Joint Effort Tree - a slightly different Joint Effort

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Joint Effort Tree - a slightly different Joint Effort

Post by egamad »

I've been playing with this idea for some days now, and I'd like to present it to you. Maybe it'll even catch on.
Joint Effort Tree
What is this?
The Joint Effort Tree is basically a joint effort trackmaking project where 15 different people create 8 tracks in one big project. :ghug:

How would it go down?
One person makes one of four squares of a track and sends it to 2 people. Those 2 then each pick a square, finish it and send the now half finished track each to another 2 people. The procedure is the same for them, finish another square and send their tracks each to 2 different people. Those 8, who have the last square, also make FTs and send their tracks to the Joint Effort Tree coordinator, who then releases them as a trackpack.
Of course the unfinished tracks aren't publicly accessible in the process, so each square is completely individual, isolated from other branches of the Tree.
For better understanding please see the attached picture. :cool2:

Why is that different from the original JE?
At the end of each project, we will have 8 different tracks from 15 people (1+2+4+8) with many similarities. Not even 2 tracks will be the same but they will all have at least one or more squares in common. We could see a lot of unexpected changes and variations, which should be very interesting. We could see never before seen trackmaker combinations. :shhh:

Are there any rules?

1) Before the start of a new project 15 people have to sign up for it by leaving a reply in this thread.
1.1) If there are more volunteers than there are free places, the excess of participants are listed as reserves.
1.1.1) If the reserves do not get a chance to participate in the current project, they are automatically in queue for the next one.
2) After all places have been taken, project coordinator assigns all participants to one of 4 stages of production however he deems it appropriate.
3) Whenever a square is finished, it's autor must send the files to the project coordinator only. No screenshots or actual files may be posted on the forum.
3.1) The project coordinator forwards the files on to the next participants after he reviews them.
4) After all stages of production are completed, the project coordinator releases a JETPack - trackpack with all finished tracks.
4.1) By taking part in this project, all participants allow their tracks to be released in a trackpack, which can be freely distributed on the forum.
5) If you do not finish your square in 3 days, you will be warned. If you still do not finish it in the following day, it will be given to someone else and you will not be permited to participate in the next JET project.
5.1) If it is your turn to make a square, and you know you will not be able to finish it in time for any reason, notify the project coordinator immediately to ensure that the project runs as smoothly as possible.

6) As a guideline on creating quality squares, please see A Rough Guide To Making Quality Tracks by Crowella.

Great, where do I sign?
Basically, we need 15 people to sign up for this project. Just leave a post where you say you'd like to participate. No "bottom right"-like posts are needed, as you can decide for yourself which square to take when it's your turn.

Once started, the project should advance very quickly, as all the work is divided among a lot of participants who work simultaneously, each required only to make 1 square.
As a note, more experienced trackmakers are suggested to start, and it would be optimal to have better trackmakers spread through all the phases, so at least one version will be a top-notch job. But we'll come to that later.

I hope you like the idea and that we can start ASAP. You can also discuss the project in this thread. :yummy:
Attachments
scheme.jpg
Last edited by egamad on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Hiken17

Re: A slighty different Joint Effort

Post by Hiken17 »

looks very interesting :yummy: , i want to be in :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

That's an interesting idea, though it needs lots of people to make it work.

I guess I could participate :)
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

AleksiNir wrote:That's an interesting idea, though it needs lots of people to make it work.

I guess I could participate :)
Have faith, the force is strong. :meditate:

Seriously, considering how many active or semi-active trackmakers we have on the forums, getting 14 people to take part shouldn't really be a problem, or at least I hope so. :bsmile: And besides, we only need 12 more. :P
Visit My GeneRally site!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Sounds interesting but you should really care about this project and best way how to do so is to contact these people by PM ;).

I think I can try this :). Though I hope I´m considered as experienced trackmaker :D.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Fantastic idea. I'm in. If possible could I make a piece at stage 2?

As an afterthought, would it be possible to 'draw' where trackmakers paticipate?
Last edited by Martyn on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I'm interested too :)
Mr.J

Post by Mr.J »

This idea is superb. :bg:

I think the same as I believe Dan is thinking that you should hand-pick the creators to make truly fantastic tracks. :scratch:
Just an idea. :roll:
Aviazione 1st in ToM September 2011
Proud driver ofECOlogic Racing Team
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Also, who would do the finishing touches?
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
OlafK

Post by OlafK »

Excellent idea, count me in :) I haven't made a track for ages, but now with the new GR (which I can finally play) I have motivation :)
Cristiano Bohessef

Post by Cristiano Bohessef »

Great idea, I would like to be in too :bg:
ECOlogic Racing Team
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Great, we already have 7/14 participants:
maxi17, AleksiNir, Dan Hakulín, Martyn, XYY, OlafK and Cristiano Bohessef (do I count you in too, Mr.J?)
Martyn wrote:Also, who would do the finishing touches?
The people, who will make the last square also make the FTs. Or what do you guys think? Should there be the 16th participant to do all the FTs? Or should the person who did the first square also do all the FTs?
Dan Hakulín wrote:...contact these people by PM ;).
What exactly do you mean by that?
Last edited by egamad on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit My GeneRally site!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I meant that when everybody makes square they should tell you by PM to whom they send it. And they should send the piece to you too. Just for you to be sure that people are working and who is in this project. Though I don´t know how exactly you are going to moderate this project ;). Just ideas

EDIT: It seems you´ve hit the nail by this project :bg:.
Last edited by Mad Dan on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.J

Post by Mr.J »

egamad wrote:do I count you in too, Mr.J?)
I'll give it a shot. :scratch:
Aviazione 1st in ToM September 2011
Proud driver ofECOlogic Racing Team
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Ok, Mr.J, you're in. ;)

@Dan: I was thinking to post the working order in this thread and let people pass tracks on themselves, but you're probably right, I should supervise this more closely. :geek: I'll update the first post with this rule when we'll be ready to start.
Visit My GeneRally site!
ACM

Post by ACM »

Would I be allowed in?
Areen

Post by Areen »

Add me too ;] It will be interesting challenge :D
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

If there is such a run, you might think about 3x3 tracks :D
preetzertrain

Post by preetzertrain »

A very interesting idea egamad =)

I will take part

@XYY: I hope your suggestion was no serious one (just think of the amount of trackmakers we would need)
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

please egamad draw a image like the first one but with the nouns placed, so we all know who should we send our squares ;)
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

sounds good, i'm in!
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

@Preetzer: No, this wasn'T serious at all :D
But it seems that your project is very liked, maybe we could do it not only once but in future too (of course we have to finish the 1st before :D )
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

12 people already signed up:
maxi17, AleksiNir, Dan Hakulín, Martyn, XYY, OlafK, Cristiano Bohessef, Mr.J, ACM, Areen, preetzertrain and Alonsomania.

Only 2 more needed to start (and possibly 1 more for the final touches).

@XYY: instead of 3x3 squares (for which 511 people would be needed :sweatdrop: ) the next logical step is adding another branch. So the tracks would be passed on to 3 people instead of 2, needing the help of 40 participants, which is still a lot (1+3+9+27=40). Let's start with the 2x2 template and we'll see how it goes. :)
Visit My GeneRally site!
OlafK

Post by OlafK »

I suggest passing tracks via PMs, nobody will know how other "branches" look and the result will be more surprising and varied, no inspiration :twisted:
Alex

Post by Alex »

I'm am definitely in. :bg:
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)