[rwl] [cir] Broadford

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

[rwl] [cir] Broadford

Post by Crowella »

Keywords: Broadford , Victoria, Motorcycle, Motorbikes, Circuit, Real, Crowella

Um...

I actually don't have much to say about this. It's a small motorcycle circuit in Victoria, Australia that occasionally does Formula Ford drives. There really isn't much more to add since I don't think too many people would have actually anticipated this circuit being made but it seems like in the real world it is a great little circuit and hopefully drives just as good for you in GR. Maybe the scenery was a bit of a challenge since it's got almost nothing on the infield.

The AI is best suited to Formula as usual but slightly adjusted so they race consistent with them and a variety of motorbikes made for GR.

Two variants included. Broadford (Standard Cars) and BroadfordM (Motorbike Grid).
Attachments
Broadford.zip
(145.03 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
broadford.jpg
View my archived circuits/cars here
Von Mantov

Re: [rwl] [cir] Broadford

Post by Von Mantov »

The track is expertly made ​​and reflects the reality ..
I could not tell anything about the HMAP because I saw it on google maps
but it is cured ...
everything looks good ...
if it is a little empty is not your fault ... it's a realworld track instill

Ai is good...only McTurbo go off the track in the curve at the top...all the other cars who i have tested are ok especially f1 cars

goodjob mate :bg:
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

Crowella, very good work! Track looks good, layout texture is very very cool :D
ALL TRACKS
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

this track is really good made. Great realistically/driveable.for me 4,8/5*
btw. what motorbikes did you use?
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Thanks everyone.
Von Mantov wrote:The track is expertly made ​​and reflects the reality ..
I could not tell anything about the HMAP because I saw it on google maps

Ai is good...only McTurbo go off the track in the curve at the top...all the other cars who i have tested are ok especially f1 cars
The HMap I got from someone I know who did a track day there and one really well taken photograph from the first corner. I would consider it as accurate as I was willing to get it. I could have made it higher but the cars feel like they were moving too much because of it (especially corner one).
YoNnie wrote:Crowella, very good work! Track looks good, layout texture is very very cool :D
Thank you :) The textures on the circuit, the grass and everywhere is all done in a similar way. I might have to post how I do it in a tutorial.
FRUKIScze wrote:this track is really good made. Great realistically/driveable.for me 4,8/5*
Thank you. :)

The Motorbikes I used are MoPower's MotoGP 2004. You can grab it below.
http://mopower.at/gr/cars.htm
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Crowella wrote:
FRUKIScze wrote:this track is really good made. Great realistically/driveable.for me 4,8/5*
Thank you. :)

The Motorbikes I used are MoPower's MotoGP 2004. You can grab it below.
http://mopower.at/gr/cars.htm
Thank you. But the psychics was terrible. It was drifting in every corner. I must to change it.
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

FRUKIScze wrote:Thank you. But the psychics was terrible. It was drifting in every corner. I must to change it.
Or be more gentle on throttle. :shhh:

Crowella: It's great! :bowdown:
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

OK, its a real life track, but HELL, driving this seems boring. The road is wide enough to drive through it without any challenge, and apart from the little hill on the left the HMap seems completely flat to me (i want bankings, but that's just me. And this is a RWL). Not saying it doesn't look good, it looks fine, but besides that, it's just boring.
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

WouterVL wrote:OK, its a real life track, but HELL, driving this seems boring. The road is wide enough to drive through it without any challenge, and apart from the little hill on the left the HMap seems completely flat to me (i want bankings, but that's just me. And this is a RWL). Not saying it doesn't look good, it looks fine, but besides that, it's just boring.
Interesting comment. I might have to go into defensive mode a bit here but I should explain a few things.

First off, yes, perhaps it's boring to race on. The real world and GR do not generally translate well and I can safely say this from experience. I actually find a lot of RWL GR tracks boring to be honest. You might notice that I didn't make it WS255 like most do but rather WS200 just to get some GR feel back into it. It was never going to be the best racing circuit to begin with but I have worked with the circuit I chose and decided realism over wackiness.

I could have exaggerated the HMap to go with it but firstly, it would not be an accurate representation which was what I wanted to achieve and secondly, consider what vehicles you use in game. Corner 1 is a perfect example. A very fast vehicle will probably bounce around heaps on the middle of the corner. I did my best to reflect that but not go overboard. I also tamed down the hills on the back straight since I could hear the original Formula car getting airborne. If you feel the circuit is completely flat, please remove my HMap, make it flat and try racing it again. You will find corners 1, The esses and the last corner will feel quite different.

Next thing is track width. I think most track makers in general do something quite bad and make circuits way too thin (Gabor was a common culprit early on but there are many more, myself included). Normally, it is easier to make a circuit more challenging to race by simply reducing the width but over time I feel that's cheating as a track maker. I'd rather have a circuit where you are actually able to pass someone on the outside line and still have some room left for someone to squeeze in. As a guide, I make my circuits as wide as the concrete barriers on a GR bridge (the drivable part basically). I think the bridge is a good estimate of width and stops silly little accidents from occurring. I actually would advise most people to follow that guideline give or take a tiny bit. That said, some people (like Aeon) used to make extremely wide circuits and made the layout/hmap the challenge rather than the width.

I can understand the esses are almost a straight line. Again, I wanted to go for a real looking circuit. I think adjusting the esses would mean far too much of a distortion or a change in HMap with off camber corners. I wasn't willing to do either. I'm actually more annoyed I couldn't slow down the corner before it. Just have to deal with a limitation of GR.

