[rwl] [kar] Albi Kart Challenge

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Kikwik

[rwl] [kar] Albi Kart Challenge

Post by Kikwik »

Wait. [rwl] and Kikwik ? What's going on there ? :P

Well let's say I wanted to try my hands on making a real world track, a karting one especially, and it was worth the effort but oh my, how much effort went to this ! And it was only a WS140 track and not a WS200 or WS255 ! :scared:

But let me introduce Albi Kart Challenge, located in France, Tarn region.
logo-albikartchallenge-hd-transparent-300px.png
logo-albikartchallenge-hd-transparent-300px.png (59.22 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Aerial view
Aerial view
Drone view
Drone view
Albi Kart Challenge - In GR
Albi Kart Challenge - In GR
Albi Kart Challenge.zip
(62.55 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Updated - 06/04/2024 : Realized that there was a wooden fence in the pit area which didn't belonged there. :sweatdrop: I deleted it and reuploaded the track. Thanks to all who downloaded before.

Made for Real karts carpack, Cadet category especially, from GR member Karting, to be found in the GR Database.

If you want some insights, feelings and tips about the making of my first real world track, it's just below behind spoilers if you want to read a little and want inspiration or encouragement if you want to try your hands on rwl tracks too. :)

Feel free to comment and wish you happy karting ! :goodvibes:

Why my spoiler don't work ... ? :ouch:

[spoiler]The idea, the project and the big splash into the real world track making
First I had a clear idea in mind ; making a real world kart track because it's mostly flat, it's smaller than real circuits and there's a dire need of more high quality rwl kart tracks.

So I searched for some of them like Le Mans or Spa or even this crazy Dubai kartodrome but I wanted something simple and small to begin with. Better to finish something than beginning something too complex and never finish it.
Near my place there's Albi, known for its circuit, and there was a nice kart track in there so I chosed this one.
I took some aerial pics (thanks Google Maps), another more detailed pic (a drone one) and I watched a cockpit drive of the track to gather even more details.

I searched inspiration on GRIF too, with Maciej1's wonderful karting tracks, Glen's trick to make lmap cars especially, using cars from Lorenzo and Masa.

With those informations I was ready to start trackmaking.

Layout
Thanks to the aerial pic I was able to draw the layout with Gimp. I made the exterior lines (white line and tarmac line of 1 pixel large each. Some dithering on tarmac with one of my favorites brush : Grunge. The most tedious and long was to clean the lines (they're a little too big in Gimp with 1 pixel large) and to precisely put the starting lines as well. No Hmap as it's flat as a flat ironing board.

Environment
Very long and sometimes tedious to do but at the end it add all its charm to the layout. It really helps to have the aerial view to place precisely all the different elements of the surroundings, while the drone pic helped me to choose what kind of objects to use to represent these in Track Editor.

The drone pic really helped too knowing elevations and so to create Hmap with GRMHEdit. I was lucky there as there wasn't a lot of Hmap around.

Snake Editor is your savior for those sunk tires (those damn sunk tires ! had to remake them at least 3 times :weep: ), fences and curbed walls ; there's a bit of a learning curve but once you understand how to place objects it's fantastic how it's precise and well made. It can still be long though, but at the end the results are worth the efforts. Be careful to save it properly or you'll not have Hmap or have the starting layout of SnakeEditor, or pits in the middle of your track.

For dithering in grass, mud, dirt etc same Grunge brush but I also like Sponge brush to make a more dispersed but still similar effect.

For the cars I play the track with a chosen car, put it in the desired place and take a screenshot. I copy the car and place it on my track in the same place to keep perspective, while reducing its size. Have to pixel draw to make a good lmap car but worth the effort again.

AI lines can be a little plainful to create but it's try and retry ; if the AI is cutting the corners, do the AI line further, and if the AI is too generous with you and corners, leaving a big space for you to overtake them, put it closer to corners. No need to redo all the AI line too luckily, as you can navigate along the line and delete what you want.

Final thoughts
Very happy of the result, and quite proud to had made a real world track in GR even if it's (only) a karting track, as it's quite a challenge with the limited number of objects at our disposal, the limited palette colors too.

So if I can do it, everyone can do it, with a bit of patience and planning. :goodvibes:

It took me a little more than 2 days of freetime to create it.

Softwares used
Gimp (for Lmap), GRMHEdit (for Hmap obviously), TrackEditor (for AI lines, checkpoints, objects placement) and SnakeEditor (for objects placement exclusively)[/spoiler]
Last edited by Kikwik on Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
Txizzle

Re: [rwl] [kar] Albi Kart Challenge

Post by Txizzle »

Fun track to spin around, also one of the few cases I can think of that now has both the big circuit and the inner kart circuit in GR now. :)
To finish first, first you have to finish!
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks Txizzle, glad that you have fun with it !

You're right about the combo big circuit and kart track, as there were only 2 cases before ; Spa and Brainerd.

So 3 now with Albi. Very few indeed ! :)

Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

Do you know where I can find the Brainerd tracks? I know I have one, probably the biggest one, but I know only one of them.

---

Quickly looked it up on Google Maps, is the other one a drag strip? I don't see them mention the other one I know, maybe it no longer exists?
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Just there :

Real Life Tracks List

Search for Brainerd in North America and you'll stumble across 2 versions of the same big circuit from Aeon and Kory Miller, and the kart version from Kory Miller again. The kart version of the track is located on Google Maps in the center of the big track, just at the left of BIR Driving School.

If you have other questions like those, best to send a PM : I'll answer to all of them the best I can. :)

Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

Found where I went wrong, apparently there's 2 different locations, the one I found is a drag strip in Georgia. My bad.
CraapyTracks

Post by CraapyTracks »

Loved! The kerbs look and feels different, somehow? I really liked!
Im still playing with those super fast cars, and it is an awesome challenge to beat times on these tracks. Awesome job, as always! Cheers mate!
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thank you ! :goodvibes:

Kerbs were made with Gimp, manually. Maybe that's why it looks different ? Why it feels different I don't know though, as I didn't apply any Hmap on them. :sweatdrop:

Glad you like it. :)

Aeon
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Aeon »

I suspect real world kart tracks are much more suitable for GeneRally than full-size tracks, since the kart tracks are already designed close to GeneRally’s scale. That means all the corners work the way they were designed to.
Aeon's Advance Series Tracks
You can do whatever you want with my tracks, just give me credit please. (I like to check in once in a while and see if anyone is doing anything interesting with my stuff!)