[stu] Circus Saliens

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Church Punk

[stu] Circus Saliens

Post by Church Punk »

Hello car lovers,

This is my very first post, so hello :D

I present to you my first track. I created a draft like 7-8 years ago, when i didnt have much time because of the Uni studies and such. It was a sloppy work, but now that i had some time (and picked up again with the fun that is this game), i decided to refine my old idea to make it something enjoyable.

Is a long track ( about 60 secs with the stock autos) but i suggest you download some Fast&Furious car packs to get the most out of it x)

If im missing anything pls remind me. I read the handbook for uploading tracks, but i might have forgotten something :p
Attachments
Preview
Preview
cs jump.jpg
Circus Saliens.zip
Main Track
(26.73 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Last edited by Church Punk on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [cir] [stu] Circus Saliens

Post by TuomoH »

Welcome to the forums. :wave: For a first track it looks very good, and it's nice to get different kinds of tracks. But this certainly isn't a [cir] which refers to a closed formula 1 type circuit. ;) [stu] is well enough. :cool2:
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

The layout and the track itself is pretty interesting and challenging, yet the curvature at the front edge of the crossroad jump seems kind of weird and awkward to me.

But just like Tuomo has said, it is nice to have a new [stu] track released here, since these kind of circuits are essentially rare in comparison to other types. :)
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I must say I had quite some problems with this track. First off, the game wouldn't show it on the list of tracks, which has never happened to me before. I renamed it to just "CircusSal.trk" and that fixed it... weird. :?

Then I started the track, and it was completely unplayable to me because of cut off edges and very low view angle. I had to change track properties, if I wanted to play it, so after some trial and error I settled on view angle 52 and zoom 100. Phew..all this trouble before I could even test the track properly. :ill:

Now about the track itself. I always love to see these geometry-type tracks, especially since no one makes them anymore. I drove with General and I have to say I had trouble jumping the second jump (between checkpoints 4 and 5). I almost always landed on the roof, which is quite annoying. Other jumps were OK for me. Also I think it's awesome how you put those speed limiters, good job. :bg:

This track is built around an idea, I can appreciate that, but how good this idea is executed, this gives the real appeal to a track. So first thing I'd do is to try to polish the jumps, as they are the main feature of this track. Next I would add some crazy lmap detail on the road, like you did with those road markings, but taking it even further, using different colours and patterns. The track is pretty unrealistic already, I think a few more details would even strenghten this track's character. ;)
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

egamad wrote:I must say I had quite some problems with this track. First off, the game wouldn't show it on the list of tracks, which has never happened to me before. I renamed it to just "CircusSal.trk" and that fixed it... weird. :?

Then I started the track, and it was completely unplayable to me because of cut off edges and very low view angle. I had to change track properties, if I wanted to play it, so after some trial and error I settled on view angle 52 and zoom 100. Phew..all this trouble before I could even test the track properly. :ill:
That is odd, as I did not encountered the problems you have mentioned. My track list showed it as "CIRCUS~1" ;)
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

DuklaLiberec wrote:
egamad wrote:I must say I had quite some problems with this track. First off, the game wouldn't show it on the list of tracks, which has never happened to me before. I renamed it to just "CircusSal.trk" and that fixed it... weird. :?

That is odd, as I did not encountered the problems you have mentioned. My track list showed it as "CIRCUS~1" ;)
Me too. But I musted to change zoom. In 5:4, I can't see edge of the track, but I changed it to 90, and now it's working.
Btw. Nice track.
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Church Punk

Post by Church Punk »

DuklaLiberec wrote:... yet the curvature at the front edge of the crossroad jump seems kind of weird and awkward to me.
I agree with you here :p

I had to deal with pixels and i didnt bother to "even them out" sinse they are in diagonal position, hence the "pixalated" cut. I till try to look into a more elegant way to blent them together tho, thanks for bringing that up.

Thats very odd indeed, I have the name of the track appear like the others, truncated with the ~1...
egamad wrote: Now about the track itself. I always love to see these geometry-type tracks, especially since no one makes them anymore. I drove with General and I have to say I had trouble jumping the second jump (between checkpoints 4 and 5). I almost always landed on the roof, which is quite annoying. Other jumps were OK for me. Also I think it's awesome how you put those speed limiters, good job. :bg:
Hmmm, do the AI drivers do the same jump? BTW which "roof" are you refering to? The top of the last gate? Bots on my laptop run under the gates :/
egamad wrote:This track is built around an idea, I can appreciate that, but how good this idea is executed, this gives the real appeal to a track. So first thing I'd do is to try to polish the jumps, as they are the main feature of this track. Next I would add some crazy lmap detail on the road, like you did with those road markings, but taking it even further, using different colours and patterns. The track is pretty unrealistic already, I think a few more details would even strenghten this track's character. ;)
You mean different colors like magic pink or "hurt my eyes" green? I want it to be silly, but not that much :p.

Merged double reply from Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:04 pm:
TuomoH wrote:Welcome to the forums. :wave: For a first track it looks very good, and it's nice to get different kinds of tracks. But this certainly isn't a [cir] which refers to a closed formula 1 type circuit. ;) [stu] is well enough. :cool2:
Thanks, i thought [cir] was for a track that runs the same path over and over again... then i thought "then every single track would be a circuit..." xD. My bad, fixed it already.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Church Punk wrote: Hmmm, do the AI drivers do the same jump? BTW which "roof" are you refering to? The top of the last gate? Bots on my laptop run under the gates :/
I was referring to the roof of the car. I get flipped around when I jump. :vsad:
Church Punk wrote:You mean different colors like magic pink or "hurt my eyes" green? I want it to be silly, but not that much :p.
When I first saw your track, I quickly saw a certain similarity with Spyr's tracks. So that's what I meant basically. If you don't want your track to appear "silly" (although I think Spyr's tracks are more cool than silly), you can always add more suble details with alternating tarmac colours. ;)
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!