[stc] [roa] [ovl] [tpk] Ville de Boites

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
SammieVL

[stc] [roa] [ovl] [tpk] Ville de Boites

Post by SammieVL »

*uses Google Translate to translate "city of boxes" (completely random word)*

NEW TRACK! It's named Ville de Boites, and it is located in France! Yes... and stuff... yeah...
There's a circuit, oval, and freeroam version of the track in the zip.

For this track, i thought the way it looked and the object placements were enough. I didn't want to dither it - then the roads would look the same (the tarmac2 and 1 are supposed to look different). They looked nice without it IMO. I mostly focussed on the object placement which really seems to stand out. Also, i tried to do most of the track TE-only. Except for a few things, it's made in only the track editor.
Boites.PNG
*tries to sound like the guy from the NFS4 track presentations*

This track is set in a French city, and it's quite a cool.. err, track. First in the town there are some 90-degrees sharp turns where you will need to watch out. After that, there's a long straight road that you can use, for a record time. Before entering the country-like part of the road, you'll encounter some hairpins. They have.. err, banks, so you can easily drive through them without braking... uhh, for a record time, yeah. The old part of road that you'll drive on after the hairpins is also quite hard to navigate through but easy since there's banks too. Then the track turns into a more normal piece of road. After the bridge, there's a few twisty straight parts and some walls you will need to avoid. For a record time. Or else you'll slam into a tree. Then slam on the brakes, to slide past the rotund and hit the finish, for, uhh, a record time.

How was my NFS4 presentator impersonation? :rofl: Ehh, nvm that. Here's the track download...
Attachments
Boites.zip
(71.12 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [stc] [roa] [ovl] [tpk] Ville de Boites

Post by AleksiNir »

It looks like a nice track, I really like the style of the track and the layout, but I have a couple of things to point out:

-the POV is kinda silly, I think that tracks always look the best when zoomed in as much as possible, and with as little sky visible as possible. This track succeeds very well at disobeying those principles of mine.
-the lmap has a distinctive lack of detail and polish. I'm not saying that it should be dithered, it looks nice without it, but for example the road markings are, to be honest, very poorly done.
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

AleksiNir wrote:It looks like a nice track, I really like the style of the track and the layout, but I have a couple of things to point out:

-the POV is kinda silly, I think that tracks always look the best when zoomed in as much as possible, and with as little sky visible as possible. This track succeeds very well at disobeying those principles of mine.
-the lmap has a distinctive lack of detail and polish. I'm not saying that it should be dithered, it looks nice without it, but for example the road markings are, to be honest, very poorly done.
The POV is different for the oval version - but i think it's too much zoomed in at that one. I don't really like to zoom in on tracks myself...

And the road markings, i thought they were pretty well though... well, for being done in TE then.

Well...

Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Don't do things like road markings in TE, that's a disaster waiting to happen (and it spoils a good track here). Also, you can dither with things other than T1/T2. :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

AleksiNir wrote:It looks like a nice track, I really like the style of the track and the layout, but I have a couple of things to point out:

Overall the track has very nice ''classic GR'' feeling, only cliffs suggest not only TE was used. And in case of such tracks I think a not entirely zoomed PoV is a must-be. :)

I like it very much, to me only the pedestrian bridge seems to be unnecessary. Also agree with Wouter, the road marking looks OK (symmetric, logical, clean), only sometimes a line is slightly longer than others, no big issue.
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

Lukeno94 wrote:Don't do things like road markings in TE, that's a disaster waiting to happen (and it spoils a good track here).
I really don't see how it's a disaster, in my opinion it worked out quite well.
Trigger Happy wrote:Overall the track has very nice ''classic GR'' feeling, only cliffs suggest not only TE was used. And in case of such tracks I think a not entirely zoomed PoV is a must-be. :)
Not only the cliffs, also the part on the right with the bricks.
Trigger Happy wrote:I like it very much, to me only the pedestrian bridge seems to be unnecessary.
Hehe, i tried that pedestrian bridge out instead of having a few ugly gates at the sides of the bridge, then never removed it.
Trigger Happy wrote:Also agree with Wouter, the road marking looks OK (symmetric, logical, clean), only sometimes a line is slightly longer than others, no big issue.
That's since, when i'm trying to continue at a part i stopped at (due to zooming in in the editor) i had to continue in some way.

Well...

Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

OK, in this case, the lines aren't a disaster, but they are a little wonky.
Glen

Post by Glen »

the name of the circuit damaged my eyes... please be carreful with google translate :)

otherwise nice track
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

Glen wrote:the name of the circuit damaged my eyes...
I translated "city of boxes" to French and translated the French text back to English and it was still "city of boxes".

What else should it be named?

Well...

FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Name is OK. Track looks great, but for me too narrow.
btw. This track is in your new Avatar, right?
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

FRUKIScze wrote:Name is OK. Track looks great, but for me too narrow.
btw. This track is in your new Avatar, right?
If it's narrow, i thought it would be good for a [roa].
Also, yes, it's my new avatar!

Well...

Von Mantov

Post by Von Mantov »

Hi Wouter!...i like it.. :bg:

if you will relase a version 2.0 of this i can suggest you:

-redesigns the Ai line..(on the top left the Ai go behind hedges)

-try a new PoV (Vangle 44 I believe that
when it makes use of HMAP it is better to lower the corner to facilitate the driving.. rotation 0...zoom 85) like the screen
(Remember that it is just my point of view

-the world size 155 (although you should reposition objects)

very good the hill shadows...
Attachments
Wouter.PNG
Last edited by Von Mantov on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
nielske
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by nielske »

Glen wrote:the name of the circuit damaged my eyes... please be carreful with google translate :)

otherwise nice track
Apart from the missing circumflex, I don't see what's wrong with it :shrug: Not that I 'get it', but from a grammatical point of view...
// My old tracks (2003-2010) | My new tracks (2011-2012) //
Glen

Post by Glen »

I would say "Ville en boite" sounds much better :) or "Boites de villes"