[mic] [oth] [tpk] op:ART

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

[mic] [oth] [tpk] op:ART

Post by TuomoH »

Today it's been exactly 10 years since I discovered the gem that is GeneRally. To celebrate that, here's my latest offering, a track pack called op:ART.

These four tracks are based on works of the Op Art movement. In this tradition, all of these tracks contain some sort of motion illusion. I chose these works on the basis that they seem to work quite nicely even with the GR palette, and if possible, even when the racer is in motion.

The tracks have been created for the original Mini.

WARNING: THESE TRACKS CONTAIN MOTION ILLUSIONS WHICH MAY CAUSE DIZZINESS OR NAUSEA IN SENSITIVE PLAYERS.
IF YOU FEEL DIZZY, STOP PLAYING IMMEDIATELY!
Attachments
opart.jpg
rotasnakes.jpg
chess.jpg
opart.zip
(59.88 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [mic] [oth] [tpk] op:ART

Post by Crowella »

Nice idea here. I didn't start to feel a bit sick until I started focusing on the optical illusion artwork and wasn't driving around leaving skid marks everywhere. :rofl: The illusion depth didn't work until I really focused on them in any case and that's a difficult thing to focus on when racing. ;)

These abstract circuits leave me in an odd place to comment. They aren't bad at all. I liked racing on the chess and hatpin. The circuit in both of them was identifiable right from the start. Was a bit of manic fun so I just focused on hot lapping instead. :)

The grid proved the biggest concern to me. If you are going to race on it, look carefully for the tips of the movable cones buried in soft walls. It wasn't the easiest thing for me to spot and I couldn't feel comfortable. I spent too much effort focusing on objects rather than on the racing (and the illusion).

I like them. Not as headache inducing as I thought but still some fun to be had. The kind of experimental tracks I would expect only from you :D
View my archived circuits/cars here
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Crowella wrote:Not as headache inducing as I thought but still some fun to be had.
So headache is required for the maximum fun? ;) Thanks a lot, Crowella. :)

Other comments?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

In evening I tried those, chess is my most favourite, but after playing my head really was little bit confused. :drunk:

Good try! :up:
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

This is a really great idea! The route itself is not that challenging. But the optical illusions make it more difficult to concentrate on the track. And that's what makes it (a little) challenging.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I don't really like grid, because it's very hard to see how the track goes and where you mustn't drive. I also think that you could have made more from Rotasnakes, now it's just a plain tri-oval with some banking. :| Next, I can't seem to get comfortable with chess, although I found it very strange that I was faster than the Mini AI driving a Mini then if I took the formula. :shock:
And I like Hatpin a lot. :bg:
Speaking about the illusions and scenery, Grid is surely the best. I didn't really consider the effect at chess to be great, for me it just looked like red squares with lines around them, although I think I know what you intended to do there. Rotasnakes :shrug: nice texture, but not really confusing me, sorry, and I also think that the persons at top-right look strange. And Hatpin? quite nice, also not really confusing, but if I see that right, how did you make the different red colours? Is it because of the hmap or is it only because of the illusion? Or am I too tired now? :sleeping:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Thanks for the comments, mates. :)
XYY wrote:I don't really like grid, because it's very hard to see how the track goes and where you mustn't drive.
I know it's hard, you should've seen the first the version without the movable cones. :rofl:
XYY wrote: I also think that you could have made more from Rotasnakes, now it's just a plain tri-oval with some banking. :|
Perhaps, perhaps. It was the first layout I made so I was still concentrating more on the looks. The people are an experiment. :D
XYY wrote:I didn't really consider the effect at chess to be great, for me it just looked like red squares with lines around them, although I think I know what you intended to do there.
For my eyes the waving flag illusion is the strongest of them all.
XYY wrote:And Hatpin? quite nice, also not really confusing, but if I see that right, how did you make the different red colours? Is it because of the hmap or is it only because of the illusion? Or am I too tired now? :sleeping:
I'm inclined to say that it's the illusion. :D

More opinions?
Emil Patanen
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Emil Patanen »

Very nice idea with these tracks, Tuomo.

Hatpin is very funny to drive on, it is my favourite, even though it doesn't cause any illusions to me. I don't even have any idea what kind of illusion it should be producing :? Chess is also funny to drive on and it also causes some illusion to me. Strongest illusion is caused by Grid, but I don't like those soft walls. The illusion of grid even distracts my driving little. Like others have already said, rotating snakes isn't very exciting to drive on, but the illusion works there always, though :)
Latest releases:
Tracks: [ovl] Riabate | [cir] Yeavy | [mic] [ovl] Xandom ||| More at My Website
Cars: [cpk] Update of Original GeneRally Cars by Emil
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Thanks, Emil. :) At Hatpin you should see a pulsing movement, the pins going inwards and outwards in a rapid fashion.

Other thoughts?