
Also added the below discussed alternate version.

I hope you'll like it, and please leave a comment! :wave:
Attachments
Mount Dhume.zip
(117.49 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Mount Dhume B.jpg
Mount Dhume.jpg
Last edited by egamad on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [ral] [oth] Mount Dhume

Post by Mad Dan »

wow 6 hours? :D I envy your patience. I tried to make track for 1.10 few times but I just can´t make good layout :(.

It is original art idea :bg: though you could use stone or two in inside of few corners :scratch: but it isn´t big deal.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

the blue behind is water?
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Whoa, thanks for quick comments.

@Dan: Yep about 6 hours, some quick internet browsing pauses, a lunch break and a few toilet trips inbetween. :P I didn't put any stones because I really wanted this one to be without any objects (visible ones at least). I even tried to draw a tree instead of using an object for it.

@Ivo: It's supposed to be the sky with some fog you usually can see around mountains, but maybe I didn't quite nailed nail (my engrish sucky) it if you couldn't tell what it was. :? But in my defence it's a really high mountain, so nothing is visible behind it. :P
Last edited by egamad on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit My GeneRally site!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

well, I then don't get the perspective. or how can I see ski behind it, if I look on the hill from top (when I look into the volcano thing)? :)
:shrug:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Wonderful, just absolutely wonderful. I love seeing people doing something totally off-the-chart. :cool2:
egamad wrote:It's supposed to be the sky with some fog you usually can see around mountains, but maybe I didn't quite nailed it if you couldn't tell what it was. :?
Don't worry, when it comes to art, Ivo doesn't really discriminate between different things. ;) IMHO there's no question about the fact it's sky.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

TuomoH wrote:
egamad wrote:It's supposed to be the sky with some fog you usually can see around mountains, but maybe I didn't quite nailed it if you couldn't tell what it was. :?
Don't worry, when it comes to art, Ivo doesn't really discriminate between different things. ;) IMHO there's no question about the fact it's sky.
I first thought that it should be some kind of water, the ocean or similar.
Anyway, I think there's a bit too much oil and tarmac, but not enough "nature" (grass, mud, gravel, sand, ...) Otherwise it seems to be quite good ;)
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

@TuomoH: thanks, I feel the same way when someone posts an unusual track. :goodvibes:

@XYY: It's too high for any mud or sand, gravel is too messy to use in such case and I have put grass on all even remotely flat surfaces. And the reason there is so much oil is because I made a sketch with oil at first, so everything is outlined..

I have made a very detailed and accurate 3D to 2D projection to show the other side of the Mount Dhume that might help with the sky issue. Unfortunately some of the detail got lost when I scaled the picture from 80.000x50.000 pixels to 800x500. :shake:
Attachments
Mount DhumeX.JPG
Visit My GeneRally site!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

but I still don't understand, how we can see one mountain from top (from sky to inside of crater) and at same time to see sky behind it at same time. Or you didn't mean it with ''realistic'' perspective? :)

Edit: Or the blue behind mountain is the fog and I look on the fog from top and under the fog is ''hidden'' land again?
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

i agree with ivo, and i think the issue with the fog effect is complicated further as it ends so abruptly directly behind the mountain if i understand you correctly. I thought it was water too, with the hidden mountainside dropping down into it, il pretend this is still the case :D

otherwise its alright, i like the drawing style with the oil :bg:
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Ivo Porč wrote:Edit: Or the blue behind mountain is the fog and I look on the fog from top and under the fog is ''hidden'' land again?
That's what I was aiming for. But as it clearly bothers a lot of people, tell me if the next picture makes more sense..
Attachments
Mount Dhume B.jpg
Visit My GeneRally site!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

both makes sense, just I needed to understand it. I guess same for all other guys. :)

However if you wish to make alternative version, I'm not against. :D
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I actually like the original, it's very close to what I intended when I started it (most of the time my ideas evolve along the way, so the end result is very different from the original idea). I just don't want to post something that makes absolutely no sense. Just because I didn't notice the oddity doesn't mean it's not there.. sometimes we just see what we want to see, that's why it's good to have more opinions. I don't pretend that I don't make mistakes, so if you guys feel a new version is needed, I'll at least think about it. :misch:
Visit My GeneRally site!
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

I have to say we had a very interesting and LONG discussion about the perspective with Ivo. ;) But maybe with this track I looked at it through the artist lenses whereas many others here have looked at it through mechanic's lenses (no offence intended). :D

I absolutely adored the original version but I love the new screenshot a lot too. :)
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

After looking at the original pic for a while I realized how the fog is supposed to work, but the newer version is, not only easier to understand but also looks much better. But still the infield bugs me, to me it looks like there is a gorge between the driveable roads. That isn't very realistic, I think. (well, the whole idea of racing on mountains isn't very realistic either, but still...) To me it would've looked better if the infield was on same height level with the roads, or would've been maybe even better if it was higher? :scratch: ;)

Anyway, it looks just marvelous, looks like an actual real painting, made with some special style. Often beautiful looking tracks come with a price in drivability but I was surprised to find out that it's great to drive as well. The slippery surface makes for a good variety from the usual :bg:
Primeracer

Post by Primeracer »

6 hours... really something a skilled designer for this. To me, it´s impressively fast! ? Indeed a impressive artwork. I done a 12,67 lap with a rally car, suprisingly interesting layout, shor but interesting.
Try other tracks by myself: Agrestina -Tristar - Petra
nielske
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by nielske »

Glad I could inspire this! Nice track

And there was never any doubt in my mind that it was supposed to be fog. It actually kind of looks like that when you stand on top of a mountain on a day you shouldn't have been climbing.
// My old tracks (2003-2010) | My new tracks (2011-2012) //
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

Wow!! again the art, like-minded as Fenix.

6/5! :bg: I love Mount Dhume and Fenix.

p.s. Hey, egamad and nielske.. Are you artists? Or mere geniuses? :misch:
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Ms... wrote:p.s. Hey, egamad and nielske.. Are you artists? Or mere geniuses? :misch:
No, just trackmasters... :cool2:
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Words can't even describe this track's fierceness!!! :faint . I really haven't seen something like this.
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Bunchies

Post by Bunchies »

egamad wrote:I actually like the original, it's very close to what I intended when I started it (most of the time my ideas evolve along the way, so the end result is very different from the original idea).
I totally understand your viewpoint. The mountain just feels a little "quieter" and certainly much higher in the sky. There's probably a certain feeling attached to it that you want to show.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Sorry for the bump everybody, but I finally got around to updating Mount Dhume to v1.10b (see the first post). I also added the alternate version to the zip file. :bg:
Visit My GeneRally site!