[cir] Leya - (One Hour Track)

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

[cir] Leya - (One Hour Track)

Post by Crowella »

Inspired by TuomoH, thought I'd give the one hour track a go. It was high intensity pressure, that's for sure. :rofl:

There's a few obvious bits missed here and there but given the idea and it being my first time pressure track, I can't complain about how it turned out, it's fun to race on! :bg:

AI is for Formula, I guess?

Enjoy and comment! Definitely recommend doing an hour build if you have an hour spare, you can get some interesting results! :D
Attachments
Leya.zip
(61.9 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
leya.jpg
View my archived circuits/cars here
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [cir] Leya - (One Hour Track)

Post by XYY »

Now this was an hour well spent... :D It's a great traack, challenging AI line (it's just evil when you enter the second corner too far on the outside...), good scenery (those palm trees around a pond seem familiar to me ;) ). I think the dithering is excellent, considering the time you put into this track. Only the cliff could look a little bit better, but apart from that I'm really convinced by the build quality. How much time would it normally have taken to this type of track? If this is your result after 1 hour, I believe after another hour or two you already have a :tom: winning track... I'd just add one more kerb in the inside of the left-hand corner on the left. and maybe some kind of structure behind the pit area (a fence could already be sufficient). Nevertheless, it's a great track :)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Thank you, if I am, I'll edit the Livestream I did which shows how some things (AI especially) was pure luck 😁 couldn't agree more about the cliff, just thought I'd give it a whirl.

Realistically this would be a 6-8 hour track with ease, with at least an hour as opposed to 5 mins for the AI. I do regret not putting a pit structure in but focus was racing first (and LMap, because I felt that would give most impact)

Glad you enjoy it! I find the racing on it *way* better than I truly expected, which kind of made me feel down, because it was so easily made 😂
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Alright, I secretly hoped that others would also try one hour tracks. :mrgreen: It's a solid job and a very enjoyable drive. The AI is great, even though I don't like how aggressive it gets in corner 3. The visuals work nicely. The only thing I'm missing is sunk tyres inside two of the corners, especially with checkpoint#5 being like that. :D At any rate, it's certainly a keeper.

Regarding the discussion of build time for the AI. Both you, Adam, and XYY in another thread mention spending one hour (at least) to the AI. Personally, I guess I usually spend 10-20 minutes, 30 minutes or more if it's a difficult one due to hmap and certainly never a full hour. I wonder whether this is also that I aim at good enough, not best possible? :scratch:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

You'll probably not see a one hour track from me :mrgreen: Maybe I just don't have a good hand for making AI lines and so I have to rework some sections over and over again, I don't like them if they are too fast, but usually I struggle to make them so strong in the first place that they are any challenge at all :ouch: Plus, sometimes I try to make the AI line fitting for different car types and this doesn't make it any easier. Usually the result is that the AI line is a little bit slower than optimum with each different car type, but in sum it works for every car. It's quite annoying when the AI line is so "off" for a specific car(pack) that they fly around sunk tyres etc. all the time - that's no racing.... :shhh:

Nevertheless, Crowella, I still think it's a respectable effort in 6-8 hours. To be honest, I never kept track of the building time of fictional tracks, I'm sure it's below that of rwls but I think even in 6 hours I would struggle to make something equivalent to this... ;)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

That there is why I always try to keep my AI for Formula (or other equivalent default car) because that struggle. I admit I fluked the AI here so this is not representative of the usual effort I need to put in. Sometimes I can't even win getting the line working for Formula.

Granted I don't really track hours for builds either. A more complex fictional circuit would be maybe 16 hours and the real world I don't even keep track, I just make a bit whenever I feel like it (and abandon them often 😭)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

I always make my AI lines for a particular car, 99% of the time Formula or General. That's why I don't need to spend too much time - I know how they behave so even the first line I make is usually quite alright.