I do accept the fact it can be boring for some. For others it is not. I made this because I felt no one else probably would and I thought it would be a nice track to add to an already massive GR RWL collection. At least you did justify why you found it boring and I appreciate that.
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

Crowella wrote:Wouter, why did you remove my huge quote!? :weep:
Whow... thanks for the comment. I'll do my best to reply to it.

First off said that the hmap seemed flat to me. I mean, it looks like it needs more to it. It really doesn't look like there's much of it, what i was trying to point out. I checked the track in the editor after some things you said, about the worldsize and i DID notice HMap. I just forgot that higher worldsizes make less HMap differences.

About the width, you're right at the part where racers can pass eachother. Although i might sound like a complete ***hole by linking you to one of my own tracks, my Ville de Boites track HAD a flat bridge. And when looking at it, it holds space for three cars and not two, unlike a normal roadway. To me, using it's width doesn't seem right.

About thinness of the width... well, i once had a track (i put it here around 2010/11) called Brigogne. Everyone bashed on the narrowness of it, even though i was able to drive it without problems at all.

I could say, that because i'm not really fond of RWL's at all, when i'd make a comment on an RWL track, it would automatically be wrong. My point of view on GeneRally is that it's an arcade-like game, and not meant as a simulator or for RWL tracks. I always add bankings and obstacles to my track, and in some situations had people keeping my tracks just for the fun of them.
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

WouterVL wrote:About the width, you're right at the part where racers can pass eachother. Although i might sound like a complete ***hole by linking you to one of my own tracks, my Ville de Boites track HAD a flat bridge. And when looking at it, it holds space for three cars and not two, unlike a normal roadway. To me, using it's width doesn't seem right.
Since when Crowella talks about width of common district road, where a trouble comes always with occurrence of a car in each direction and one cyclist? ;)
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

Crowella wrote:
YoNnie wrote:Crowella, very good work! Track looks good, layout texture is very very cool :D
Thank you :) The textures on the circuit, the grass and everywhere is all done in a similar way. I might have to post how I do it in a tutorial.
If you want, it would be nice if you'll do a tutorial :)
ALL TRACKS
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Simple, yet still enjoyable, that's it. :bg:
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

WouterVL wrote:
Crowella wrote:Wouter, why did you remove my huge quote!? :weep:
Whow... thanks for the comment. I'll do my best to reply to it.

Quote...
Looks can be deceiving. HMap is something I don't always enjoy seeing. :shhh:

The width, well, I guess it's opinion in the end. I'm only stating what I feel is right in GR and what I have done for the majority of my circuits for the past 7-8 years. ;)

That said, thanks everyone for the comments. Good to see the track getting use :)
Trigger Happy wrote:Since when Crowella talks about width of common district road, where a trouble comes always with occurrence of a car in each direction and one cyclist? ;)
Sadly that bit is true. Motorists hate cyclists here. :worried:
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

Crowella wrote:Next thing is track width. I think most track makers in general do something quite bad and make circuits way too thin (Gabor was a common culprit early on but there are many more, myself included). Normally, it is easier to make a circuit more challenging to race by simply reducing the width but over time I feel that's cheating as a track maker. I'd rather have a circuit where you are actually able to pass someone on the outside line and still have some room left for someone to squeeze in. As a guide, I make my circuits as wide as the concrete barriers on a GR bridge (the drivable part basically). I think the bridge is a good estimate of width and stops silly little accidents from occurring. I actually would advise most people to follow that guideline give or take a tiny bit. That said, some people (like Aeon) used to make extremely wide circuits and made the layout/hmap the challenge rather than the width.
I make my tracks narrow for several reasons. First and foremost of course is that tracks are more challening (= fun) to drive when they're narrow, but I also think that a narrow road looks visually a lot more pleasing than a wide road, which is something that really puts me off in some of my older tracks. Also, a lot of times I'm having trouble trying to squeeze the layout I have in my mind to the given area, since I always want to use as much as possible of the lmap for the layout, and have as small a WS as possible. It is a lot easier to draw the perfect layout with the 3rd brush size in TE than the 4th one, which then results to a narrower road :mrgreen: In addition, I find races to be more exciting when there's a chance of mistake for the drivers, both AI and players.
That been said, I believe it would be interesting to try to make a wide and challenging track, like the ones by Aeon you mentioned. :scratch:

A few words about the track itself. I find the layout to be slightly dull. Maybe even smaller WS would've made it more interesting to drive? I think that you've done a great job with the hmap though. About the dithering, personally I dislike using sand as the main color for dithering, but if that is ignored, it looks really good. :)
A couple of smaller details I'd like to point out: I love the way you've used hedges around the track. Never thought of using them like that. :bg: In addition, I can't point out what it is, but for some reason the pit area looks really nice to my eye.
Krisu
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Krisu »

The track is fun to drive for me, I don't get why it would be boring :D
Anyway, it's great in every aspect I can think of, very pleasing to eye too,
nothing too fancy, I like it that way. Also a plus for resisting using WS255 :)
My latest creation: F-Astor Junior

I know only that I do not know

Long live speed, thrash, death, black and doom metal without forgetting grindcore!
BlackCat89

Post by BlackCat89 »

Great GR track! I'm not concerned at all about the scenery, especially if the ai keeps me on my toes flag-to-flag. Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining. Besides, if the rw scenery is boring, would a sim track's scenery be boring? This is now one of my favorite tracks to race.