[stc] Metro '85

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
CamrosX
GeneRally Trackmaster

[stc] Metro '85

Post by CamrosX »

This is my tribute to those vintage street circuits that ran only a couple races for a league. I've always been fascinated by the weird places they can put a track up. Tracks like Medowlands, Phoenix, Detroit, Beijing, and Ceasars Palace to name a few. While other scriticise these tracks, I find their odd designs interesting. One-off street circuits are my favorite genre by far.

So here is the Metro, set in 1985 due to the 80's being very popular for street circuits of that time. It is a narrow track with mostly armco barriers bordering. The track has many tricky fast and slow corners with little room for overtaking and error. Enjoy! Comes in 2 resolution sizes.
Attachments
Metro 85.zip
(43.29 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Metro (square res).gif
Metro (wide res).gif
"As you may have noticed, I've done this properly."
STOP SCROLLING!!DOWNLOAD ALL OF MY TRACKS: http://forum.gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=408
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: [stc] Metro '85

Post by Herbal »

Since my netbook seems to be out for some time, unfortunately I can't test the track, which is quite a shame. And indeed it is, because the track layout itself is the hammer. The other thing that catched my eyes is the atmosphere of the park, it's really so colorful as if the track would be placed somewhere in a fairground, next to a park. Your style is good, city is well represented, although for my eyes the lines are a bit too wide, 2px width could have been a better choice IMO. There are also irregularities in road topology, but it must be only me, who didn't see a 2×1 road heading that way through a parking lot... :P All in all, if there would be any kind of competition from me in the next weeks/months (maybe AIOC2?) I think I would be quite delighted to use this track in it! :bg:
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
CamrosX
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by CamrosX »

[quote="Herbal"]track layout itself is the hammer.

That means it's good right? :scratch:

Got a laugh out of what you said about the roads being irregular. I'm not much of a city planner and American roads are just plain weird sometimes. Thanks for the input!
STOP SCROLLING!!DOWNLOAD ALL OF MY TRACKS: http://forum.gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=408
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

Nice one!
I agree about the layout. And if the roads make sense or not doesn´t really matter.

I like your track making style. It´s a lot different from most other trackmakers around here.
Even though your tracks are very detailed, there´s always a certain simplicity about them.
(EG: I like that you build trucks out of objects instead of drawing them on the Lmap.)

Keep it coming!
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

I absolutely concur with Herbal & Scholl. :nod: I don't mind the road width either since everything looks brilliant.
The Grimeloid

Post by The Grimeloid »

Holy cow! This is fantastic!
"He's FAT!" - Steiner, Scott

"YOU'VE GOT WILLY JAKES!" - Johnson, Ahmed

"Huuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH" - Penzer, Dave

"How do you come back from a performance like this? The answer is YOU DON'T!" - NFL Blitz 2001 commentator
Bruno Asp

Post by Bruno Asp »

Congrats!!! Thats remember F1 Dallas Street Circuit. Were you inspired by that?
Bruno Asp
Velocidade na alma/ Speed in the soul/ Velocidad en el Alma
All my tracks: http://www.gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=645
CamrosX
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by CamrosX »

Yesss couldn't forget that one! I've got a bunch of tracks in the works too, so keep an eye out.